PDA

View Full Version : SONY DSR11, Firewire and VT3 Connection

Tom Wood
09-24-2003, 08:02 AM
I just added a Firewire connection from the computer to a SONY DSR11 DVCAM tape deck. I went through the Add Deck setup in the Deck Control section of the manual. All went well. However, to my surprise, when I hit Play the program signal from the DSR11 deck went out through the Firewire, through the VT card and out to the video monitor, just as if there were video/audio cables connecting the DSR11 deck to the system. But there isn't. The Deck Control section in the manual specifically said that the Firewire was for control only, and that video/audio cables had to be in place.

So, the question this raises is: Is there a signal conflict brewing here? I'm using a SONY PVM14L2 video monitor and going in with Y/C (S video) since that is the best the DSR11 has. But isn't the Firewire connection DV, and therefore inherently a lesser quality signal? When recording, how do I prevent the Firewire DV signal from over-riding the Y/C signal (after I add that connection) or is that a concern at all?

Thanks,

Tom

PIZAZZ
09-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Actually there is audio/video cables connecting the deck to the system, it is your firewire cable.

In theory the DV signal through the firewire will be your best signal since it is completely digital.

The SVideo output is not bad by no means.

I would batch capture through Firewire if I were you. Quick and easy.

Us Texans have to stick together so drop me a PM if I can help.

Rich Deustachio
09-24-2003, 12:21 PM
But when bringing in thru firewire are you guys capturing as DV or uncompressed? Which is better when coming in firewire. By better I mean quality, not saving disc space. I have the same deck and use the y/c in and will be adding a firewire card soon.

PIZAZZ
09-24-2003, 01:21 PM
If you are shooting in DV, edit in DV, and output in DV. UNLESS you are going to be doing lots of compositing. If you are compositing and bouncing layers around then record uncompressed.

At least thats what I do.

Tom Wood
09-24-2003, 01:50 PM
I dunno. I'm animating in Lightwave, doing overlays in TED, and going out to tape. I was going to add a S-Video cable from the monitor to the tape deck, but now I don't know which signal will take priority.

TW

Rich Deustachio
09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Whichever one you have selected in your switcher.

Tom Wood
10-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Rich Deustachio
Whichever one you have selected in your switcher.

Okay, I must be dense. In Switcher, I see the YC selection option, and the VT-Edit selection option, but if I click on YC, the screen goes blank and nothing is recorded. If I click on VT-Edit, I get what comes out of VT-Edit, but is it going out over the Firewire or out through the S-Video (YC)?

I added the DSR11 as a DV deck so I can control it, but I don't want to record DV from the computer do I? Is this similar to music analog/digital converters, where the conversion may occur in several places? Is it a matter of converting to DV at the deck or at the computer?

Thanx,

TW

Rich Deustachio
10-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Are you using the BoB or just the input cables?

Tom Wood
10-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Just the input cables.

Edit:

I think I've answered my own question. Although the Firewire cable will deliver video and audio INTO the computer from the deck, it apparently won't deliver audio out, so I'll assume it can't deliver video out either and the signal I'm getting is uncompressed out through the YC cables. And now that I've thought about it, that YC input in the Switcher must be for the other set of video cables into the VT card, the set I don't have connected because I'm just doing animation. Never planned on using the Switcher until I tried to get too fancy for my own good.:rolleyes:

Thanks,

TW

bradl
10-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Tom,

DV input will supply Audio and Video for capturing or switching through the Firewire cable. Right click Switcher or Audio Board and select the choice that says something like Microsoft DV Camera or Capture Device.

I don't use DV very much but did capture some last week. I found that the Capture Panel (VT3) defaulted to capturing using the DV codec while in Batch Capture it was RTV. Audio should come in with the DV signal, but make sure you have it checked.

Others have stated in the past that they actually prefer YC in from a DV source. Better color or clarity, I don't remember. Additionally using YC you can record it in a format that is 4:2:2 (DV is 4:1:1), like PicVideo MJPEG, but still be a comparable size as the DV, allowing better layering and keying. Or of course you could go RTV which is uncompressed 4:2:2.

On some cameras you may find that you have to specify what type of output, so YC (SVHS) may not be available if DV out is selected.