PDA

View Full Version : Plug In Search

@NiM8R
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Everybody!
I created a scene in v5.5 about 9 years ago and I am attempting to re-assemble it in v9.6. Nearly all the components load until I hit a request for "LS/PT-RT Shader Handler" plug in, followed by a crash when I choose not to load what I cannot find. Any suggestions on getting around this, or even what plug in this may have been? I appreciate your ideas. - Thanks!

nickdigital
11-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Hm...long shot suggestion but do you still have the 5 installer files?

adk
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Assuming they are there, would deleting the references to the shader in the scene/txt file work ? Just a wild stab in the dark.

PS: I still have the original 5 disks if you need to do this the hard way.

Lightwolf
11-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey Everybody!
I created a scene in v5.5 about 9 years ago and I am attempting to re-assemble it in v9.6. Nearly all the components load until I hit a request for "LS/PT-RT Shader Handler" plug in, followed by a crash when I choose not to load what I cannot find. Any suggestions on getting around this, or even what plug in this may have been? I appreciate your ideas. - Thanks!
That plugin was used for LScript based surface shader but is obsolete nowadays because LW since then can load LScripts natively.

I don't really know of a way around it though except for stripping it in V5.x. I suppose you could also report it as a bug.

Cheers,
Mike

@NiM8R
11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - Is it possible to open the scene file in some sort of editor and remove that particular line of code(?) then re-save the file - not sure if I'm using the correct terminology. Or could I send the file and all the assets to someone who has v5.5 and get them to re-save the scene sans the troublesome shader plugin? I appreciate everyone's expertise in this area. - Thanks

Lightwolf
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - Is it possible to open the scene file in some sort of editor and remove that particular line of code(?) then re-save the file - not sure if I'm using the correct terminology. Or could I send the file and all the assets to someone who has v5.5 and get them to re-save the scene sans the troublesome shader plugin? I appreciate everyone's expertise in this area. - Thanks
It's a shader plugin, which means it's applied to the LWO, not the LWS.
And since the LWO is binary and not ascii you can't just go in and edit it.

Which basically means: Option #2 ;)

Cheers,
Mike

@NiM8R
11-17-2010, 10:36 PM
When you told me:
"It's a shader plugin, which means it's applied to the LWO, not the LWS.
And since the LWO is binary and not ascii you can't just go in and edit it."

You gave me the idea to eliminate the object throwing the monkey in the wrench. I remember originally applying "GThick2" shader on the surface of a glass tumbler in the scene, so I went into the objects folder, deleted and replaced it with a new glass tumbler I just made and Voila! Layout responded: "Thank you sir, may I have another?" HA! - You Da MAN Mike!
Thanks!

zardoz
11-18-2010, 05:36 AM
when this happens, if you really need that object, you can always import it in some other 3d package/converter and bring it back to lightwave