PDA

View Full Version : any idea's on a rainy day?

ruud
09-24-2003, 03:28 AM
hey do any of you have suggestions on how to create 'good looking' rain??

I'm puzzlin' with particles, because the box-method doesn't look 'good' to me...

If any one of you have suggestions, or have a movie that shows-off some good looking rain.... I'M GLAD TO HEAR / SEE THEM!

Thanks!!

Ruuterdetuuter

iluvatar
09-24-2003, 06:50 AM
i once made a rainy day with particles and hypervoxels... but it doesn't look very good looking from a close distance to the drops... but if you don't have any drops close to the camera, this is the way to go i guess...

meshmaster
09-24-2003, 10:11 AM
metaballs

ruud
09-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Meshmaster: Metaballs/?? for the ground? you mean that the drops can melt with the ground? or to create some fog??

iluvatar: I know the HV's don't look good up close...

Say? you're from the netherlands! Cool, nice to see some Dutch guys over here... welcome for all it's worth :)

Ruuterdetuuter

fxnut
09-24-2003, 12:52 PM
I remember seeing a tutorial years ago for doing rain drops hitting the ground. Basically it started off using an image sequence of a thin white ring on a black background growing like this -> . o O

Several copies of that were then used out of step in a larger looping image sequence to create 7 or 8 droplet impacts, all out of sync with each other. The resulting image sequence was then used as a bump map where ever droplets were supposed to fall. With the right surface settings (i.e. a bit of specularity and reflection) it looked totally awesome! Really convincing - even up close.

As far as doing actual rain drops goes, I'd probably just render off a load of particles in the foreground with particle blur set to 100% and take the sequence into After Effects to just have a bit of a play around. Don't bother rendering rain drops too far away, just use fog - I reckon it'll look more convincing.

ruud
09-24-2003, 02:08 PM
yeah I know that one. Used it before, great technique... but what I'm trying to accomplish here is, a ship sailing through VERY bad weather! So, imagine a lot of fog, dark sky's and rain... but how can you make that look 'amazingly real' :)
Simply fog won't work... it has something of dynamics in it.

Thanks for the option though...

Ruuter