PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: Smooth Shift w/falloff

jeric_synergy
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Imagine a hollow 'pillar' composed of 6 vertical tubes, like a cage. Now, grab the top & bottom and twist so that the tubes describe a helix.

So, to make a test object for IVY GENERATOR (http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/) I was making such an object. Then I decided that I wanted it to bulge in the middle, like a sphere were trapped inside. Using POLE I could do that, but the tubes flattend out rather radically (see image).

I wanted to use SMOOTH SHIFT to plump the tubes back out, but Smooth Shift doesn't seem to have any sort of Falloff at all: neither spatial nor Weight Map modulated.

Is there a way to get SMOOTH SHIFT to Falloff gradually?

Tnx!

TripD
11-17-2010, 01:50 AM
If you were to create each post via rail extrude, the spline you use to shape each helical post could be bulged out with the size tool using a radial falloff from the origin before you use rail extrude. No shape distortion then.

Dennik
11-17-2010, 07:48 AM
If you were to create each post via rail extrude, the spline you use to shape each helical post could be bulged out with the size tool using a radial falloff from the origin before you use rail extrude. No shape distortion then.

That would be my approach as well. You only need to rail extrude one spline, and then use the radial array tool to clone the rest.

JeffrySG
11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I was thinking that you could use a point normal move or a move plus right click but neither of them have falloffs... :(

This is where real soft selections would help too.

JeffrySG
11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
You could do this:

setup a morph target with them thin

set up a morph target with them thick - I would use point normal move

then use the airbrush tool to widen them out in the center nice and slow with a low strength setting and large brush size.

base

thick morph

airbrushed

Kuzey
11-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Jeffry's idea got me thinking and I made a quick little tutorial :thumbsup:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1080522

Kuzey