PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to name points?

Paul_Boland
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi Folks.

Doing some work with morph targets, I'm trying to get to grips with this stuff, and I'm finding it frustrating to grab the points I need when I want to morph something. For example, let's say a mouth; has three points on the top and three on the bottom. When trying to grab the three I want to do some work with, I usually end up grabbing a number of points and have to then carefully remove the ones I don't want. Surely there's an easier way...

That got me thinking about working with polygons and how you can press Q to apply a name and texture to polygons and then press W to pull up the information panel where you can select all polygons by name. I tried pressing Q when I had points selected to see if I could name them but all I got an error message from Lightwave saying no polygons selected.

So is there a way to name points so I can easily just grab the ones I want when setting up morphs? Any advice much appreciated.

Snosrap
11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
You can create selection sets using the "s" button in the lower right corner. Just press "s" and then "new" in the drop down. Name your selection set in the window that pops up and press create. You can now select those points in the stats window. You can have multiple selection sets and points can be shared in the sets if so desired. See attached. You can also create "parts" under the "Detail" tab.

meatycheesyboy
11-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Snosrap's suggestion is the best way but as an alternative (just for options), the info panel will show you the numbers assigned to each point in the point order. The info panel can be accessed by pressing 'i'.

Paul_Boland
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!!