PDA

View Full Version : new member / old user query about dongle

catherinepalmer
11-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone, hope you can help with a query of mine which I sent to Newtek weeks ago but which hasn’t been responded to:

Dear Newtek,

about 3 years ago when I purchased my current PC I contacted you regarding changing my parallel dongle for a usb one, and you pointed me to your European branch.

I duly sent them my current licence ID details for all my versions from 4.0 to 7.5d (as a home user I have no need to upgrade every year and frankly now cannot afford to keep up anyway), but despite follow-up emails from me over a period of a few weeks they did not reply at all, not even to say the IDs were invalid (which I know they're not as they've all worked perfectly over the years and in any case I have the physical CDs too so can photograph them as proof of ownership).

My next PC will be purchased some time early next year and none of those I'm looking at have a parallel port of any kind, so I need to know if :

1 > will the existing parallel dongle work with an adaptor such as the one at http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-25-way-parallel-converter-cable-15m/42882.html?
2 > if not, will it work if I can find a parallel port card for one of the free slots in the PC chassis?

If no to both, how much is the cost of changing (I'd not call it an upgrade merely a cross-grade) from parallel to usb, and given Europe's previous lack of response do any of the LW resellers for the UK as shown on your site at http://newtek.com/reseller_locator/int_results.php?region=22&territory=437&product=1 have the authority/ability to do the exchange, and again what is the cost (hopefully no more than £20-30).

Given that originally Newtek-Europe didn’t reply even when they’d been given all my serial numbers, and now the main branch hasn’t (or do they take months to do so because I’m only a home user?), can someone be honest and let me know if there’s anything rude about the email, because I can’t see anything: it gets straight to the point without twittering on about what I had for breakfast or what my tube journey was like that morning, and asks specific questions. Or is it because I'm only an amateur user with an old version that’s no longer supported?

I’ve called some of the resellers listed for the UK but they don’t sell to individuals, only companies, and the one person I got an answer about the dongle from wanted to rip me off to the tune of well over £100 for cross-grading less than a fiver’s worth of plastic and electronics.

Hope someone can help, as I love LW7.5 and need to carry on using it on my new PC next year.

Catherine.

PS. I've noticed posts on this forum only go back about 5 weeks, so does that mean questions are being asked over and over again? Seems rather strange.

nickdigital
11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Have you tried getting in touch with the customer support at NewTek USA? They might be able to get the ball rolling on what you need to do or talk directly with NewTek Europe.

I would think using a parallel port adapter would work. I do agree that having the USB dongle is much easier. I recently changed dongles due to the same reason you have...my new computer doesn't have a parallel port.

Good luck.

FHL
11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Hello,
I am very surprised and very sorry that you did not get an answer and I apologize.
We are offering free exchange for // dongle to USB to registered LightWave users wo owns LightWave latest version (9.6+Core) or to LightWave users upgrading to the current version. 9.6+CORE (including Free LightWave 10 upgrade).
You just have to contact our sales department by email: [email protected] or use our FREE callback service available from Newtek Europe home page www.newtek-europe.com
Thank you
Franck Lafage
NewTek Europe

catherinepalmer
11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Thank you for the replies; I’ve just sent an email to Newtek Europe and will wait to see what they say. PS. The email address is “[email protected]…”, not “[email protected]…”, which bounced as undeliverable.

Catherine

FHL
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Thank you for pointing out the problem you encoutered with the email adress [email protected]
This adress should have been working. The problem comes from recent changes in our Email server. This should be fixxed in the next 48 Hours.
The adress [email protected] is fine and you should get an answer very soon.
Thank you for your patience.
Franck Lafage

DMarkwick
11-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I just built a new 64-bit system, and it doesn't have a parallel port at all, so I tried to contact CS too as I only upgraded to LW10 last week, although I haven't had a reply. But, I did get a notice that "something" had been posted to me - can I assume this to be my new USB dongle?