PDA

View Full Version : Help! Convert files to Lightwave?

Captain Chaos
11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Need to convert .max .iges .ies files to lightwave. Anybody done this?

stiff paper
11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
If I remember rightly, the ies format is nothing more than a small, simple text file with a set data arrangement.

You could try opening the max ies files in wordpad (or any text editor) and then do the same with a "normal" ies file and actually look at what the differences are... it might be possible to convert them by hand in wordpad (!!)

Captain Chaos
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I hate to admit my ignorance, but I'm totally not getting what you're talking about. Are you saying ies isn't a 3-D file?

I got a slew of random files from a client that they want lightwave renderings of. The extensions I listed were the ones I thought might be 3d files.

calilifestyle
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Down load python then install blender. import your files export to lwo or obj. If anything have client send you objs

Captain Chaos
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Down load python then install blender. import your files export to lwo or obj. If anything have client send you objs

Thanks, I'll try it. Client not being at all helpful.

rezman
11-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Those are solid files, not polygonal files so the best route is via the client as mentioned. Ask for an stl, that is usually the best way to go.

3DGFXStudios
11-17-2010, 02:34 PM
A .ies file isn't a 3D file. It a light type. It's like a setting file but it represents a real existing light that you can buy in the shops. You can just load them in lightwave in the ies light property's. Models you can convert to .obj or .fbx. What .iges files are, I don't know...If you want animation converted to LW you can use the .fbx format or geometry cache (only lw10)

stiff paper
11-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Sorry, yes, obviously I should have been more specific.

IES is a data format for specifying, if you like, the "illumination shape" of a light. I had to go off and search, but this is a pretty good explanation:
http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/max/ieslights/

I also downloaded the example ies from that article, "LTL11041.ies" and tried to open it in wordpad, which it does, and it *is* a simple text file. However, I was assuming that the ies files weren't working for you and you needed to fix them... that obviously isn't the case, so...

All you need to do with an ies file is load it onto a photometric type light in LW. It should just work... umm... at least it should just work as well as IES lights work in LW...

Edit: Ack! Yes, what 3DGFX said...

Captain Chaos
11-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Our client pulled the job, so this is purely academic now. I'd still like to figure out how to do this, though.

The ies files wouldn't have mattered this time, I only needed the object geometry and maps.

Our IT guy got me polytrans, but I could only get it to convert a .3ds file. The .max and .iges were unrecognized. Am I missing something?

prometheus
11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
we use deep exploration to convert from solidworks to lightwave, mostlyu slprt,sldasm but iges works fine too.

I usally export out to obj format,instead of lwo, since that gives a better material export and more accurate in scaling, then I just load it in and save as lwo.

you can download a demo here..
http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/de_std.html

Michael

jakuzaa
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Converter for .max files doesn't exist. You need 3dmax and export files to .obj or ask your client for .obj files.

kopperdrake
11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
We use PolyTrans with the CAD pack addition for IGES files, but can't do Max as you need a version of Max installed on your machine to get it to work. As someone's pointed out, IES files can be imported directly into a Photometric light within LightWave.

Dunk