PDA

View Full Version : not fair to Newtek or Community

digital verve
11-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi,

I came across a forum sharing download links of LW10 beta with crack and latest beta forum change logs, kindly supplied by some HC members. I presume some LW users here are also downloading it, judging by the comments (different user names of course) over there.

I think it is sad that some members of this community are involved in this directly, which is probably what really pisses me off and why I bring it up. It is not fair to those who have paid to have access to it, especially as it is still in development. I just hope those who have downloaded (stolen) it illegally do the right thing, and fork out the cash for it after it is released.

I won't post the link but have emailed it to Newtek, but they are probably aware of it anyway.

Moderators: Feel free to delete this thread if it is inappropriate.

OnlineRender
11-20-2010, 08:28 AM
link ? :rock: ,not really much that can be said on the matter , I raised that issue with a core build about 6 months ago . "

---------
Edit
---------

I'm just glad people are using it ,and if the links are tied in with NT servers , NT will know exactly who its from .

Sekhar
11-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Reply deleted.

jasonwestmas
11-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with NT kicking their arse, but we can't do anything about it except to say we frown upon it.

biliousfrog
11-21-2010, 12:41 PM
It might not be a popular view among some and I certainly don't encourage or support piracy but getting people using and talking about the software isn't always a bad thing...Autodesk reps actually brag about having the most pirated software, it hasn't harmed their sales much. I'm sure that we all agree that Lightwave has lost a lot of seats and NewTek has lost a lot of credibility over the years so having a product that people WANT to use (legally or not) is encouraging. If the application is widely known and used studios are more likely to buy it.

Unfortunately, if you want to stop this kind of thing, posting a thread on the developer's site highlighting the fact that a cracked version of LW10 is available has probably done more harm than good. I haven't bought into HC and didn't know that LW10 has been leaked online so, if I wasn't so cautious and legit, I might have headed straight to a popular torrent site and grabbed a free demo to play with.

Elmar Moelzer
11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Biliousfrog, there are a few issues with your statement.
1. There is already a free demo of LW. So you do not need a crack in order to "test" the software.
2. LW10 is currently a Beta. Beta versions are unstable and have bugs, plus a lot of things are not working correctly. Taken out of context (of hardcore and the beta programme), those people "testing" the software could get a wrong impression of LW10 and it could actually harm LW.

Finally, I think that it should be left to the developer on what terms they want to release a demo of their software to potential users. Dont you think?

One more piece of information, that might interest you: Once the crack was available on torrent sites, sales of VoluMedic 1.0 dropped into oblivion. It took VoluMedic 1.5 and the lack of a crack to get sales back up and running again. I did definitely not notice an increase in sales because of this "free demo".

jasonwestmas
11-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Bwahahaha! By all means let the software crack spread if NT Sales keep going up. That is the point isn't it? But yeah that's NT's decision.

OnlineRender
11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Not arguing just giving another point of view.

1. There is already a free demo of LW. So you do not need a crack in order to "test" the software.

"Agreed , but there's a buzz about LW10/Core ,and people are showing an interest !"

2. LW10 is currently a Beta. Beta versions are unstable and have bugs,
"All programs are unstable to a certian extent and I believe 9.6 has bugs ?"

plus a lot of things are not working correctly. Taken out of context (of hardcore and the beta programme), those people "testing" the software could get a wrong impression of LW10 and it could actually harm LW.

I dont know one person who thinks crack software is full represntation of the product .

Finally, I think that it should be left to the developer on what terms they want to release a demo of their software to potential users. Dont you think?

Agreed also , but who said it wasn't the dev team that leacked it ? , just throwing it there .

One more piece of information, that might interest you: Once the crack was available on torrent sites, sales of VoluMedic 1.0 dropped into oblivion. It took VoluMedic 1.5 and the lack of a crack to get sales back up and running again. I did definitely not notice an increase in sales because of this "free demo".

truly I am sad to hear that , plug-in /independent coders do suffer more ,its a dilicate balance and i think Biliousfrog was trying to indicate that xsi and max alone had more torrents users than full purchased ,which gave it notoriety .

Dodgy
11-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Arrgh I've gone blind!

Darth Mole
11-22-2010, 01:44 AM
So given that it's clearly not doing its job (and presumably never has been), isn't it time to ditch the dongle?

Lightwolf
11-22-2010, 01:49 AM
So given that it's clearly not doing its job (and presumably never has been), isn't it time to ditch the dongle?
But it is doing it's job - and rather well to.
The mere existence of cracks and the use of them doesn't tell you anything about the effectiveness of the dongle.
It's a bit like saying any committed crime proves that the police doesn't work (in the sense of it preventing them) - so let's get rid of it ;)

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
11-22-2010, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=
One more piece of information, that might interest you: Once the crack was available on torrent sites, sales of VoluMedic 1.0 dropped into oblivion. It took VoluMedic 1.5 and the lack of a crack to get sales back up and running again. I did definitely not notice an increase in sales because of this "free demo".[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on your statements, however volumedic is quite in a different prize range to be affordable for an avarage home hobby user, wich are those mostly likely to check out cracked software before actually buying it later on.( yepp Ivé heard that they actually have done that even from old masters)

Volumedic is also a little specialized, and you need Lightwave with it for a starter, so I can see a difference in that the sales for volumedic donīt increase as opposed to that Lightwave sales might do that.

I love the houdini apprentice version, but Im thinking of getting the apprentice HD version for 99$ that will at least let me create portfolios and work without image resolution limits, If I were to need it commercially
that would be another story wich would mean future investments in relation to that needed assignment work, or applying to a studio with that portfolio background.

Having a good Demo version fully functional that doesnīt expire and with discreet watermarks or not full resolutions are probably very important.

Howīs the Lite version of volumedic coming along Elmar?

By the way, I tried to promote volumedic to my dentist:)
They were investigating a dental medical 3d scan kit, not sure what it was but the cost were to high, around 500 000 SEK, but I beleive that was with scan hardware too.
I just mentioned volumedic for them and they were a little curios about it.

Not sure if they could have benifit of using volumedic in their dentist practise.

There was a company here in sweden that was looking for medical animators and illustrators and were looking for lightwave users, unfortunatly that position was taken before I had a chance to post my application, I wonder thou if they have adapted volumedic in their pipeline,
It sounds to me that they could benifit from your wonderful plugin.

The first step to get market share here in sweden thou, would probably be to get a more common recognition for lightwave among users here I suppose, before promoting volumedic. (It could work the other way around thou, who knows?)

Michael

biliousfrog
11-22-2010, 02:24 AM
@Elmer, there's not a demo of LW10 though is there ;)

I'm just trying to put a positive spin on a bad situation. It's a shame that your sales dropped but it could have been as much to do with the drop in Lightwave usage as the availability of your cracked software. Personally, I buy all my software because I run a business and I need the support from the developer and because it is a professional tool, a business expense...Most other professional studios do the same. If Lightwave had the user base of Max and Maya there would be more studios using the software and, therefore, more business for the plugin developers. Sure, you don't want to lose sales to torrent sites but most of those people getting the software for free would never buy it anyway...and they might end up working at a studio and influencing their purchasing decisions.

Just my 2c

prometheus
11-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Im actually gonna download the Volumedic Demo later on today or tomorrow, I do hope that most functions are there and that the watermark isnīt obscuring to much thou, You need to see whatīs happening kind of:)

I wish there was Feature videos directly up on the feature page, I know theres some videos but thatīs mostly finished renders, I donīt know if thereīs any feature videos on youtube either.

Michael

Elmar Moelzer
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
There was no crack of VoluMedic 1.5 and sales went up again.
Another result was that most VoluMedic users are non LW users. They really buy LW because of VoluMedic. The traditional LW- plugin user is not a buying VoluMedic customer.
Anyway, we have VoluMedic 3.0 coming up and there will be a few announcements regarding that and VoluMedic AE (Artist Edition) which will be lower priced, but will lack certain features.

Ty Catt
12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Elmar,

I think your software is way cool and will bring it up to my boss at our year end review as a purchase for next year. I can't believe I never ran across it sooner.

It is just what we need to keep up with the Joneses!

Keep your fingers crossed.

Happy Holidays,

Tyler

Elmar Moelzer
12-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Tyler, thanks for the kind words :)
3.0 will be even cooler! I promise :)

Amurrell
12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
**Off topic**
@Elmar
Out of curiosity, have you settled on a price point for the artist edition of Volumedic? I am working on educational materials for radiologic technologist students and VoluMedic sounds and looks like a great tool that could make my life easier, but I'm poor and there's no way, unfortunately that I would be able to purchase it at its current state.

**On Topic**
I saw this website too with the LW10 and CORE builds and I was kind of pissed (but probably because I paid for it). Then I thought who could I go to and in the end, what could they do? I mean the run around trying to find culprits, and then long legal stuff wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Of course there is also the bad light that a product in early development could get from mass distribution. Oh well. What can you do?

probiner
12-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Funny thing is... i only googled for that download because this thread was made... Even found one in chinese...

Seriously, if you know something like that is going on, don't make a thread about it. Just contact newtek and let them deal with it.
Most ppl want to know more about whats going on and you walk into the room saying there are some shamefull ppl in the next room uncovering what everybody is curious to see...

devin
12-17-2010, 08:48 AM
What's the status of continued use of the dongle, btw? Was the idea nixed to do away with it in the future?

Heldure
12-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Arrgh I've gone blind!

Im color blind so its almost burning into my eyes and making them water :cry:

zapper1998
12-17-2010, 09:49 AM
The cracked program is worthless
If u have 3rd party plugins that require a dongle tied to it to run...
bang u cant use it
so like before mentioned , the beta is buggy... and not legit for updates..

so let them crack it.. they know they have a fake and cant brag about it bahahaha

I fell good knowing I have a Legal copy not a cracked one ...

bahahahaha

:)

Michael

OnlineRender
12-17-2010, 09:51 AM
The cracked program is worthless
If u have 3rd party plugins that require a dongle tied to it to run...
bang u cant use it
so like before mentioned , the beta is buggy... and not legit for updates..

hmm maybe so , but not 100% accurate , what if the plugg'in is cracked aswell :)