PDA

View Full Version : Which Video Card?

Joey_C
11-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Which video card do you like the best for a 64bit PC running LW only.

soon to use LW10

Thanks for your help

biliousfrog
11-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Depends what you can afford and what size PSU you have...I just got a GTX460 after my 9800GT died, not as power hungry as the 485 but almost as powerful. I don't know what demands LW10 puts on the GPU but, performance wise, I haven't noticed any difference between the 9800, 460 or my quadro 1500 in 9.6...lightwave has always had very moderate display requirements. I would suggest staying away from ATI cards because they are notorius for having issues with 3D applications although some people use them without a hitch.

prometheus
11-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Ive got me the zotac gtx 480 with nvidia chipset, and Itīs working fine and dandy, I had the quadro fx 1100 before, but that one is pretty old.

as mentioned above, I would stay away from ati cards.
Nivida gtx cards also supports cuda wich ati doesnīt, Bullet physics engine in lightwave core is supposed to make use of that.

And if you feel the urge to try out houdini, same goes there for Itīs bullet physics, even thou sideeffects, recommend quadro cards instead of gtx cards wich might be because of driver related certifications.

Also even if you only think lightwave now, a compositing program such as after effects is mostly demanded as a companion, and of course photoshop too.
Photoshop and after effects is supposed to have accelerated features that automaticly detects cuda enabled cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_photoshop.html

otherwise get a good i7 core processor aiming at getting so many render threads you can, important for viper and the renderer.
I got the i7 960

get as much ram you can I have 12gb.

Thereīs a heavy poly scene with the alien space jockey on the foundation 3d site, that scene was impossible to spin around in open gl with my quadro fx 110 card, could be the ram of course, but now with the gtx 480 and 12 gb ram it spins around smoothly in layout without lagging.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/15289600