PDA

View Full Version : Newtek Codec Pack doesn't work with After FX CS5

pro---studio
11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi,

today I wanted to export some lower 3rds that I created in AFX. I usually do this with the SpeedHQ codec (4:2:2:4) to preserve alpha.

Unfortunately it is not possible to select any Newtek codec in After Effects CS5. They simply don't appear in the list. They are installed right because I can select them in other apps like Sorenson Squeeze.

Maybe this is an issue that arises because AFX is now a true 64bit programm!?

Anyway - I would love to be able to use this codecs in After Effects again. Maybe it is time for an update Newtek?

Or maybe I'm too dumb to get it it to work. Then please enlighten my brain. ;)

Thanks and take care

Pro

Jim_C
11-20-2010, 04:19 PM
They show up if you use the CS5 Media Encoder and then choose MS avi. (Maybe the same within AE also?)

If AE doesn't have a direct>encoder function. Save the project and then open the project file with Encoder and I think that will work.
No loss.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90140&d=1290291784

pro---studio
11-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Great idea!

I though about Media Encoder too. But I didn't know that I can use it with AFX, because AFX needs to render the whole FX that I created within the comp.

The strange thing is - I could easily export with the SpeedHQ codec in CS4. I think it has something to do with the fact that AFX is now 64bit.

Anything from Newtek?

Regards

Pro

Jim_C
11-21-2010, 06:14 AM
The strange thing is - I could easily export with the SpeedHQ codec in CS4. I think it has something to do with the fact that AFX is now 64bit.

Think I've got it.....

From within AE

Composition>Add to Render Queue

In the render que hit the twirly to the left of Output Module.
Now click the drop down to the right of Ouput Module and choose 'Custom'. Dialog box opens.

At top of dialog box for format choose AVI, then under Video Output click 'Format Options' then 'Video Codec' and choose SpeedHQ.

joseburgos
11-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Jim, since he was able to use SpeedHQ in CS4, I take that as he knows how to choose different codec in AE. What I get out of what he is saying is that it no longer is available as a choice in CS5.
I can check tomorrow when I get in but actually only upgraded to CS5 one week ago and have not rendered out of AE as of yet.

Jim_C
11-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Jim, since he was able to use SpeedHQ in CS4, I take that as he knows how to choose different codec in AE. What I get out of what he is saying is that it no longer is available as a choice in CS5.

SpeedHQ is an option in AE CS5 64bit and the appropriate steps on how to select it using either the Media Encoder or AE itself are posted above.

not sure what the confusion is here....

joseburgos
11-21-2010, 08:09 AM
So it is there when use the drop down in AE Jim? If so, did you reinstall the codec pak or just upgrade and it was there? Again I am away from my system till tomorrow so just asking to be sure and appreciate your help as always :)

pro---studio
11-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Jose is right.

I simply can't select the codecs because they don't appear in the drop down list.

Media Encoder is no option because AFX has to RENDER the composition first before you can encode it into any format.

Here's a screenshot of AFX.

Please note that I can select the Newtek codecs in every other video app without problems on the same machine.

Cheers

Pro.

joseburgos
11-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Have you tried reinstalling the NewTek codec pak? Could not hurt, I think?

Jim_C
11-21-2010, 08:53 AM
So it is there when use the drop down in AE Jim? If so, did you reinstall the codec pak or just upgrade and it was there?

Yea. In drop down.

Hmmmmm....... I think I did install the Codec pack after CS5. Actually positive I did. I end up reinstalling the Codec pack quite often, pretty much after every video app just to be safe it registers.

Jose is right.

I simply can't select the codecs because they don't appear in the drop down list.

Media Encoder is no option because AFX has to RENDER the composition first before you can encode it into any format.

Here's a screenshot of AFX.

Please note that I can select the Newtek codecs in every other video app without problems on the same machine.

Cheers

Pro.

Then maybe you have a problem outside AE or the Codec pack because SpeedHQ shows up for me. Dunno.. ??
Maybe try a Codec pack reinstall like Jose suggested.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90179&stc=1&d=1290351064

You might want to try importing an After Effects .ae project file directly into media encoder. It also works fine for me. The dynamic link in the Suite is smart, it will render/encode encode/render whatever it has to first to get your final product.

pro---studio
11-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I reinstalled the codec pack with no luck.

And I can use the codecs in every other app on this machine.

Please make shure that you have:

-CS5 NOT CS4
-A 64bit OS system like Windows 7/64bit

In this constellation the codecs do not work (for me). Maybe this has something to do with the language settings!? Because some system folders have different names in the german version!?

What irritates me is the fact that they work in other apps (even in Premiere Pro).

Strange

Pro

Jim_C
11-21-2010, 09:18 AM
http://newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90181&stc=1&d=1290352518

http://newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90180&stc=1&d=1290352511

I think I am out of ideas...... doesn't take long....

:(

I reinstalled the codec pack with no luck.

And I can use the codecs in every other app on this machine.

Please make shure that you have:

-CS5 NOT CS4
-A 64bit OS system like Windows 7/64bit

In this constellation the codecs do not work (for me). Maybe this has something to do with the language settings!? Because some system folders have different names in the german version!?

What irritates me is the fact that they work in other apps (even in Premiere Pro).

Strange

Pro

Jim_C
11-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Oh ohohohoh oh

Maybe... 'maybe' they show up for me because I also have SpeedEdit installed on this machine?

I was searching and poking around for clues and see this in the SpeedEdit folder. It appears to be 64bit versions of SpeedHQ(?)

I'm not 100% sure how codec/installs work.Can you do something with the x64 files if I email them to you?

http://newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90182&stc=1&d=1290353285

pro---studio
11-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah - that could be the trick.

I think the Newtek codec pack is still 32bit. That's why I asked for an update.

Maybe Jose can check this on his machine (hoping that he doesn't have SpeedEdit installed).

I don't know how to manually install the codecs - maybe someone from Newtek could help!?

But let's try it - I sent you my Email via PM.

Take care

Pro.

joseburgos
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Good catch Jim, that may be it and tomorrow I can double check.

pro---studio
11-22-2010, 06:09 AM
OK folks,

I tried to use the dll and inf files that Jim sent me (thanks again) but I had no luck.

I figured out where to place them (that's where the 32bit codecs are) but it doesn't work. I think there has to be some tweeking in the registry to make it work. I think they have to be registered there.

Maybe someone from Newtek can chime in?

Thanks and take care

Pro

Jim_C
11-22-2010, 06:20 AM
OK folks,

I tried to use the dll and inf files that Jim sent me (thanks again) but I had no luck.

I figured out where to place them (that's where the 32bit codecs are) but it doesn't work. I think there has to be some tweeking in the registry to make it work. I think they have to be registered there.

Maybe someone from Newtek can chime in?

Thanks and take care

Pro

Not sure if it will work but did you try rt clicking on the .inf file and choose 'install'?

pro---studio
11-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Jim, you're the man!!!!

I didn't know that I could simply install it by right clicking. THAT WORKED!!!

Now the codecs are shown in AFX. That proves that the Newtek codec pack is not compatible with 64bit apps.

Thanks again Jim - you made my day because we have a live broadcast tomorrow and you saved me so much time because I can now export in SpeedHQ.

So please update the Newtek codec pack for all other users.

Thanks and regards

Pro.

joseburgos
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Jim, you're the man!!!!

I didn't know that I could simply install it by right clicking. THAT WORKED!!!

Now the codecs are shown in AFX. That proves that the Newtek codec pack is not compatible with 64bit apps.

Thanks again Jim - you made my day because we have a live broadcast tomorrow and you saved me so much time because I can now export in SpeedHQ.

So please update the Newtek codec pack for all other users.

Thanks and regards

Pro.

So glad Jim was able to help you and as a FYI, I checked this morning and it was on my drop down and worked fine. I did not re-install anything so it looks like because I have SE2, it was on my codec list.

Also, I take it as it is compatible with 64 bit apps as I use it in Fusion 6 64 bit as well as AE CS5 64 bit.
Take care,

Jim_C
11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Maybe Newtek should use the 15day SE 'demo' as the new codec pack.

the 15days might hook someone into buying and if not it just sits there ignored in the background doing it's codec thing like the original pack did. A big bloated 200mb codec pack but still...

:)

joseburgos
11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Oh I hear but I hope not for obvious reasons. But in a pinch, it would work as you have proven Jim.

csandy
11-23-2010, 11:42 AM
My curiosity is piqued.... was that the solution?

Jim_C
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
My curiosity is piqued.... was that the solution?

Hand install the 64bit SpeedHQ codec that normally comes with SE2 but is not in the older codec pack.

edit: which I hope didn't cross any Newtek legal lines.... http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/whistling.gif

pro---studio
11-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Well actually I could take the 64bit codecs out of our TCXD850.
So there should be no legal issue.

But Jim helped me much faster than I could boot up the 850. :thumbsup:

To sum it up again for anyone entering this thread:

The Newtek codec Pack does NOT work with After FX CS5 (because AFX CS5 is 64bit)
You need to manually install the 64bit SpeedHQ codecs that you can find on your TCXD850 or Speed Edit 2.
If you install Speed Edit2 on your machine it installs the 64bit codecs automatically.

Take care

Pro.

demetrisag
02-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Very interesting little chat you got here! Though I was wondering if there is really no legal issue again. Since I did not purchase speededit, if you could also send me those 64bit versions here as well. cause I'm trying to decide which format is best for my needs and I am really curious on how its performing on premiere CS5

Thanks a lot in any chance!

Zane Condren
02-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Here is a beta version of our 64bit codec pack http://bit.ly/dLcBGh.

demetrisag
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
wow! first i must say thanks a lot for the beta! and finally! one codec that can do alpha layers that can be multi layered on premiere without all kinds of stacking and all that. that must be a hell of a programming. I'd also like to try out the speededit in that case. but it seems I cant find a demo on the wepage?

thanks again!

P.s I'd been wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the different codecs included? e.g 4:2:0:4. 4:2:2:4, and 4:4:4:4

thanks!

pro---studio
02-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Just think of different quality steps regarding the reproduction of color:

4:2:0 has the worst color reproduction (PAL DV Standard)

4:2:2 is broadcast standard

4:4:4 is the best you can get - full luma and full color reproduction if you are doing a lot of chroma keying or a film printout that is what you want.

The last digit f.e. 4:2:2:4 means the alpha channel which is always 4 - so full resolution.

But always remember: The better the quality the bigger the files!

Cheers

Pro.

demetrisag
02-25-2011, 03:19 AM
thanks a lot for the reply mate. that was some really good explanation! In any case do you know is this affects the performance on the file. E.g if I do include alpha layers

SBowie
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
You may find this article, and ones like it, helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

csandy
02-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Funny, I was just reading that Wikipedia article and it led me down a rabbit hole I'm not sure I can climb out of! Good beginning point though. I started to think that I should work on a less confusing explanatory diagram as my contribution to Wikipedia for the month, but I've got enough pro bono on the plate! I was also taking a look at Zettl to see if there's some simple explanation for the beginner. Sounds like a summer project!

SBowie
02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
I've seen better articles (and examples). I think a patient search would turn something up.

csandy
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Yup, hope he finds something. The good ol' library is always a good place to look as well.

Jim_C
02-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Library? What is this Library that you speak of?

csandy
03-01-2011, 12:18 AM
library? What is this library that you speak of?

lol

demetrisag
03-09-2011, 03:49 AM
was wondering as you sent me a link earlier for beta version of codecs, is there any page where I could give feedback or check of there are any updates or final version?

Thanks

demetrisag
03-14-2011, 05:40 AM
bump

pro---studio
04-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Any news about the new "64bit ready" codec pack?

I still don't see it anywhere on the Newtek Site.

And Zanes link to the beta codecs isn't active anymore.

Please check if they work with the new CS5.5 Suite.

Regards

Pro.

nitnit
07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Any news about the new "64bit ready" codec pack?

I still don't see it anywhere on the Newtek Site.

And Zanes link to the beta codecs isn't active anymore.

Please check if they work with the new CS5.5 Suite.

Regards

Pro.

Hi guys,

Stumbled on this thread and I'm curious if there are any news about the 64-bit ready codec? I'd like to try it with my CS5.5 once I upgrade. (or IF I should upgrade)

Thanks,
Nit

SBowie
07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
This thread is obsolete, though your question isn't. The updated NewTek Quicktime and SpeedHQ codecs should be just fine with AE afaik.