PDA

View Full Version : RAid config?

cvp
02-28-2003, 06:51 AM
I don't know what I'm doing wrong btu this is the 3rd time trying to post a new thread without success--So, if you see 3 of the same question just ignore the other 2.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a little input on the RAID configurations you're all using and what is recommended. In configuring my new computer to accomodate the new Toaster I just got I need to set up a RAID array and I'm not sure what level.

From what I can gather so far, level 0 is optimal for speed but has no redundancy. Level 3 loses some speed but does provide some level of redundancy. And, level 5 has great redundancy but loses speed on writing--However is optimal for reading.

What do you all think?

What does Newtek recommend?

Thanks,
Joe

Red_Oddity
03-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Seach google for what the raid numbers mean and it'll help you a lot more.

but here's some info (not sure it's really correct)

I use RAID 0, which is striping.
RAID 1 is mirroring
RAID 3 is striping and mirroring
RAID 5 i have no idea.

mgrusin
03-05-2003, 11:08 AM
I believe Newtek recommends RAID 0 since it's the fastest and cheapest option, at the expense of redundancy. Some users have mentioned experimenting with other RAID options; search through the Toaster Hardware Forum here and on Newtek's old bulletin board at http://forums.newtek.com/discus/index.html

Good luck! -MG

cvp
03-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mgrusin
I believe Newtek recommends RAID 0 since it's the fastest and cheapest option, Good luck! -MG

Why is it the cheapest? Isn't the RAID level just a quetion during setup?

Thank you both for your replies. I did get hold of a Newtek tech and he told me the same thing--They recommend Raid0.

I think I'll go with that.

One more question though--Does a software RAID work as well as a hardware RAID? Is it worth the investment (about $200) to get the hardwre RAID card for the Super Micro board.

Thanks again,

Joe

mgrusin
03-05-2003, 12:35 PM
By "cheapest", I meant that amongst the RAID schemes, RAID 0 gets you the most storage out of your investment in drives.

RAID 0 splits the data among the drives, so that the speed is multiplied (basically, if you have two drives, it's twice as fast as one drive). But you still get the full capacity of both drives.

Other RAID schemes use some of the drive space for redundant information, so you wouldn't get the full capacity of all your drives (for example RAID 1 is mirroring, so if you have two drives, one drive is just a copy of the other drive, so you could only store one drive's worth of information, which makes it twice as expensive (and slower too)).

As far as hardware vs. software RAID, my impression is that people have been very happy with the software RAID built into Windows 2000. Since it's "free", you might want to try that first and only get the hardware if it doesn't work for you.

Good luck! -MG

Videolink
03-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Newtek recommends:
"Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160 Controller in a 64bit PCI slot.

Video Array
4 (or more) Ultra-160 10,000 RPM SCSI Drives, or Medea VideoRaid 5/320 RTR"

we agree
although now we have U320 available, the bigger the better....

the Medea RTRX are very nice for rack mount and upgradability
start with 5 drives and add 5 later

If you are using 4 drives : stripe with windows disk management
If you get a medea, the work is already done for you, just format.

:D

tmon
03-06-2003, 03:18 PM
RAID Level 0 is recommended by Newtek, but RAID Level 3 scenarios have been implemented.

I posted my experience at work here (it ain't $cheap):

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=529

What SHOULD be suggested is for the user to do their own due diligence and build some sort of backup scheme for your RAID Level 0 data, should you decide to go that route (e.g. for my yet-to-be built personal Toaster system, I'm leaning toward an IDE backup solution.)

Everything is great until that one single drive failure in RAID Level 0. At that point, all your RAID data is kaput. It takes time to isolate/identify the bad drive, then you have to replace it and redigitize everything. IMHO, it's all about how much time and good kharma with your clients ($$$) you are willing to lose.

robewil
03-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Does a software RAID work as well as a hardware RAID? Is it worth the investment (about $200) to get the hardwre RAID card for the Super Micro board.
It had been stated in previous posts that one issue with hardware RAIDs is that they can compete with the Toaster for PCI bandwidth which might cause capture or playback problems.