PDA

View Full Version : My new Showreel...

Sarford
11-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Hi guys,

I just finished my new showreel. I hope to get some job with it, preferably in London. Could you please take a look and see if it's OK before I send it out into the world?

http://www.vimeo.com/16758691

Cheers,

Simon

littlewaves
11-15-2010, 05:52 AM
really nice stuff.

one tiny tiny and hopefully constructive bit of criticism is that I found the depth of field effect on the first animation a bit overdone and as a result a little distracting.

But great stuff. Sad to see not much lightwave usage but that is in no way a criticism of you.

Titus
11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow! 5 minutes, it's a very long reel.

dandeentremont
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
I liked it, but I feel the pace is very slow. I think with some shot cutting and speeding up (like doubling speed in some shots) you could hold people's attention further.

SBowie
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I had the same feeling, actually. I'd like it more if it was a little faster, maybe half as long, and with more cuts.

For example, you could use the 'dynamite' scene as the background for the whole 'story', cutting away briefly to show another snippet, then back to show what happens the next time he detonates the pile of blocks. Edited properly, you could turn that into a nice running gag with good pacing between laughs. (For an example of really nice crisp editing, you could do worse than watching an episode of Top Gear.)

Snosrap
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
You know your stuff but it's way too slow! How'd you get rights to use Coldplay. :D I liked your breakdown.

geo_n
11-15-2010, 08:10 PM
The quality is very photoreal. I like the intro very much but I think its too long. I think only 30 sec or less is good.
The room with smoke is not very interesting to see that long.
Before sending it out I suggest a lot of edits. Make a thread in the gallery wips like I did maybe some people give their time.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114106
Try to cut your work into pieces and not very long clips.

This is a reel. You should take your time.

meatycheesyboy
11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree with many of the comments that have already been voiced.

Overall it is quite good but it is very long. I think the walk cycle can be deleted, you show your grasp of character animation with the first piece so later showing something as basic as a walk cycle seems a bit redundant.

Even though I love breakdowns and think that they are fun to watch, I assume this reel is going out to professionals who probably know how you put the shots together without you having to show them. By keeping the breakdowns, you are essentially showing the reel twice in a row. If you want to keep the breakdowns to show things like mesh flow, you can integrate them into the initial presentation, you don't need an entire section devoted to them.

I really liked the little touches that you added to the titles, like the treadmill around the word walk cycle, the layering of the word breakdown, etc. They show that your reel has some real thought behind it. Hopefully those types of little touches won't go unnoticed by the people you send the reel to.

3DGFXStudios
11-16-2010, 03:13 AM
I liked it, but I feel the pace is very slow. I think with some shot cutting and speeding up (like doubling speed in some shots) you could hold people's attention further.

I agree with this comment. Make it more snappy and not longer than 1 minute :thumbsup:

Sarford
11-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, this is really appreciated!

@ littlewaves: Cheers man, that increased DOF was deliberate, I hoped to give the clip a bit of a miniature feel with it. My wife agrees with you :D

@ Titus: Thank you for watching, Titus.

@ dandeentremont: Thanks, I'll do that.

@ SBowie: thanks for watching. I really like your idea for the cutting but I'm too scared to ruin my little devil clip with it, I'm not that good of an editor really.

@ Snosrap: Thanks man, I'll speed it up. The music is from Jon Hopkins ;)

@ geo_n: Thanks for your time, geo_n. I'll shorten the little devil clip but I don't think I can get it to 30 sec. Smoke room will be shortend. You think I could try to get a job in Japan? Always wanted to live there :)

@ meatycheesyboy: Thanks Joshua for your explanation. I think I will keep the breakdowns. The reason behind them is to show that the shots from the reel are composited and not straight out from the renderer. I hope to show with it that I think about how to render a shot in passes and layers for easy comping before sending it out to the render engine. I do share your concerns though and wasn't sure myself if I should add them or not, but most people seem to like them. I'll speed them up a bit though.

@ 3DGFXStudios: Thanks man, you got it! :D

I'll be back later today with a new edit.

Sarford
11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok, the new edit is online:

http://www.vimeo.com/16904318

Password: blinq

I'm sorry for the password, but the video in the link in the first post is in a competition so I can't change it, and I don't want multiple reels to be visible for anybody on my account.

The reel is quite a bit shorter, all in all I managed to loose almost 2 minutes. Tell me what you think, is this more acceptable?

Snosrap
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
@ Snosrap: Thanks man, I'll speed it up. The music is from Jon Hopkins ;)

I see he worked with Coldplay on the Viva La Vida CD, that explains it. Still not so sure I would use it in your reel though as it's too recognizable as the first and last track in that CD. Also I think you need more content or something cause it's still too slow and boring IMO. Not that your work is bad, it's really good actually, it's just this reel is not paced right. Surely who have more stuff you could add without extending the duration. :)

geo_n
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Much better. If you made other good work like stills, just include it and pan around or zoom in to make movement. I've seen some reels that do this and its effective.
If you want to work in japan, make sure to pass JLPT LV2 atleast. Without being able to communicate, there's very little chance. Similar to a friend of mine who wanted to work in UK as a compositor but only knew basic english, no one hired her of course whos going to talk to her in japanese :D.
An australian guy I know works for a studio in Kichijoji that made Akira studied japanese for 4 years on and off before coming to japan then spammed all the studios listed in CGworld Japan. Thats the way to do it:thumbsup:

Netvudu
11-17-2010, 12:25 PM
If you want my input, itīs still long-ish. The introduction is nice, but too long. The shot in which the little devil is looking at the falling blocks is weak animation-wise compared to the previous face animation shown during the intro. You could cut that shot. You donīt need walk cycle. Your already established your CA skills with the intro. I would only add it if it was substantially better than the CA shown in the intro, but it isnīt. Itīs the same level.

I loved the "it came from the sewer" work. Lots of style there. I wish there was more environment or even a full environment (I know itīs a helluva lot of work. I said "I wish" :) )

The car was ok ,but meh. I mean itīs nicely done, but Iīve seen similar stuff thousands of times. I understand you want to state you know your compos, and obviously you do, but itīs a bit boring.

The contract thing was also long and no action apart from the cigarette smoke. I would cut there as well.

Including the breakdown at the end is a way of making reels. I donīt love it, but Iīve seen done it many times so I guess it could be ok.

Just my 2 cents. Here hoping you find a nice position.

Dexter2999
11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
The newer reel is much improved.

Critisizms:

As others have pointed out the walk cycle is redundant in that you have already shown that character walking and more at the beginning.

The car composite is redundant. You present the finished product then the steps later.
You could simply put the break down in. Then move to a split screen at the end if you want to accent the finished work with the original plate.

"It came from the sewer" is long. This is probably because you wanted to give the viewer a chance to take in all the details. You could do this better by doing multiple renders with close ups of the details you want to showcase, the face, the gun, tentacles. Then edit these together in a montage fading between details with the same running time. You then have a more compelling more detailed segment for the viewer. It will hold their interest by forcing them to notice the details and most likely it will seem shorter even if it isn't.

I also echo the previous post encouraging you to showcase any traditional art pieces you have. They will help you fill out the length of the reel while cutting redundant work AND (very important) they stress that you are an artists and not just a pixel pusher (like me).

Your reel "as is" isn't bad. But it could be stronger.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Dexter2999
11-17-2010, 11:03 PM
If you want to work in japan, make sure to pass JLPT LV2 atleast.

The JLPT changes this year. Too many people complained about the huge jump from L3 to L2. So, now there is N5, N4, N3, N2, N1. (From what I have read.)
I think it is supposed to line up
N5=L4
N4=L3
N3=new level
N2=L2
N1=L1

Would a person still need N2 level or do you think the new N3 is going to be sufficient?