PDA

View Full Version : LW talking to PLC?

hotsaucedesign
11-23-2010, 06:19 AM
I have been using Lightwave 3D(v9 and v9.2) for a few years now and am FAR from being proficient. I work for the engineering company LaFayette Engineering Inc.(LEI). We specialize in programming conveyor controls using Allen Bradley PLC's. I have been using Lightwave 3D to draw 3D renderings of the conveyor systems we program. Then I render screen shots to be taken into Rockwell Automation software for a HMI (Human Machine Interface) we develop. With those screen shots, they draw over the conveyor I have rendered and assign tags to communicate with the PLC that display in different colors depending on whether the conveyor is running, jammed, motor overload, etc. I have been trying to research a way to take my 3D drawing from Lightwave and use it to communicate with the PLC so that it can basically be like a whole 3D world where a user will navigate through the conveyor instead of using just screen shots. In order to do this I need some way of creating a tag database of different surfaces that I could display a change in surface whenever the PLC sees a change in the program of the conveyor. If you have any idea or could point me in the right direction of somewhere to learn about how to do this it would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some screen shots of the HMI programs to maybe get a better idea of what the HMI does. You will probably get a good laugh at my drawing capabilities in Lightwave, but like I said I am far from proficient haha.

walfridson
11-23-2010, 06:33 AM
If you want an interactive version of your 3d model you should take a look at http://unity3d.com/

hotsaucedesign
11-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank you very much