PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Effects Width?

Tony3d
11-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi all, I need help. these fibers need to be a little thicker. I'm talking about each strand. fiber width won't do it. How can I thicken each fiber in Layouts fiber fx?

Dodgy
11-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Are those guide fibers? I.E. made out of 2 point polys?
If they are, you could render them as negative width edges.
Go to the Edge tab of the object properties panel and set the Polygon/Particle size to say -2.

Tony3d
11-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Ok, I don't fully understand this. In modeler I made single point strand. Are these guides?
I made a lot of them. Was I only suppose to generate enough to show layout where they would grow? How do these two plugins work together? I assume if I made more than one edge I would then use the polygons generated in the next layer correct? Could you please explain the thinking behind these plugins, because I'm just stabbing at it. Thanks.

Dodgy
11-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Okay, FFX can work in two ways, either applied to a poly object it will generate fur to cover that object, (and you can style that fur using Layout tools in the FFX panel) or strands of 2 point polygons are used as guides to tell the FFX how to grow. FFX is a pixel filter that draws many lines lit to look like hair, fibre width in this case just controls the fibre opacity, so lower values are more transparent and so look thinner to the eye.
So to add actual thickness, don't use FFX, but select your poly guides you already have and open the Properties panel, go to the Edges tab and set the Particle/Line thickness to say -2. This will render the guides as tubes which you can surface using the Surface Editor.

Tony3d
11-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Okay, FFX can work in two ways, either applied to a poly object it will generate fur to cover that object, (and you can style that fur using Layout tools in the FFX panel) or strands of 2 point polygons are used as guides to tell the FFX how to grow. FFX is a pixel filter that draws many lines lit to look like hair, fibre width in this case just controls the fibre opacity, so lower values are more transparent and so look thinner to the eye.
So to add actual thickness, don't use FFX, but select your poly guides you already have and open the Properties panel, go to the Edges tab and set the Particle/Line thickness to say -2. This will render the guides as tubes which you can surface using the Surface Editor.

Now your talking about layout right? Say you have a flat poly you to grow grass on. You must first activate ffx in modeler to make guides right, or can you just load that object right into layout, and start up ffx? I'm still confused because Newtek told me to just use the polygon it generates in modeler. I'm really confused. If you had a poly, and only put several strands on it in modeler, in layout could you then fill the entire polygon with grass, or would it just generate grass around the few from modeler? I wish I could actually talk to someone about this.

Dodgy
11-13-2010, 08:22 AM
If you just want a fur like object, like grass, just activate FFX and apply it to the plane. For more complex hair arrangements usually for head hair or something like that, you need to use guides, which you make in Modeler.

The easiest way find this stuff out is to just try it.