PDA

View Full Version : Patching help!!!

brendan.t
02-28-2003, 07:19 AM
hi all

i'm new to this forum and ive been referred her for some help. sorry about the cross posting, but i'm not sure where to put this.

please could some body help me with spline patching. i'm very new to it.

ive created a "cage" of the object using the bezier tool. welded crossing points together and sorted out the direction to patch areas.

but...

some work great and some areas dont patch at all!

the areas that ive patched those points dont always meet up with adjacent patches and i get funny little dots.

and they dont smooth off very well. when i render it you can still see where the patches where.

please could somebody help!!

thank you.

mlinde
02-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Brenda, can you post an image of the rendered shot, so we can see the results? I have a couple of ideas, but I'd like to see your results before I stick my foot in my mouth...

brendan.t
02-28-2003, 09:18 AM
here is quick render for you to see.

hdindustrial
03-02-2003, 02:30 AM
I?m not sure this will help, but...
Is the end result symmetrical?
In some cases (both for spline patching and other methods) its easier to start editing with half of your object and mirroring it through various advancements in design.

You may also want to start with simplified curves with less points. You can then increase the geometry through metaform to finely tune complex shapes.

Also, the Hide function is great for conceal points and faces you do not want to edit.

Chazz
03-02-2003, 11:30 AM
To avoid seams, you need continuity in your patches: your edges should have the same number of points and they should align up to weld properly. The gaps in your edges are the reason that the image is rendering with lines in the mesh.