PDA

View Full Version : Minus One Remake, opinions needed

alanestrada
11-13-2010, 06:21 PM
2 years ago I worked on a little short for a competition, the deadline rushed me and I was not able to finish the project like I wanted to...

I uploaded to youtube the result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opDkEbPCFSk

I want to redo it, now with voice overs in english, better models and some scenes that were cut because of time but that were needed to make the storyline understandable.

The idea for this short started when I thought about the kids now studying in elementary school and learning the planets, when it was my turn pluto was a planet, now it is not considered one.

So the story is about an astrounaut who chases aliens because he finds out that there is a plan to destroy all planets, they of course already succeded with one. At the end of the story we discover that the astronaut was in fact a little kid and he got the idea of the planets being destroyed because he heard his father say that he had one more when he was the kids age.

Please give me all the feedback you can...

The original short was called Minus One...is that understandable in english?

What other names would you suggest?

The planet that wasnt there? 9-1? I'd like do hear some suggestions.

Thanks everyone in advance.

alanestrada
11-15-2010, 01:32 PM
zero replies...c'mon guys, please write your feedback, the more the better....or should I kill this project?

I reused the characters for another render, here it is:
http://vimeo.com/5478346

Kuzey
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
It has a nice retro feel...but, it's hard to comment when it's not in English.

Maybe the aliens could destroy the real planet of Pluto and replace it with a fake afterwards to fool the rest of the universe?

And later in the movie, have a shot of a newspaper article saying that Pluto is no longer considered a planet....that should help out with the plot.

Anyway, it looks like fun, best of luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kuzey

calilifestyle
11-15-2010, 03:07 PM
the 2nd on vimeo, cool i like it. How did you do the tel-port. Within LW3d.

alanestrada
11-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Kuzey, I forgot to mention that I added english subtitles to the video in youtube. please click on the Close captions button, thanks for your suggestions.

Calilifestyle, teleport was done using after effects. I used some layers of noise and then distorted it a little. All renders from Lightwave were pngs so I had the alphas for each object from there.

What about the name of the short?

calilifestyle
11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
well Since the original name is "Uno Menos" right. in Spanish it kind of implies more then then in English "Minus one". maybe I'm wrong. When you titled it "Uno Menos" your saying it like you leaving someone behind right.

alanestrada
11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I was thinking on changing it to 9-1, just like that...
or maybe the planet that wasn't there or something like that... I dont think minus one makes much sense in english, but Im not sure about that since it is not my mother tongue...

calilifestyle
11-18-2010, 02:10 PM
i wouldn't Do the (9-1) when i first looked at that, i thought you meant "9 though 1". i figured i was wrong and thought it was "9 dash 1". i finally figured you mean "9 (minus)1". But this could just be me.

SBowie
11-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Pluto was predicted before it was discovered. During the pre-discovery phase, it was referred to as "Planet X". Given that it's actually true, that would be kind of a cool name, but maybe it's a bit too corny sounding unless you know the facts. Another factoid I've remembered since I was a child with his first telescope is that Pluto was discovered using a blink microscope, which seemed quite clever to me. "Blink" would be a cool name (as in "Blink, oh there you are" and then, sadly "Blink and you're gone!").

zarti
11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
i like Blink ...

goodLuck !

Liber777
11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
"Binky Henderson, Destroyer of Worlds"

..or whatever the character's name is. (:

alanestrada
12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I liked the Planet X & blink references, thanks guys.
I'm planning to post this project in Kickstarter, I will post the link when I get it.