PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - Saving Tranformed Object

zapper1998
09-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Help please

I was doing the tutorial

And when I cloned the object, then replaced the object, then saved the transformed object.
It told me I could not save the Transformed object ????

http://www.synthetic-images.com/Tutorial/tut_8.htm

Can some one help me out please I need to know what I am doing wrong here, why I can't save the transformed object ???

Michael

luka
10-08-2003, 02:55 AM
Yes I am having the same problem can someone help please.:(

zapper1998
10-08-2003, 06:26 AM
were is the "EMERGENCY HELP BUTTON" on this thingy dohicky any how???
:confused:
:confused:

luka
10-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Perhaps Newtek could answer this one pleeeease?

toby
10-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Is this the only situation that 'save transformed' doesn't work? What system are you guys using?

luka
10-09-2003, 03:21 AM
I'm using OSX.2.8 LW7.5c:)

zapper1998
10-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Win2000 operating system
On a Dual PIII 1100 ghz
1.5 gig ram
LW7.5c

TheDAve
03-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I've just reached the same point and have the same problem. Did anyone find a fix or work around?

It appears to me that save transformed does not work on objects that are made of just points.

LW7.5c
WinXPPro
512Mb
Celeron 1.4

Also, can anyone tell me what this step is supposed to do? If I have a complaint about this otherwise great tutorial it would be that its more of a step by step instruction list than an explanation about what you are doing.

I'm guessing that the points should be transformed by the displacement map, and this is what should be saved, correct?

DAve

Lukesutherland
03-22-2004, 05:54 PM
perhaps ask the author of the tutorial?

[email protected]

toby
03-22-2004, 10:01 PM
TheDAve is right! It won't save transformed objects unless there's polygons - it lets you go through the motions, even warns you if you're going to overwrite something, but no new model!

Use the 'points to Polys' command in Modeler, then save your transformation from Layout, then back in Modeler hit 'k' to remove the polys , leaving the points. Hell, you could even just hit 'p' and make one big messed up poly, it will displace the same way. I just tried both ways and it works.

In the tutorial he states, "(Note to Mac users; Apparently the "Save Transformed" function does not work for you. Sorry.)"

Any PC users here have the same problem?

DAve, maybe you should email the guy and tell him how he can correct his tutorial, because Save Transformed does work on the Mac, just not for points -

TheDAve
03-23-2004, 05:17 AM
Cheers toby,

I worked the points to poly thing out eventually, but for some reason was looking for a polys to points function... I completely forgot about 'k'... Doh!

Thanks for that.

As for the PC vs Mac thing, I'm using a PC!

Since the tutorial seems to refer to old or moved menus I wonder if this used to work for LW6.

Just to provide more info for any other newbies like me that may be having the same problems...

As toby points out you can leave the points as single point polys, and that will allow them to be seen in layout.

The LW manual says

The HyperVoxels volumetric filter is usually applied to a points-only object or a null object. The reason is that polygons may be visible after rendering and usually this is not desired. However, having polygons may make the object easier to see in Layout. In such cases, you can use the Unseen by Camera object property.

So if using single point polys does produce a problem the poly can be hidden and the hypervoxel effect still seen.

I also found an alternate solution to this problem in this topic (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4970&highlight=Displacement+mapping+in+Modeler)

Here the same displacement map that was used to create the terrain can be used to displace the points in modeller.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem, and thank you again toby for your help.

DAve

pixelinfected
03-23-2004, 08:22 AM
ok, it seems a lack or lw bug, if you find it, don't forget to build a simple scene, with all instruction to reproduce the bug, and send to newtek.

this help developer to understand bug, and do better lw 9.
(for 8 the game is off, for 9....)

TheDAve
03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
OK, I'll do that.

BTW, I should have checked my facts before quoting the manual.

Turning on unseen by camera seems to stop the hypervoxels rendering also.

At least it seems to for me, mind you there is always the (good) possibility that I'm doing something completely stupid. :)

DAve