PDA

View Full Version : reflecting light with a mirror?

Svenart
11-16-2010, 04:55 PM
hello,

Im asking this for a friend who is too lazy to join here :D

He wants to sent a projection image with a spotlight to a mirror, and the mirror should reflect the image/light onto another wall.

Do you have any idea or tips for this?

Lightwolf
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
That's what you basically call caustics.

If it's as simple as you describe then projecting the image onto the other wall is probably the best way to handle it (maybe even render as a separate pass and composite in post).

Radiosity would work as well, but I'm afraid that'd be couple with massive render times to look o.k.

Cheers,
Mike

Svenart
11-16-2010, 05:34 PM
thank you. I also told him to try it with caustics, but he says it is not working. As far as I know, he wants to project a image over the the mirror onto another wall very detailed and sharp (Like a beamer for example).

Lightwolf
11-16-2010, 05:47 PM
One thing that may work is a spotlight behind the mirror with some clever light exclusion and a flipped image (horizontally that is).

Cheers,
Mike

Amurrell
11-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I was wondering if this is even possible without using an unbiased rendering engine. I don't know if caustics alone would do it. I mean you can't split light through a prism in LightWave but you can in the likes of Maxwell, LuxRender, Indigo, etc. You get my point. Sooner, but most likely later they can resolve an image like this and maybe the reflection you're talking about but.. I mean I guess you could come to think of it, but has anyone ever tried with any success? The quickest approach would be to trick the effect in a way that Lightwolf suggests.