PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave => Unity3d, Shading help

Wittywop
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyone has messed with Unity3D, but it seems to be really kinda cool. I am working on a First person shooter type "game" to do a walkthrough of a new building.

I am quite new to Unity so I am not sure if I am missing a simple step someplace. The problem I have is when ever I import a model into Unity I get weird shading. Looks like i get a gradient color across the face of each polygon. I am trying to get a smooth consistent color across surfaces. I have attached some screen shots so you can see what I am talking about.

I am going to ask the same question in the Unity Forum aswell, just was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Thanks for the help.

ArtGoblin
11-14-2010, 10:31 AM
looks like a smoothing error or something. Is the street mesh triangulated?

Wittywop
11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I have smoothing off, When i do a quick render in layout the surface looks okay. just looks odd in Unity.

I added a wireframe of what i am working with. not sure what u mean by triangulated.

Kuzey
11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks like the same problem you get with mesh imported into Poser....see if this helps:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105059

Kuzey

ArtGoblin
11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Hmmm... looks like Kuzey has pointed out one solution. I'd suspect it would work, maybe if I have time I'll do some tests in Unity3 I have to start playing more with it anyways :)

Ohh and by triangulated I meant did your mesh that you imported into Unity have all it's polygons in tris, most engines want to get their mesh in tris, but if you don't do it yourself, then the engine will often automaticly do this for you, but it can often couse problems with the UV's for exsample.

DigiLusionist
11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
The gradient shimmer indicates overlapping polygons.

When the polygons have a dark or black look to them in Unity, this usually means a rendering error due to problem with one or more polygons that make up a convex shape. The same thing for faces that appear partially across the opening of a hole in the geometry created by a boolean operation.

The solution is to select the problem polygon(s), and use the Split tool to subdivide it a bit more at the corners of the area where the convex shape is created. Or, eliminate the problem faces in Modeler and recreate them.

Wittywop
11-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks so much! I went through and ran triple on all the polygons that make up the sidewalks and then re imported to Unity and was able to get a nice smooth look to it. Now I just need to go back and do that to the building itself, but at least i know what I am doing now.

I think it will look very good once all done.

Again thanks so much.