PDA

View Full Version : 2mb/s from a scsi drive

Jdeutsch
09-24-2003, 08:33 AM
I ran an autoconfig and saw that the 2 scsi drives I'm using are showing only a 2mb/s transfer speed. What the hey?

kleima
09-24-2003, 08:52 AM
I would backup any important data right away, if I were you!! I just had a drive go bad.
Weird behaviour like that could be a drive failing. Has it ever reported higher, or is this the first time for you to run the test on those drives?
Is you drive indexing off? Are the drives badly fragmented?

Jdeutsch
09-24-2003, 08:57 AM
The drives are defragged and this drop in speed happened quite suddenly. Drive indexing is off and I used to get speeds of about 100mb/s.

Next step?

Thanks!
J

kleima
09-24-2003, 09:10 AM
BACKUP YOUR DATA!!!!
Check the disk manager to see if it lists errors for any of the drives, or if it lists the stripe as "at risk".

Jdeutsch
09-24-2003, 09:12 AM
No errors are listed for either of the two drive arrays. Im backing up now. Anything else?

Scott Bates
09-24-2003, 10:38 AM
AFTER you've backed up all your data, go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download their disk checking software, usually found in the warranty section; it's what they want you to run on a suspect drive before you request a replacement RMA. Run that on your drives and see if it finds errors on one or more of the drives.

Dan Hong
09-24-2003, 06:45 PM
I'd have to concur. It sounds like one of your drives is about to take a trip to doodooland. Back up your info if you can. Before you go ballistic and start anything crazy though, I'd unseat, and reseat the scsi cables. Sounds crazy, but I had this happen once. If it's still a problem. I usually break the striped set and format the drives individually. Run the NewTek autoconfigure or some other disk checking program. The sick one will be obvious.

Jdeutsch
09-25-2003, 06:48 AM
Hi Dan,

I re-seated the scsi cables in both drives. Then, I individually formatted each of the drives. The autoconfig is taking an awfully long time (it's still running now) for each of the drives (H,I,J,K) in the second tower.

There is one stripe set in the second tower that I did not format in hopes that I'll be able to save some of the data on it.

Turns out that the R/W speed of drives in the first tower (G, H) are 50 mb/s. The stripe set that I did not format ( the two remaining drives in the first tower, V) are now reading 96mb/s.

Dan, and everyone else, thanks so much for the help. It looks like the second tower has bit the dust. Any ideas as to what I can do to try and remedy that tower?

I downloaded and ran a SeaTools diagnostic check but the check is not recognizing the SCSI drives. Is that because they are external? SeaTools recognizes the IDE drives, which are not SeaGate, but does not see the SeaGate SCSI towers.

Again... thanks a lot and please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

:) J