PDA

View Full Version : Pictures

pquinn
11-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Hello All.

If newtek is reading this, please respond. Anyone know when the lightwave 8 gallery pics went to or knows where they are. I would like to see them again. There was a lot of great work in there. I want to show other what Lightwave 3d can do.

Later

Paulq

Iain
11-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Show them the current gallery then................

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/95_gal.php

prometheus
11-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Show them the current gallery then................

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/95_gal.php

Ohh..you mean the lightwave 8 gallery is in there too?

Michael

Iain
11-12-2010, 12:54 AM
No but surely if you wanted to "show other what Lightwave 3d can do," then the current gallery would be the best option?

prometheus
11-12-2010, 02:59 AM
No but surely if you wanted to "show other what Lightwave 3d can do," then the current gallery would be the best option?

Why exclude great work from the 8 gallery?

The gallery of Lightwave 9 i out there,wich Im sure pquinn must be aware of, but thatīs not what he wanted to get hold off.

Michael

Iain
11-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Why exclude great work from the 8 gallery?

Well, as I already alluded, if you want to show what LW can do, why point to what was, in my opinion, an all time low for the software and its galleries?

The LW 8 output was decidedly amateur compared to the other galleries/forums. There was some good stuff but not in high quantity.

LW held its own through the 6 and (arguably,) 7 releases pitching itself as an all rounder that wasn't quite as good as the competition, but cheap.
During 8, things were definitely on the slide. A lot of the great LW artists (hobbyists included) migrated to other apps. They felt restricted and swa the grass was much greener elsewhere. FPrime kept a few on board, luckily.

Nowadays, I think the LW output actually does compete quite favourably in a few sectors. The renderer is a competitor once again, particularly for high quality stills rendering, hence the impressive current gallery.

prometheus
11-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Well, as I already alluded, if you want to show what LW can do, why point to what was, in my opinion, an all time low for the software and its galleries?

The LW 8 output was decidedly amateur compared to the other galleries/forums. There was some good stuff but not in high quantity.

LW held its own through the 6 and (arguably,) 7 releases pitching itself as an all rounder that wasn't quite as good as the competition, but cheap.
During 8, things were definitely on the slide. A lot of the great LW artists (hobbyists included) migrated to other apps.

Nowadays, I think the LW output actually does compete quite favourably in a few sectors, particularly high quality stills rendering, hence the impressive current gallery.

Yepp that might be a good point, but if pquinn would like to pick out those specific few high quality pictures wich he felt looked stunning individually, instead of pointing to the gallery, thatīs up to him, and if he does it that way then it really wouldnīt be a negative showcase.

Itīs another story thou if Newtek doesnīt want the old stuff up public on the main site, but a link to the older stuff might be useful to get hold of if asked for.

Michael

UnCommonGrafx
11-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Actually,
It doesn't seem to be up to him as regards getting them.

It would seem, as well, that The Now is what someone would want to tout about a program; why go looking at a long ago past for inspiration as to the current software?
Seriously, there is very little comparison outside of the good ole lw flow.

Go modern be modern do art.

prometheus
11-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Actually,
It doesn't seem to be up to him as regards getting them.

It would seem, as well, that The Now is what someone would want to tout about a program; why go looking at a long ago past for inspiration as to the current software?
Seriously, there is very little comparison outside of the good ole lw flow.

Go modern be modern do art.

I just disagree, obviously thereīs something very good made that caught pquinns attention right?
Quote"There was a lot of great work in there"

Michael

Iain
11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Maybe we should just wait for pquinn to clarify what he wants rather than speculate and discuss on his behalf:hey:.

prometheus
11-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Maybe we should just wait for pquinn to clarify what he wants rather than speculate and discuss on his behalf:hey:.

:agree:

pquinn
11-21-2010, 05:09 AM
WOW!! Hot topic. I wanted the pics from the lw8. Because there are 1. more to show and 2. the artists that put work there deserve to have their work shown off. LW 3-8 has nothing and in mean nothing to ashamed of.

Recently i watched the b5 series start to finish. the stuff they were doing back in the day holds its own. Some of the work from 8 was simply amazing. even by todays standard.

I was looking for some of the architecture pics that were in there. They were good pics to show what $900 could do for you, with a not so great pc.

Of course i understand that newtek wants to only show the off the new lw 9 ,10 and core, but i think the quality of work done in there still deserves some respect.

Thats my 2 cents.

So what say newtek, where did you hide the lw 8 pic gallery. i really it was archive and not just deleted

UnCommonGrafx
11-21-2010, 05:21 AM
When/if you find that they don't answer you here on the forum, try a message to customer service or a moderator around here.
Good luck.

Iain
11-21-2010, 06:20 AM
I was looking for some of the architecture pics that were in there. They were good pics to show what $900 could do for you, with a not so great pc.

Well, fair enough but, as is often said, good work comes down to the artist not the software.

As someone who has been doing architecture with LW for years, I'm very happy to have 9.x and not 8.x.
The hoops have all been removed and you can actually use radiosity now without applying tricks to work around the shortcomings that made the 8 cycle a bit of an embarrassment.