PDA

View Full Version : Video Card for LW 10 coming soon????????

Joey_C
11-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Is this a good video card for LW?

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465" Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

THANKS for your help!

prometheus
11-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Im sure it is, here at work I got gtx 460 and at home zotac gtx 480.
I am quite pleased with those.

Get as much ram you can afford for the mainboard, and pick a good i7 processor able to handle as many render threads as possible.

Michael

Joey_C
11-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks Michael

Is this good enough?

CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1080LQ Intel Core i7 950(3.06GHz) 12GB DDR3 1TB Or should I get more?

Traveler
11-19-2010, 06:51 AM
LW doesnt need a high end gfx card. Unless you're planning on playing games on that rig (that need dx11 I might add) as well, do yourself a favor, save the cash and buy something low end.

The 465 series isn't great. Sure it's cheaper than the newer 480, or even the 580 (which is what the 480 should have been). Bechmarks put the ATI (or should I say AMD now) Radeon 5850 or even the cheaper 5830 above it.

prometheus
11-19-2010, 07:09 AM
LW doesnt need a high end gfx card. Unless you're planning on playing games on that rig (that need dx11 I might add) as well, do yourself a favor, save the cash and buy something low end.

The 465 series isn't great. Sure it's cheaper than the newer 480, or even the 580 (which is what the 480 should have been). Bechmarks put the ATI (or should I say AMD now) Radeon 5850 or even the cheaper 5830 above it.

Lw doesnt need high end cards? please wide your perspective on what future versions will hold.

I would rule out AMD and ATi wich Ivé heard more driver issues with, also no Cuda support wich bullet physics engine in lightwave should take use of, and photoshop and after effects aswell along with other stuff.

If you want to try some of the more coolest particle and dynamic software out there, download houdini apprentice for free, and if you like it get houdini apprentice hd for 99$ , houdini has also support for cuda bullet physics.

Why narrow it down to lightwave only really?

I choosed gtx 480 over the quadro line since there was so much more cuda processors in there.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656

prometheus
11-19-2010, 07:11 AM
You might look for a thread by dj lithium or visit his site, or check youtube where he demonstrates some gtx sparkle cards, or check rob powers demos on lightwave 10 and vpr hypervoxels for his system specs.

Michael

Joey_C
11-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks

Traveler
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Hehe, when it comes to video cards. My perspective on future software, be it games or otherwise is 18 months. Because that, give or take, is how long my cards usually last, before I buy a new one.

Buying card X over Y because LW 'might' make better use of it in the next two years is not very smart imo.

speismonqui
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I dont know much about video cards (yes, im ashamed :) ), I've reading a little bit about it, you know... the old Quadro VS GeForce VS ATI endless discussion.
I've always used geforce, never had any issues and became very happy with it. I read somewhere that Quadro cards are overpriced, and not that different from Geforce (dont know that much about ATI). Now i'm using a not that expensive Quadro FX1700.
Does anybody has used it? is it worthy for 3D and animation? is Geforce better for me, a very small one man studio?

MUCUS
03-02-2011, 03:37 AM
I'm with promoteus when it comes to say that Lightwave doesn't need a very high end video card...But as I'm playing sometimes with Octane and as GPU rendering is coming, my next card will be Nvidia Geforce gtx480 (Quadro really are overpriced and sometimes under geforce when it comes for GPU rendering) with 1g of ram minimum.

About Lightwave, I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that it only use videocard to display geometry/textures in the viewport. But I don't know if VPR for example could takes some benefits from videocard?

prometheus
03-02-2011, 04:28 AM
I'm with promoteus when it comes to say that Lightwave doesn't need a very high end video card...But as I'm playing sometimes with Octane and as GPU rendering is coming, my next card will be Nvidia Geforce gtx480 (Quadro really are overpriced and sometimes under geforce when it comes for GPU rendering) with 1g of ram minimum.

About Lightwave, I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that it only use videocard to display geometry/textures in the viewport. But I don't know if VPR for example could takes some benefits from videocard?

As I know of the VPR is solely cpu dependent, and so is fprime and native lightwave renderer, The bullet engine for dynamic simulation might/should have support to use cuda, but if lightwave core has acess to that,I dont know.

Gtx 480 works very nice at home, at work I got gtx 469 and also a slower cpu than at home.
My tries with GPU renderer Octane, gives that itīs much faster at least in preview and you also get more realistic lighting and reflections by default.
Unfortunatly I canīt use Octane for our product renders of solidworks machines..thatīs a long story wich I have mentioned before.
Iīll have to wait till refractive fixes the lightwave obj import, or lightwave getīs a better obj exporter.
Ivé mailed refractive and sent them scenefiles, but havenīt heard from them..so Im giving up on octane for now, using vpr in lightwave 10 instead.

I donīt know if thereīs any plans or a good idea to work with a cuda vpr support too?

Michael

toddd240
03-02-2011, 03:02 PM

I don't think they are producing the gtx480s for mainstream use anymore. I believe the 580/570 has replaced the 480. I use a 570 and they are fairly inexpensive.