PDA

View Full Version : Battle: Los Angeles Trailer

crashnburn
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Maybe a glutt of alien invasion films for a while, but this one looks good. Anyone wanna run odds on whether Michelle Rodriguez will survive lol.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/battlelosangeles/

jasonwestmas
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Really beautiful camera work, quite amazing! I don't even care about what the film is about I would see it just to learn how to shoot a film.

monovich
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I wonder if this was done by that Uruguayan(?) guy who did the short of the alien invasion then got the big movie deal.

Whatever the case, I'm sold! I'm a sucker for seeing LA blown up by aliens, governments, or large sinus headaches in the earth's core.

bazsa73
11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
The cheesier the better!

Kuzey
11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Mmmm....aliens can build/fly spaceships, but can't possess advanced weapons....like heat ray or laser technology :D

Kuzey

bugzilla
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Hope it's better than Skyline....wait...it can't possibly be worse than Skyline. Great! There's no where to go but up for this film!

DBMiller
11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
This really happened. To this day, no one knows what they were firing at.

Edit: I mean the 1942 event described on the movie site. Not the events in the preview. I think we'd know about that. http://www.battlela.com/

Markc
11-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Hope it's better than Skyline....wait...it can't possibly be worse than Skyline. Great! There's no where to go but up for this film!

Ditto to that :thumbsup:

lwaddict
11-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech side asks, "Why do aliens that obviously can push a button or figure out our organic weaknesses to virii always come down and battle us hand to hand?"

FX guy side asks, "Why can't they release it sooner?" :)

Big kid side asks, "Michelle, will you marry me?" :hey:

Wait...that might've been the Big Guy side. LOL.

Tobian
11-18-2010, 08:49 AM
OOOH Shiny! :)

Andyjaggy
11-18-2010, 09:09 AM
I think it's just the trend to blow up L.A. these days.

Tobian
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Well there's only just SO many times you can blow up the Chrysler building :D

jasonwestmas
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
So what is the most recognized landmark in L.A., the Holly Wood Hill sign?

monovich
11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
definitely

Mr Rid
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Each time I see the ad on tv, there is a glaring FX error that am surprised to see even in a rushed-for-trailer shot. Near the end, theres a wide shot over the burning city and one of the two planes zipping across frame just vanishes in mid frame.

Red_Oddity
03-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Each time I see the ad on tv, there is a glaring FX error that am surprised to see even in a rushed-for-trailer shot. Near the end, theres a wide shot over the burning city and one of the two planes zipping across frame just vanishes in mid frame.

The first Skyline trailer had alot of matting errors aswell (and non matching motion blur, but then again, look at the lensflares, realism was probably optional)

And back then, the first Matrix Reloaded trailers had a lot of unfinished background roto/restoration (especially in the fight with the twins in the garage.)

Alsways, fun to see, as the next trailers alwys improve the fx and thus you get a kind of time lapse of the fx shots as they get finished more and more nearing release date.

colkai
03-01-2011, 03:40 AM

See what ya made me do, made me step through the trailer. Heh, hadn't noticed it, but then, I'm just "Joe Public" so wasn't quick to spot it. I think I know why it disappears though, it goes behind the layer with the explosion flames on it, oops. :p

Red_Oddity
03-01-2011, 03:52 AM
There's also a really nice one in Avatar, never got fixed, as it showed up on the DVD/Blu-ray as well, a bug fat fluid cage edge, cutting off a smoke column.

hrgiger
03-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Well if LA is going to be attacked, I hope Jack Bauer is going to intervene.

Red_Oddity
03-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Well if LA is going to be attacked, I hope Jack Bauer is going to intervene.

Oy, aliens have rights too, you know, no need for drastic measures, like sending in that mad man :)

cresshead
03-01-2011, 05:20 AM
i hope the aliens win in this film...would be a first for a Hollywood effort

csandy
03-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Didn't aliens win in Skyline? The best alien movie ever?

Dennik
03-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Haha, good call. Just saw that. Hard to notice with so much going on.

Dennik
03-01-2011, 07:39 AM

This will only happen if they have a sequel in mind.

safetyman
03-02-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech side asks, "Why do aliens that obviously can push a button or figure out our organic weaknesses to virii always come down and battle us hand to hand?"

That kinda thing always bothered me with the Star Wars movies, like in "The Empire Strikes Back" and all a couple of the newer ones -- why don't they just "nuke the site from orbit"? Why send all their poor little robot troops to the surface to walk around, shooting each other with small arms?

It's like, they invented hyperdrives to travel great distances, then just quit innovating. The equivalent would be Ghingis Khan inventing Humvees, then attacking his enemies with bows and arrows.

Red_Oddity
03-02-2011, 05:31 AM
That kinda thing always bothered me with the Star Wars movies, like in "The Empire Strikes Back" and all a couple of the newer ones -- why don't they just "nuke the site from orbit"? Why send all their poor little robot troops to the surface to walk around, shooting each other with small arms?

It's like, they invented hyperdrives to travel great distances, then just quit innovating. The equivalent would be Ghingis Khan inventing Humvees, then attacking his enemies with bows and arrows.

Maybe because troops are cheaper and expendable, why else hasn't Afghanistan or Iraq not been glassed yet?

Or maybe nuking a place makes it hard to gather resources, or maybe the organics are the resources, or maybe most writers don't give a fly about plot holes (as if robots couldn't work in a nukes zone for example, or why fly all the way to earth when there's the Kuiper belt they can harvest.)

crashnburn
03-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Probably because those sneeky rebels are hiding under a ray shield, hence Gen Veers having to carry out a ground attack to destroy the shield generator. Argh, I'm a nerd lol. Sci-fi by definition can get away with a great deal. The main thing is, is it entertaining.

crashnburn
03-02-2011, 05:51 AM
And remember, particularly around the Star Wars era there was the constant fear of nuclewr war being pushed by the media etc. I can remember being handed a leaflet when I was young (around 1980) on what to do incase of a nuclear strike. So I reckon an atomic strike on Hoth may not have gone down too well with the target audience.

dsol
03-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Didn't aliens win in Skyline? The best alien movie ever?

The ending of Skyline is legendary in its own bizarre and terrible way. I actually quite enjoyed the bonkers-ness of it - but then again, I liked Tobe Hooper's LIFEFORCE, so what do I know? :P

csandy
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the dude that kinda looks like Satan and used to act on Six Feet Under got his brain ripped out and installed in a monster alien but in a fit of self determination defended his baby momma and when after the other human brain transplant alien monsters.

Seemed pretty straight forward to me. :-)

Red_Oddity
03-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, the dude that kinda looks like Satan and used to act on Six Feet Under got his brain ripped out and installed in a monster alien but in a fit of self determination defended his baby momma and when after the other human brain transplant alien monsters.

Seemed pretty straight forward to me. :-)

Dude, spoiler alert!

But, i kinda liked it, seems to go way back to the 50s scifi roots, where aliens came to harvest human brains, or where brains themselves.

It was such a ludicrous movie, but strangely enough i enjoyed it a whole lot more than Micheal Bay's latest offerings.

csandy
03-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Dude, spoiler alert!

Ha! Can that movie actually be "spoiled?" If it were any other movie, I probably would have put a giant notice at the beginning.

I have to agree, Skyline could have been a good movie. It just took a few too many leaps, and expected the audience to go right along with it without even the slightest bit of explanation. If done from the "Cloverleaf" perspective, and that might have been the technique - to have a first person perspective of the invasion - it might make a little more sense. But even Cloverleaf gave a hint or two as to what was going on.

If someone decided to actually write a decent screenplay, I'd go watch a sequel.

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
..... or why fly all the way to earth when there's the Kuiper belt they can harvest.)
Now you're just being logical. :D

:: puts on retcon hat:: Mmmmm, "hyperdrives only take you to one gravity well to another, so the Kuiper Belt is STILL far away." Ooooo, good one.

Or, as you said, the organics ARE the resources.

tischbein3
03-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Well on the issue of "beeing to serious" with a story / this years scifi releasses:

http://apollo18movie.net/

never thought it would be good, but seeing the trailer, it comes pretty close to how I ever imagined to visualise the destructive emptiness of space and the claustrophobic conditions inside a small space capsule.

Tobian
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
That really looks quite cool! :)

cholo
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Maybe they just want to come and destroy us for fun. If their tech is advanced enough they probably are capable of living forever and that can get a bit boring. :)

Btw... Hand to hand combat would add the element of fear of death to the experience. Kinda like playing russian roulette to feel more alive.

dsol
03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Btw... Hand to hand combat would add the element of fear of death to the experience. Kinda like playing russian roulette to feel more alive.

Heh - maybe that was the rationale behind "Predator" too :)

Elmar Moelzer
03-07-2011, 01:07 PM
never thought it would be good, but seeing the trailer, it comes pretty close to how I ever imagined to visualise the destructive emptiness of space and the claustrophobic conditions inside a small space capsule.

Oh god, not another shaky amateur camera horror movie.
I am a space science geek and a sci fi fan. Especially realistic scifi gets me all excited. BUT this movie... I think, I am going to pass on that one. The premise is silly. I mena how could Apollo 18 have gone unnoticed, its not like that a SaturnV laucnch is a small event, its not like there were no radio communications, etc, etc). Sigh...

jeric_synergy
03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
There is DAMN little 'realistic' scifi, that's fer sure.

When is someone going to take some of Greg Egan's short work and make it into a film?

tischbein3
03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I mena how could Apollo 18 have gone unnoticed, its not like that a SaturnV laucnch is a small event, its not like there were no radio communications, etc, etc). Sigh...

Well thats easy: Since Apollo 11 actually took place inside a movie studio..... :devil:

No, seriously, when I first read about it, I felt exactly the same way...and this makes my feelings toward this now even worser.

But I think I must use more drastic measures to make my point a bit more clear:
Please compare it to this ( if you dare):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SDpXMbVsw

(Its even just such little details, like the sound reflections inside the cabins of both clips)

Tranimatronic
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM

lol !
I was pipeline director on that shot. There IS a story behind it - but I'm under NDA and cannot tell :)

zapper1998
03-07-2011, 09:00 PM
it should have been like Portland Oregon... little town in the hills ...
some nice resort town or something

cant wait to see it... when it comes on netflix ..

csandy
03-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Just saw Battle L.A. Was it just me, or did the invading aliens seem to lack motivation?

gordonrobb
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Saw this film on Sunday and I really liked it. If I have one complaint is could have been 10-15 minutes shorter.

Interestingly, that shot (with error) was right there on the screen in the first 2 minutes of the film. So not just a 'rushed for trailer' shot.

dsol
03-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Just saw Battle L.A. Was it just me, or did the invading aliens seem to lack motivation?

Maybe they were just miserable about being forced to murder all those sentient beings in order to steal their resources. A bit like blackwater troops in the middle east <JOKE>

Though at least human mercs don't have their guns surgically welded to their arms. Yet.

Tobian
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Other than the general motivation for 'water' which is somewhat dubious for a spacefaring race (though it has to be said is easy to 'mine' on earth, if they are also oxygen breathing life forms) I don't think there needed to really be a motivation. It never got that far. I enjoyed the 'realism' for a lot of the technology, though they seemed oddly under-armed for the task they had to complete. Details aside though I loved the movie, and it was a gripping edge-of-the-seat ride all the way through! :)

dsol
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
It was probably the best example of a film in which the skill of the director and actors managed to salvage a stunningly terrible script.

I really enjoyed the film. I have to say, it's the most video-gamey film I think I've ever seen though (good thing I like COD and the like!)

ianr
03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah,Dsol
I agree with the salvage job and all that Sgt.Rock gunho stuff was very kitsch
& retro funny.
But nice camera angles and camera shake in the machine-gun fight scenes.

Tell me, why do aliens who use water as a energy source still use 'fire'
i.e. Muntions like us for bullets, me and the shot Mexican popa don't understand?

One thing for sure, District9(.2) it aint!

csandy
03-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Amen to that. I really enjoyed the movie though. I went in with low expectations.

I agree with the fellow above that said they seemed under armed.

If they found a script writer, ther could actually be a decent sequel. You could explain away the first film like this:

Ever played a real time strategy (RTS) game like Command & Conquer or Starcraft? Sometimes you sent a loser expeditionary force to your enemy to test his defences.... Just a thought.

Mr Rid
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Interestingly, that shot (with error) was right there on the screen in the first 2 minutes of the film. So not just a 'rushed for trailer' shot.

I'd like to know how that was ever missed by the entire chain o command. Looks like the foreground plane element wound up behind an area mask for the fire in the background. I have yet to see poor trailer FX that were any better in the final film.

The creature at the end of the latest Thor trailer is the worst, from design to render. How, what...?

cgisoul
03-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Other than the general motivation for 'water' which is somewhat dubious for a spacefaring race (though it has to be said is easy to 'mine' on earth, if they are also oxygen breathing life forms) I don't think there needed to really be a motivation. It never got that far. I enjoyed the 'realism' for a lot of the technology, though they seemed oddly under-armed for the task they had to complete. Details aside though I loved the movie, and it was a gripping edge-of-the-seat ride all the way through! :)

Did you find this comment helpful? XD

Hell Yes! I haven't watch it yet. Looking forward to it. Skyline was a total disaster/disappointment.

cgisoul
03-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Yeah,Dsol
I agree with the salvage job and all that Sgt.Rock gunho stuff was very kitsch
& retro funny.
But nice camera angles and camera shake in the machine-gun fight scenes.

Tell me, why do aliens who use water as a energy source still use 'fire'
i.e. Muntions like us for bullets, me and the shot Mexican popa don't understand?

Because we use water for shower?
Because it would look like we playing with our kids in the back of the garden with water guns?

:D

Not sure, just guessing here as I haven't watch the movie yet.

jasonwestmas
03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Ever played a real time strategy (RTS) game like Command & Conquer or Starcraft? Sometimes you sent a loser expeditionary force to your enemy to test his defences.... Just a thought.

Historically speaking with humans, that's not far from the truth. Why send the kings men in first when you have some nice and healthy peasants. There are more of those to spare typically. (Cruel I know)

Tobian
03-16-2011, 08:35 AM
It has to be said that could well be the case, and these forces were just sent to soften us up/test us out. It's very possible they could send more waves, and humanity was pretty much burned out, in terms of military units/force, by the end of the movie, and quite a few major cities were completely wiped out, which would destroy world economy too... Expect a sequel :D

ianr
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi cgisoul,
A good question! But the riff is that if you got high engineering Juice like them Aliens. Then in lowly earth engineering terms we can right now drill pretty,mean and accurate holes in Steel wid' high pressure water-jets, thats the riff alright

Csandy,
Love that!That a great thumpin ending that would have made,with the Marines thinking, Yep, they had won. Not knowing it was after all a 'loser' force sent in to test mankind.
They all celebrate, when the big nurnie 'muther' comes down through all clouds, in all world locations...No more horizon.. just the inside of a 'Death-Shell'... no more sunrises from now on...
There you go.... you got a sequel and Damn, I have eatten too-much cheese again!

Matt
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I really wanted to see this, is it worth it? Read some really bad reviews.

dsol
03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
I really wanted to see this, is it worth it? Read some really bad reviews.

It's very entertaining, so long as you leave your brain in neutral. it's a lot better than Skyline, though not as insanely-demented plot-wise (the script is very thin - barely better than a SyFy special!). Direction, acting, FX and action are great.

Ignore Ebert's review. He hates videogames (claiming they can never be "art") - and this film is very VERY videogamey. It even has noticeable "boss" sections :)

EDIT: Just to clarify - when I say the acting's great - I mean it's amazing they found people who could sell the terrible script and dialogue convincingly. Aaron Eckhart was a very good casting call!

Tobian
03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
though it's never stated in the film, seawater is a source of tritium(a neutron rich isotope of hydrogen), which is required for fusion. So that would make a certain sense. I mean Jupiter is likelly full of the stuff, but actually getting near to Jupiter without getting killed by radiation, fried by the massive electromagnetic field or sucked in by it's gravity well, makes mining it from there problematic :D

I really really enjoyed it. If you go in expecting baysplosions and simplistic dialogue, then you can't go wrong. I can understand people disliking it, nothing is for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It won't touch the sides on an intellectual level, but not every film needs too :)

ianr
03-16-2011, 11:02 AM
hi Matt,
Take what dsol said,about the actors squeezing what they can out of a pretty
generic & telegraphing retro script. At least it didn't embarass my woman like 'SkyLine'
did. I think you will enjoy some of the chops!

P.S. We think Emily Blunt in Adjustment.b. is a great vibrant piece of acting, now that's for sure!

Matt
03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Well, I'm a sucker for nice effects when it comes to aliens kicking our arse, so I think I'll brave this one!

aurora
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the comments, like Matt I have yet to see it but I LOVE good FX even if the movie sucks. I'll actually have free time next week and want to go see this, and Sucker Punch, they'll be the first movies I've seen in a year!!!! So now you guys have me somewhat excited.

Ernest
03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I remember in Zulu, how they sent a bunch of warriors just to measure the range of the soldiers' guns.

However, my theory is that they were a biker gang from their planet, probably in stolen ships that they didn't understand the inner workings of, and with weapons stolen in a different planet (along the way) after they ran out of high-tech ammo.

cgisoul
03-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi cgisoul,
A good question! But the riff is that if you got high engineering Juice like them Aliens. Then in lowly earth engineering terms we can right now drill pretty,mean and accurate holes in Steel wid' high pressure water-jets, thats the riff alright

Csandy,
Love that!That a great thumpin ending that would have made,with the Marines thinking, Yep, they had won. Not knowing it was after all a 'loser' force sent in to test mankind.
They all celebrate, when the big nurnie 'muther' comes down through all clouds, in all world locations...No more horizon.. just the inside of a 'Death-Shell'... no more sunrises from now on...
There you go.... you got a sequel and Damn, I have eatten too-much cheese again!

Man... I have to hate you, you just told me the end of this movie. Spoiler! :hey:

ianr
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Cgisoul,
Just chill,thats just my very silly ending if you care to read it again.

i was uploading csandy's sequel idea, i don't like to Upset forums