PDA

View Full Version : 3D World -Issue 136 (Dec)

OnlineRender
11-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Every month , I will start a new thread on the latest edition , it's nice too talk about techniques and say well done ,esp the LW artist(s) that help with excellent training material . . . 21 LW tips

So, Well Done Tobian , Proton ,Dan & Kurt .

I haven't read threw it all yet ,"always put the disc in first :) " so if I missed yourself , please accept my apologise in advance .

Thanks for representing Lightwave . .

cresshead
11-13-2010, 11:52 AM
is that the issue with the Robot on the cover?

OnlineRender
11-13-2010, 11:54 AM
is that the issue with the Robot on the cover?

is indeed . ..
Benjamin Parry made it ?

cresshead
11-13-2010, 11:55 AM
cool i'll pick it up tomorrow before the F1 race starts!

link to the 3d world website
http://www.3dworldmag.com/

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=89920&d=1289674816

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=89921&d=1289674980

safetyman
11-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Rats -- here in the US we have to wait a few weeks. :(
You brits are lucky indeed.

OnlineRender
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM

I feel the same waiting on movies from the US coming over here ! :deal:

Titus
11-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Buy a subscription, it's cheaper and get yours early. I've received mine last week.

Philbert
11-13-2010, 08:58 PM
I've always wanted to subscribe to 3D World, but even if it's cheaper the subscription is still pretty expensive.

kosmodave
11-14-2010, 02:15 AM
I guess I'm lucky that I am able to subscribe, issue 137 dropped through the letterbox yesterday which includes a small lighting tutorial for Lightwave. There is also a calendar using images created in Modo which I have to say are simply stunning and should keep all the other CG app creators on their toes.

Dave.

Philbert
11-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Well at least I can still buy them individually, at the very least browse through them in he store. Luckily I have both a Borders and a Barnes & Noble here so if one doesn't have it the other usually will.

OnlineRender
11-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Well at least I can still buy them individually, at the very least browse through them in he store. Luckily I have both a Borders and a Barnes & Noble here so if one doesn't have it the other usually will.

I only have WHSmiths , and it's a race to buy it first ! ,but luckily I know the other guy , so if he gets it first , he generally gets a text from me :)

Philbert
11-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Yeah it's like that around here too, Not many CG artists around here so the stores might get one copy each.

Titus
11-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I've always wanted to subscribe to 3D World, but even if it's cheaper the subscription is still pretty expensive.

It's expensive but I've decided to subscribe for the first time at SIGGRAPH. For some strange reason I couldn't say no to that girl at the 3dworld mag booth :D. When the subscription is coming to an end they send me a couple of reminders, everyone with a small discount.

safetyman
11-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Well, I also get 3D Artist (another great UK mag), so a subscription to both is totally out of the question for me. I actually like that they are somewhat expensive -- keeps the drivel from snatching up a bunch of copies before I get to the bookstore.

littlewaves
11-15-2010, 05:58 AM
keeps the drivel from snatching up a bunch of copies before I get to the bookstore.

and "drivel" = people with less money than you?

Tobian
11-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Cheers! There's also a cool article on video capture by Ben too! :)

dandeentremont
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Every month , I will start a new thread on the latest edition , it's nice too talk about techniques and say well done ,esp the LW artist(s) that help with excellent training material . . . 21 LW tips

I haven't read threw it all yet ,"always put the disc in first :) " so if I missed yourself , please accept my apologise in advance .

Thanks, OnlineRender!

safetyman
11-16-2010, 05:39 AM
and "drivel" = people with less money than you?

drivel = people who just buy magazines for the pictures. Lighten up -- I was trying to be funny.

wrench
11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey Andrew,

More motion capture than video capture, although the two are coming together more and more. Exciting times ahead...

B

Greenlaw
11-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey Andrew,

More motion capture than video capture, although the two are coming together more and more. Exciting times ahead...

B

I haven't seen the article, but I've been using the iPi Desktop Motion Capture system for some time now, and finally got a good workflow down for using it with Animeeple and Lightwave. There's a lot of talk about using these programs with Lightwave over in the Animeeple thread located here:

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101917&highlight=animeeple&page=25

I start describing our current workflow near the bottom of the page, and I'll be creating full tutorials with video and pics after we finish our short film project.

If anybody has questions about this topic, please post over there; it helps me if I can respond to a single forum thread for this topic.

G.

Greenlaw
11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh, and if you want to see an example of markerless mocap using this system, here's a little test I did last summer using an older version of the software:

Sword Test (http://www.youtube.com/user/LGDTestTube)

This older version of iPi DMC did not track head, shoulders, or wrists, but the current release of iPi DMC does track the shoulders! Getting shoulder tracking to work must have been tricky, so I think the other stuff will arrive eventually.

I also have more info at my blog: Little Green Blog (http://littlegreendog.blogspot.com/)

G.

The Scientist
11-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Much thanks for the acknowledgement OnlineRender. Hopefully this article helps out. It's all about giving back to the LW community.

Thanks again,

-Kurt