PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxel Memory Leak

head worm
11-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I'm currently working on a particles project for a prestigious client! Unfortunately we've found a massive memory leak problem rendering hypervoxels in any flavour of 9.6, including the latest build of 9.6.1.

I can't find any mention of this in the discussion forums, but i can't believe I'm the only one as it affects both Mac and WindowsXP 64 bit. The computer just endlessly ups the amount of RAM usage until it breaks the machine.

This is caused by simply having the Hypervoxel volumetric plugin activated. It doesn't matter whether there are actually any HVs in the scene at all.

Can anyone else replicate this issue (it's happening on four separate machines with mixed OS here). And, the holy grail, does anyone know of a fix / workaround??

Thanks
David

dballesg
11-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I tried to reproduce it here on LW 9.6 64 bits (computer specifications in my signature), simply adding HV and doing a render on a empty scene and I cant reproduce it. The memory spent is for the Image Viewer, but after close it it's recovered.

Can give more steps on what you do to see if I can reproduce it?

David

head worm
11-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi. Thanks for a quick response!

Well I'm getting the error rendering an animation. Each frame doesn't appear to give back any memory and so the RAM usage just stacks up.

Although they aren't active, there are probably references to HV objects in my scene ie. there are nulls that had HVs applied but have since been switched off in the HV editor.

I suspect the best way to reproduce this is to put a null in a scene and add a default HV surface to it. Then render a decent frame range animation that shows the incremental increase in RAM usage. As I said, this is happening on both Mac Snow Leopard and Windows XP64. So it must be a fundamental LW issue not a platform specific one.

Hope this helps.

lardbros
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I think there are other things that have this going on too... I don't remember what they are, but it increases the RAM usage as each frame is rendered. Hey, it may even have been HV, and reported in the beta forums.

dballesg
11-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi,

I tried to reproduce it again with TWO Nulls. Activating both, rendering, and then turning off one, and rendering again. The memory oscillates about 100Kb up and down, but doesnt increase incrementally.

Are you using any other plugin on your scene aside HV?

I will suggest that you try the same test with a very simple scene the has the same problem and post that one here so we can try to render a sample that is giving you the problem. If not it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to figure out if this is a HV problem.

David

head worm
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
I seem to have isolated the issue with HV memory leak! It's spherical refraction maps.

If I have a completely default HV applied to my particles, no problem. Add almost anything i like to the "Surface" shaders, no problem. Add a spherical refraction map in the Environment tab and Wham! All the memory just leaks away.

Is this a previously unknown issue then?!

dballesg
11-17-2010, 05:17 AM
I seem to have isolated the issue with HV memory leak! It's spherical refraction maps.

If I have a completely default HV applied to my particles, no problem. Add almost anything i like to the "Surface" shaders, no problem. Add a spherical refraction map in the Environment tab and Wham! All the memory just leaks away.

Is this a previously unknown issue then?!

Nice catch! :thumbsup:

I can confirm it. Used two Nulls, first render only one null with an image on the refraction map in the Environment tab, and memory increased as you said. After sinish the render 100 frames, I copied the surface to the other Null, and rendered again and the memory increased again.

On both cases after the render was finished. LW didn't free the memory used. A clear Scene DIDN't free the memory either. I needed to restart Layout to free it.

You must Fogbugz it with a simple scene :)

David

head worm
11-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Well - seeing as I don't know what "Fogbugz" is and you've already created a simple scene, why don't YOU submit it?!! :)

dballesg
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Well - seeing as I don't know what "Fogbugz" is and you've already created a simple scene, why don't YOU submit it?!! :)

I don't know why I was having the impression after I wrote my previous post you will say something like that! :D I will prepare a better scene and submit it. :D

Fogbugz is the bug report system that Newtek uses. If you had a look to Chuck Baker's signature there are links to instruction on how submit bugs:

Bug Report and Feature Request Database Instructions (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73226)

And if I understood the system, if two different users submit the same bug, FogBugz will join those two reports giving it more importance. But not 100% about this.

David