PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 going dongle free?

Speedmonk42
11-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I lost my dongle again in the summer and sort of feel like they will send ninjas after me if I try to buy another.

I move around so much. Set up and take down my laptop in different places sometimes three times a day, let alone different cities, planes, trains... ect...

I am considering upgrading to LW 10, especially if there is no more dongle.

Any chance?

mattclary
11-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Nope.

jasonwestmas
11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Not that I have read.

zapper1998
11-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I put a little key chain and a key fob on it so it will stay within grasp and does not get lost, attaching the little chain to the laptop, keeps it from disappearing..

cagey5
11-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Going back a lot further, Jay Roth said this..

"The final version of CORE will have a different licensing scheme. The beta versions of CORE will start off with the same dongle, however; if that changes, we will let you know."

I'm not aware of any statement to the contrary since then.

jwiede
11-14-2010, 06:13 AM
As long as plugins can continue to use LW's unique serialization to root their own schemes, whether LW's own scheme is based on a dongle or not is largely irrelevant. C4D doesn't use a dongle, but plugins can base their schemes in C4D unique serials, and that approach works about as well.

Since dongles never appear to have slowed LW piracy much, why bother? They're inconvenient for customers, and expensive for both customers and publishers. Meh, good riddance.

Lightwolf
11-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Since dongles never appear to have slowed LW piracy much, why bother? They're inconvenient for customers, and expensive for both customers and publishers. Meh, good riddance.
The same goes for any licensing scheme... and their only reason of existence is to stop casual copying - not hardcore cracking...
Mind you, for that reason LWs dongle based system still makes a lot more sense than 95% of purely software based systems (imho, but this has been discussed here ad nauseam).

And there's always people and studios that use cracks, no doubt.

Cheers,
Mike