PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a LCD Monitor ??? -- Help --

zapper1998
11-19-2010, 05:47 AM
What should a person consider when buying a new LCD Monitor ???

Contrast ratio ??
Refresh Rate ???

I am thinking of upgrading my old Monitors, and need a little advice for buying 2 new monitors ???

Thanks

Michael

Lewis
11-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Go for S-IPS panel or H-IPS and buy 24" or larger :).

ThriJ
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Well, if you think you might ever want to work in stereo 3D then you will want a rate of 120 hertz instead of 60. Other than that I donít think it matters much unless game FPS is important to you.

And yeah if you have the room going with around 24" is great. When I went from a small crt to that size I at first felt like I was looking into a giant void of space but now it feels natural and I now canít imagine working with anything smaller especially with LightWave3D.

As far as contrast ratio goes the more the better. Donít be fooled by a dynamic contrast ratio, sometimes they advertise the dynamic ratio but the real contrast ratio which could be very low will be hidden in the specs. Although, having a screen that has a dynamic contrast ratio mode or feature is a plus because it can simulate much more brightness range with moving imagery. And you should look for one with the greatest viewing angle or viewing range without color shift.

Also look to see what kind of in and out ports it has. This is great if you want to have a setup for both work and entertainment. My main monitor is hooked to two computers so I can switch between them without needing more space, it also has HDMI so I can watch blue-ray movies and play games (Research of Course:D) and it has a built in TV tuner so I can check on the local news & weather with the click of a button.

If you look for one with those features make sure it has a high contrast ratio and a native resolution of at least 1920 by 1200. That can be the difference between a good work monitor that can double as a HDTV and a TV that poorly tries to double as a monitor.

Well that is my 2cents, hope itís helpful.:)

Jim_C
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
If you are looking budget but quality and don't mind refurb...

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=222806&c=us&cs=22&l=en&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

Dell Monitor Outlet.
They are all fully refurbed and come with same warranty as new. Between work and home I have purchased 10 monitors from there and all of them appeared brand new and have worked flawlessly.

just a thought

crashnburn
11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Theres a lot to consider depending on your needs. Wide gamut, narrow gamut, your budget (which will play a major role), will you want to calibrate them (dual monitor calibration isn't as cheap as single, does frame rate matter, viewing angle etc etc.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

That site is a good start. As Lewis said, S-IPS or H-IPS are the ones to look for. They have good colour reproduction and wide viewing angles but have slowish response times. TN panels are quicker but poor on colour reproduction making them difficult to calibrate.

biliousfrog
11-20-2010, 06:41 AM
IPS panels or (if money is tight) a PVA panel are highly recommended. I really like Dell's ultrasharps personally, they're fantastic monitors for the price and are the only ones with a zero dead pixel guarantee...other's, such as Samsung, have lots of clauses and country specific restrictions on their dead pixel policies. 24" is a great size, you'll be looking at a screen of 1920 x 1200 pixels which is ideal for HD footage and a nice comfortable size to work with.

opm
11-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I had been looking this week the Dell 2711 with offer for 639€ but was very expensive for me now and I have been decided for 2 Dell u2311 isp for 191€ each.
My old U2407 has dead and after to view many reviews on internet, the U2311 was the best option.

Ultrasharp is the best option quality-price.

Now, in Europe, Dell have a good prices in monitors, minus in U2410 599€

prometheus
11-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Yepp ips-panels, dell 2410 is excellent for a good prize too.
I bought one for work and one at home.

Michael

biliousfrog
11-20-2010, 09:45 AM
If you're really stretched for cash these Viewsonic's are supposed to be excellent value for money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116421

They're only 23" and are a bit flimsy but are still a full 1080px IPS monitor for under $300

zapper1998
11-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you
I learned something
Never knew about IPS ... now I do....

TK
Michael

crashnburn
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I've got a Dell 2407 which has a wide colour gamut and uses an S-PVA screen which is a few years old now, but excellent. Then I have a HP ZR24w which has a narrow colour gamut which I've had for around 6 months and the colours on this are very natural but only works around sRGB colour. Fine for web images, basic print etc, but no good for any work with a wide colour range.

NEC make some very nice monitors whicj I would probably replace the Dell with if it ever conks lol.

erikals
11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
buy one that supports 3D...