PDA

View Full Version : Lightworks - FINALLY here 29th nov

Rayek
11-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Heads up, guys and girls: I just received a notification that Lightworks open source edition is scheduled for download on the 29th - this month! :-)

Hmm, "effect layers with node-based layering tool" - tasty. Downer: no mac or linux yet (late 2011), and I will have to update my Vista to Win7.

Here's the newsletter for those who are interested:

-----------------
Hello again, from the Lightworks Development Team
It has been an exceptionally busy few months as we move toward the first public release of Lightworks Open Source.

Since the landmark Lightworks Open Source announcement (April 2010), we’ve had over 1700 developers and 20,000 editors sign up for the program. With many new features close to finalization, we have embarked on a comprehensive beta testing program, putting Lightworks through its paces and the feedback we have received so far has been excellent.
Lightworks for FREE ... just in time for the holidays!
It is with great pleasure that we take the first step in the roll out of Lightworks Open Source and deliver the free download to you! On November 29th, the free download will be available exclusively to those who have registered. An email will be sent to you with detailed download instructions.

Lightworks developers have been working day and night to develop a variety of enhancements for the new NLE.

Application Features

Capture and Playback

* Edit While Capture, Firewire, SD (analogue and digital), HD-SDI with optional I/O cards
* Full-screen, real-time SD, HD, and 2K preview playback on desktop display, Dual HD-SDI and DVI for Stereoscopic playback

Editing

* Resolution, format and codec independent editing
* Edit at 23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, or 60
* Advanced multicam editing with unlimited sources

Effects

* Real-time effects in SD, HD and 2K
* Field or frame based varispeeds*
* Keyframe graphs
* Effects layers with node-based layering tool
* Multiple real time primary and secondary color correctors

Tools

* Multitrack audio mixer with full bus routing and multiple mixes
* Customization templates for Avid and FCP shortcuts
* Voiceover tool for adding narration directly to edit
* Shot sync - sync two sources for playback comparison
* Customizable BITC timecode and film footage overlays

Film

* Support for 35mm 3-perf, 35mm 4-perf, and 16mm-20 and mixed film formats
* View feet and frames in edit
* View keycode and ink number
* 24-fps EDL import, export and conversion to and from 29.97 fps
* Import ALE, FLX, and CSV files
* Cut list, change list, optical list, pull list, dupe list

3rd-Party Support

* Inscriber Titlemotion, Boris FX, Combustion, After Effects, Premiere Plug-ins, Sapphire, Digital Fusion
* Support for any application that can exchange AVI, MXF and QuickTime files

Collaboration

* Advanced Shared Projects with real-time review*

I/O Support

* QuickTime, MXF, AVI, DPX, DV, DV50, DV100, H.264, Uncompressed, OMF, AAF
* Avid DNxHD*, Apple ProRes*, RED*, AVC-Intra*, AVCHD*, XDCAM HD*, XDCAM EX*
* Stereoscopic support for independent Left and Right files*
* Telecine 29.97i to 24p pull down removal
* 30fps and 25fps import to 24fps project

New Features

* New and intuitive user interface
* Basic wizard for user orientation
* Avid and FCP keyboard shortcut preferences
* Integrated help with indexed Lightworks User Guide
* New style ‘bins’
* On screen console controls
* Full screen video on single or secondary displays
* Advanced EditShare Project Sharing*
* Native support for Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD and AVC-Intra*
* Native support for RED R3D files and RED Rocket cards*
* 10bit and 16bit DPX support
* H.264 and AVCHD support for DSLR cameras
* Stereoscopic import and editorial support*
* Stereoscopic output through SDI and DVI (dual stream, side by side, anaglyph)**
* Native 2K resolution support
* Output through DVI in different resolutions up to 2K
* New project browser
* Windows 7 support (32bit and 64bit)

*Options available through the Lightworks Store
**SDI Output requires optional I/O hardware

Platform Support
We are still receiving questions regarding OS support for Lightworks. Currently, Lightworks runs on Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, and Windows XP 32-bit. We are looking to port it to Linux and OSX, but this won’t happen until late 2011.

Minimum Specifications
These are the minimum recommended specifications for running Lightworks optimally:

* A PC computer with Intel Core Duo, Intel Xeon, or AMD processor
* 2 GB of RAM (3GB recommended)
* A PCI Express graphics card with 256MB memory or higher
* A display with 1024 x 768 resolution or higher (1440 x 900 or higher recommended)
* Windows XP Professional SP2 or Windows 7 (32 bit or 64bit)
* QuickTime 7.6.6 or later
* 100 MB of disk space required to install Lightworks
* Dedicated media hard drive (7200rpm or higher)

akademus
11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Sounds cool, just provide the link please :)

Rayek
11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately, their website is undergoing maintenance at the moment:

http://www.editshare.com

archijam
11-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Waited. So. Long.

I just wanted basic nle capabilities in an open source format ...

I have fcp at work, but don't want it on my laptop ...

Sounds like it's here...

Cheers! :thumbsup:

zarti
11-10-2010, 01:59 AM
there still is Love somewhere in this world ...

god bless 'em !

dballesg
11-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi,

It's any official post from them where they say the do not support Vista 64?

If it works on XP 32 bits and Windows 7 32 bits and 64 bits, I can't see why I'ts not going to work on Windows Vista 64???

David

allabulle
11-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Any luck on getting news from them?

Is there anyone left out there that can commit to a public schedule without embarrassing themselves? It seems like a trend, isn't it? :--)

Edit: It seems the url is different now. Yet the comment above still holds, I think.

erikals
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM
looks powerful,
http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=155&Itemid=203

 

Philbert
11-12-2010, 08:15 AM
I just read about this. I wonder what the odds are of getting it built into CORE. :p

Article on it:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/11/11/professional-grade-lightworks-open-source-video-editor-to-be-rel/

Actually I think it would be more likely to see Speed Edit built into CORE than this.

jasonwestmas
11-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Just out of curiosity, is this considered to be up there with FCP and Avid Media Composer?

Philbert
11-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Honestly I had never heard of it until now. Their list of films looked pretty impressive at first glance, but I looked closer at it and noticed only maybe 3 of those films are recent, though that might not mean anything since it's obviously not a complete list.

http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=160&Itemid=205

Philbert
11-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I found this video demo of it. Looks like it would take me a while to get used to coming from Premiere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCDFfXUcGk

Liber777
11-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, is this considered to be up there with FCP and Avid Media Composer?

The report from many who use it is that they consider it superior to the Big 2; it has nailed the immediacy of editing from the very beginning in a way that MC and FCP never have.

I'm excited to be able to check it out for myself in two weeks.

Liber777
11-14-2010, 09:02 AM
2-page article on Creative COW:
http://library.creativecow.net/battistella_david/lightworks/1

Scott Hill: "Lightworks has been great. I have used Lightworks on every film I've edited up until this one. I'm currently editing a movie that required me to use an Avid. The silver lining is that I can speak intelligently when comparing the two systems. My assistant and I were asked by Avid to submit a wish-list of items that we were able to do on the Lightworks, but not on an Avid. That took days to type up. We both want to scream to Hollywood: There is a better way!"

Matt
11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I've been looking forward to this too. Looks really well designed, innovative UI there too, nice!

biliousfrog
11-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I found this video demo of it. Looks like it would take me a while to get used to coming from Premiere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCDFfXUcGk

Something which concerns me from that video is that many of their new features are correcting things which only an idiot would impliment in the first place, such as allowing you to use the left mouse button by default rather than only the right one and putting the timeline at the bottom of the interface rather than the top...there's a reason why all other NLE's work that way, trying to be different just for the sake of it is retarded.

It looks like a nice, easy to navigate system though and kudos to the developers for keeping it open source

erikals
11-15-2010, 07:58 AM
i was a bit surprised by that too, fixed now though... :]

Lightwolf
11-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Something which concerns me from that video is that many of their new features are correcting things which only an idiot would impliment in the first place, such as allowing you to use the left mouse button by default rather than only the right one and putting the timeline at the bottom of the interface rather than the top...there's a reason why all other NLE's work that way, trying to be different just for the sake of it is retarded.
Well, considering that it was initially released in the same year as the first Avid Media Composer it's certainly understandable.
If Avid hadn't won the initial bout, who knows, you might just consider a timeline at the bottom as being silly ;)

I'd still like to see picons on the tracks though...

Cheers,
Mike

Liber777
11-18-2010, 04:50 PM
I created a LinkedIn group for those who are interested:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3684317

monovich
11-18-2010, 05:59 PM
looks cool. I'd never heard of it until now.

geo_n
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Been waiting for this for some time. Now all we need is opensource compositor, motion.
Is this as easy to use as premiere pro or fcp?

Liber777
11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
From the commentary I've read from editors who use it and from the video it looks intuitive and easy. We'll find out soon enough!

Dexter2999
11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Been waiting for this for some time. Now all we need is opensource compositor, motion.
Is this as easy to use as premiere pro or fcp?

Blender has a compositor.

There was another one but I think it died called Jashaka.

Shiny_Mike
11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Ramen is an open source compositor.
http://ramenhdr.sourceforge.net/
Looks like it's still fairly early in development though.

geo_n
11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah I tried ramen but not blender yet.
Ramen still a bit raw and hard to understand.
But I hope there would be something like AE since it can do both comp and motion adequetely.

allabulle
11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Looks like it's still fairly early in development though.

On the contrary, if I'm not mistaken it looks like it's at the end of its development.

Rayek
11-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah I tried ramen but not blender yet.
Ramen still a bit raw and hard to understand.
But I hope there would be something like AE since it can do both comp and motion adequetely.

Blender's built-in node compositor is quite nice, but it certainly is no AFx - it more like a poor-man's Nuke or Fusion, though in combination with the 3d environment/renderer it is quite powerful, and a lot of effects can be achieved. But again, it is primarily a compositor, and NOT meant for easy to achieve motion graphics. Neither is Nuke or Fusion.

Unfortunately, I feel there is only one tool for that at the moment, which is After Effects. A comparable (perhaps initially much simpler) open source alternative would be very welcome, though.

Wax could be useful for certain effects: http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

ps Winmorph and wink are also nice additions to any tool set. (Same developer as Wax)

Shiny_Mike
11-20-2010, 12:53 PM
On the contrary, if I'm not mistaken it looks like it's at the end of its development.

Thanks, you're right, I wasn't aware of it being stopped. Nice of the guy to donate his time to get it where it is though, hopefully others can continue it's development.

zarti
11-28-2010, 02:05 AM
this thread should emerge and float ready for the LW-Day ; which is tomorrow .

edit:

=) LW stands for LightWorks . any coincidence with LightWave is purely accidental .

Philbert
11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
edit:

=) LW stands for LightWorks . any coincidence with LightWave is purely accidental .

Whew! You scared me for a second.

zarti
11-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Whew! You scared me for a second.

you should thank NT for having a forum which allows editing of posts .

that's a great feature which affects considerably the Safety of forum members .

archijam
11-29-2010, 01:40 AM
So .... it's the 29th.

Where's my LW ? :D

-EsHrA-
11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
any news on this?

i havent received a notice yet..

mlon

Philbert
11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
No email here either.

Dexter2999
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
One could comment about a similarity not only in initials for the software but also in hitting target release dates...but that would be too easy.

zarti
11-29-2010, 01:37 PM
apparently these days LW-s arent as good as WL-s at uploading ( WL = WikiLeaks ) :jam:

calilifestyle
11-29-2010, 01:52 PM
So when will this be released. it's been sometime.

Matt
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Still nothing :(

archijam
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Still nothing :(

it's a tease .. no ? Torture :)

An even 1/4 functionality open source NLE has been missing for so long . anyone else install jashaka etc etc :/ ?

calilifestyle
11-29-2010, 03:11 PM
long time ago i installed Jashaka. i remember when they where at sigg. it was very horrible and crashed 90% if not 99% of the time on start up

Matt
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I signed up ages ago, but have never had an email from them.

I hope when they release this it's not just to those who signed up, because I wonder if mine went through.

geo_n
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
One could comment about a similarity not only in initials for the software but also in hitting target release dates...but that would be too easy.

Lol. Too funny. Could be
release date
Later, Wait!
another few months.
Later, Wait!
another year
Later, Wait!

I hope this doesn't happen with Lightworks

virtualcomposer
11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm still waiting for my notice as well. Been waiting a long time for this!! :)

Liber777
11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I signed up ages ago, but have never had an email from them..

I got an email when I signed up. Perhaps try filling out the form again?

virtualcomposer
11-30-2010, 01:55 AM
I got an email when I signed up. Perhaps try filling out the form again?

problem is, they confirmed I did that already and I got the newsletter from them stating that they will be sending a link soon for the newest version.

K-Dawg
11-30-2010, 01:59 AM
long time ago i installed Jashaka. i remember when they where at sigg. it was very horrible and crashed 90% if not 99% of the time on start up

I tried jashaka once on my Linux. Too bad the Ubuntu packages never run on Ubuntu oO.

I tried it on Windows, same ol.

Jahshaka has been renamed to cinefx though. Except of the rename, there has been no real updates yet.

I hope when they release this it's not just to those who signed up, because I wonder if mine went through.

If it really should go opensource, then they have to release it to all. At least in form of the SourceCode. It seams like they did none of both.

OT:
Did you receive my PN?

BTW. there is another OSS NLE called Cinelerra(-CV) that is really nice, but for Linux only. still, it exists and still is being developed on.

http://cinelerra.org/about.php

Greetz

virtualcomposer
11-30-2010, 02:02 AM
I just wish it was on the open source website so I could at least try it out and get an update without the full wait.

dballesg
11-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi,

Found this on Blender Artists (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=203568):

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

You need to register to download.

David

DBMiller
11-30-2010, 07:36 AM
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=viewcategory&catid=3&Itemid=214

There is this link on the CG Channel Site.

Edit:
When I download the .exe I get a Norton Utilities warning and Norton deletes the .exe!
Here is the text of the message.

c:\documents and settings\dbmiller\my documents\downloads\lightworks_10.0_public_beta.ex e
11/30/2010 at 9:43:29 AM
Last Used:
11/30/2010 at 9:45:05 AM
Startup Item: No
Launched: No
Threat Details
There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

Downloaded from http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=214&view=finish&cid=2&catid=3&m=0

Downloaded File:
lightworks_10.0_public_beta.exe

DBMiller
11-30-2010, 08:33 AM
On the plus side is this from Lightworks site:

* Support for Linux and OSX is scheduled for late 2011

Liber777
11-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Looks like a heuristic false alarm from Norton. Can you flag the file as safe or suspend Norton during the download?

virtualcomposer
11-30-2010, 09:32 AM
I just got my notification today and ability to download Lightworks now. I wonder if it's on a time delay or there are so many people to send the email to it takes a bit.

zarti
11-30-2010, 09:33 AM
their installing pre-procedure ( from pdf ) says :

" TASK
1. Turn off any virus-protection software and security software.

... "

should be ok , ... should =)

edit::
my download stopped ( followed by a mismatch error ) and now seems site is down ...

confirm anyone else ? ...

Dexter2999
11-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I can't register/download. Page just freezes.

I think I saw there were 25,000 people (more) signed up maybe they weren't prepared for the rush of traffic.

zarti
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I can't register/download. Page just freezes.

I think I saw there were 25,000 people (more) signed up maybe they weren't prepared for the rush of traffic.

keep trying ; registering is a short process while ( fortunately ) the file is small 15.6 MB .

i completed it after 7th or 8th retry .

now going to test it at home. goodLuck ! =)

calilifestyle
11-30-2010, 10:19 AM
yeah seems like they have finally released it.

Matt
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=viewcategory&catid=3&Itemid=214

There is this link on the CG Channel Site.

Edit:
When I download the .exe I get a Norton Utilities warning and Norton deletes the .exe!
Here is the text of the message.

c:\documents and settings\dbmiller\my documents\downloads\lightworks_10.0_public_beta.ex e
11/30/2010 at 9:43:29 AM
Last Used:
11/30/2010 at 9:45:05 AM
Startup Item: No
Launched: No
Threat Details
There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

Downloaded from http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=214&view=finish&cid=2&catid=3&m=0

Downloaded File:
lightworks_10.0_public_beta.exe

False positive. Norton ain't great.

Philbert
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Great, I'm all registered, now just waiting for the confirmation email.

Skonk
11-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Installed it, but it just exits when I launch it....

Philbert
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah the same thing happened to me just as you posted that.

Liber777
11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
False positive. Norton ain't great.

You show great restraint. I held back my opinion of Norton.

Liber777
11-30-2010, 12:28 PM

EditShare report that a few x64 people are having that problem. It's working for me on Server 2008 R2 x64. I'll try it on Win7 x64 tonight.

Liber777
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Workaround: find the ntcardvt.exe file in the program folder and double-click on it to launch Lightworks.

Liber777
11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Post from the EditShare admins:

"It appears that the webserver hit a limit. If you've registered but have yet to receive an activation email, please try logging a little later.. we're working through the list.

Apologies for the inconvenience."

Matt
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I still haven't received a confirmation email yet :(

-EsHrA-
11-30-2010, 01:03 PM

you re-registered at the lightworks beta site?..

i did not get any notice aswell and was signed up months ago.

just register at the betasite and you will be able to login and download.

mlon

Philbert
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM

It took a long time for me too, but I read where it said it would resend it if you just attempt to log in to the site. So I entered my name a password and instantly a confirmation email arrived.

zarti
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
starts and looks great here ... i just need to read manuals and its forum . promising ...

.cheers

DBMiller
11-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the Norton tip! Also, I didn't get an email either. I just re-registered at the site.
Also, on the LW (the OTHER one) forum someone has posted that after creating your first project the launch issue, having to use the .exe directly, goes away and you can use the regular short cut.

Philbert
11-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that info about the first project.

Matt
11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
It took a long time for me too, but I read where it said it would resend it if you just attempt to log in to the site. So I entered my name a password and instantly a confirmation email arrived.

Ahhh lemme try that! Thx.

K-Dawg
11-30-2010, 03:43 PM
...to receive an activation email...

Do I understand that right? you have to activate LightWorks?

Liber777
11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Do I understand that right? you have to activate LightWorks?

No, you have to register your forum account on their site before you can download the installer.

Matt
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Okay, finally got the thing down.

Run, boom, closes.

Not a good start after all this time waiting!

Matt
11-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Workaround: find the ntcardvt.exe file in the program folder and double-click on it to launch Lightworks.

That worked, thanks.

One thing I don't like so far, is that it places MATERIAL and SOUND folders on the top level of every hard drive you have in your system.

Skonk
11-30-2010, 04:05 PM
That worked, thanks.

One thing I don't like so far, is that it places MATERIAL and SOUND folders on the top level of every hard drive you have in your system.

Really can't understand why any software developer would think that was acceptable.

@Liber777: I'll try the workaround; thanks.

Matt
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Uninstalled it, not sure I like it.

jasonwestmas
11-30-2010, 04:20 PM
That worked, thanks.

That's strange. Most applications ask you where you want to put asset folder sets or wait till you hit a browser button.

Liber777
11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Really can't understand why any software developer would think that was acceptable.

@Liber777: I'll try the workaround; thanks.

One of the odd holdovers from this thing's history as a turnkey solution I think.

Philbert
11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't see them on my C: drive but I do on the others. That's not cool, I wonder if you can just delete them.

Maybe I'm just clueless or something... I don't see a time line or output monitor.

calilifestyle
11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
i have it running but i cant close it. i mean i guess i could do a force close but then how do i save

Philbert
11-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah the first time I tried to close it it wouldn't work either and I had to force it. But the second time it closed fine.

virtualcomposer
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
isn't there a mac version of the download? I'm getting an .exe file.

allabulle
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the tip, it worked [running Win XP x64]!

Philbert
11-30-2010, 10:23 PM
isn't there a mac version of the download? I'm getting an .exe file.

I believe mac and linux versions are due to come out later in 2011.

virtualcomposer
11-30-2010, 10:25 PM
well that sucks. I thought for sure I was going to be able to mess around with it tonight. Oh well.

Dexter2999
11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Apparently it saves when you "X" out of the program. No mention of closing in the PDF that I found.

Philbert
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Yeah sorry to say I just found in this article they say in bold "We are looking to port it to Linux and OSX, but this won’t happen until late 2011."

http://blog.openite.com/post/1529722281/lightworks-will-be-available-to-download-at-november-29

Rayek
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
It seems to run fine on my system so far (only one crash after a couple of hours of playing) - and after that crash, start it up again, open the project, and it's exactly how you left it. Convenient. After adding the first project the regular shortcut works fine - I guess they never tried booting Lightworks without any existing project, and when it does not find one, it exits. I am still trying to get my head wrapped around the conceptual approach of editing in Lightworks - very different from other NLEs I have used before. But it looks very flexible, and I am getting the hang of it.

The more I dig, the more I find. The effects look nice, as does the node editor and keyframing/curves. It's rather impressive for a 15mb download. After the beta things can only improve. I should try the boris/afterfx/premiere plugin support.

Some people are complaining about Lightworks on the Editshare forum, but they seem to have expected a simple editor that runs on their itty bitty laptops - it's definitely NOT a simple NLE, but geared towards very complex and large productions. The manual is lacking, and some basic start-up tutorials are really needed - though I have a feeling the community will provide these before long.

On my dual screen setup Lightworks seems to want to use the second screen as a full screen preview monitor (second video card), but for some reason I have not quite been able to control that behaviour yet. When it works, it's very impressive, though.

i have it running but i cant close it. i mean i guess i could do a force close but then how do i save

Every step is saved automatically. Even the state of the desktop, the rooms, etcetera. There is NO save option, because it does not need that. The fingerprint icon opens the preferences, and you can show the title bar, and close it. Another way is the shortcut key, which I have not found yet ;-)

digital verve
12-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Downloaded it and run it and Boom! Won't even run using the work around by launching directly from the program directory. I was so looking forward to trying it out. You expect bugs in a Beta release, but at least expect it to start. I was hoping for a good alterntive video editor to Avid or Adobe CS5.

allabulle
12-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Uninstalled it, not sure I like it.

same here. Maybe as development goes along... but a few things didn't quite work and the whole openness seems quite unclear (to me.)

We'll see.

Netvudu
12-01-2010, 04:51 AM
it´s more of an alpha than a beta, IMHO.

archijam
12-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Certain AVIs and mp4s do not load. Let's see what happens.

Don't like the screen real estate policy (ie .. all of it ..)

allabulle
12-01-2010, 04:56 AM
it´s more of an alpha than a beta, IMHO.

That was one of my thoughts, even if it's been in development for quite a few years. Who knows?

Also the need to write on your discs without asking, your need to "unsecure" your system without explaining clearly why... mmmh... maybe some time later as it evolves, but not now for me.

Rayek
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Downloaded it and run it and Boom! Won't even run using the work around by launching directly from the program directory. I was so looking forward to trying it out. You expect bugs in a Beta release, but at least expect it to start. I was hoping for a good alterntive video editor to Avid or Adobe CS5.

What's your hardware? It runs fine on my system: i7 [email protected], 12gb, 480gtx, 280gtx, asus pt6 mainboard, two screens (each connected to one video card), vista ultimate 64bit.

Don't like the screen real estate policy (ie .. all of it ..)

Not on my system - it seems to recognize the 480 connected to my main screen as the work screen, and the second screen, which is connected to the 280gtx as a preview monitor (which sometimes works, sometimes not - still have to figure out exactly how that is activated). Dragging the window across two screens works, but I cannot use the mouse to control things on the second screen. I figured I can add a third screen to my main vid card for dual screen support. Or just connect the second screen to the second output of the 480gtx - which is probably what you did.

*edit* Wait, you probably meant that it takes over the entire screen - which can be turned off by going into the preferences, and activating the regular window bar (fingerprint icon on the bottom of the toolbar left).

Rayek
12-01-2010, 09:09 AM
same here. Maybe as development goes along... but a few things didn't quite work and the whole openness seems quite unclear (to me.)

We'll see.

I LOVE the openness - I always feel limited by the oppressive one-source monitor, one sequence monitor in Premiere. Now I can compare as many clips/time-lines as I want, organize stuff in multiple rooms...

allabulle
12-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I LOVE the openness - I always feel limited by the oppressive one-source monitor, one sequence monitor in Premiere. Now I can compare as many clips/time-lines as I want, organize stuff in multiple rooms...

I think I didn't explain myself correctly (have I ever?) I was trying to express my puzzlement about this open source app with no apparent bug reporting/tracking system available to beta testers, no apparent source code available, and a few other aspects that I probably should not bring up for the sake of avoiding boredom on my fellow forum colleagues. So I felt the openness was about letting people use it more or less as is.

Of course I find your point appropriate and I agree on that as well. :--)

Rayek
12-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I think I didn't explain myself correctly (have I ever?) I was trying to express my puzzlement about this open source app with no apparent bug reporting/tracking system available to beta testers, no apparent source code available, and a few other aspects that I probably should not bring up for the sake of avoiding boredom on my fellow forum colleagues. So I felt the openness was about letting people use it more or less as is.

Of course I find your point appropriate and I agree on that as well. :--)

Ah, could not agree more with you - it IS very confusing how Editshare is handling that aspect. Bug tracking is handled through their forum, which seems a strange choice, being limited and unwieldy. Not is it open sourced yet - but I believe I read somewhere they will release the source code. On the other hand the license is a bit contradictory.

Confusing, and not helping them atm.

hunter
12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm running dual monitors of different resolutions and there is no exit button. How do you exit?

Rayek
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm running dual monitors of different resolutions and there is no exit button. How do you exit?

It might be hidden from view (should be located at the right bottom) due to the differing resolutions - open the preferences (fingerprint icon) and turn on the regular windows title bar.

Zane Condren
12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Has anyone figured out this UI? It takes a lot of steps to get a couple clips in a timeline to me.

Philbert
12-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I haven't found the timeline yet, or the output monitor.

Lightwolf
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
O.k., so I finally had time for a short stint. Except for the instability in some parts I suspect I'm going to really like it.
It's quite slick, very interesting and I suspect once I'm beyond the steep learning curve (i.e. reading the manual, working a project, learning the major shortcuts) it'll be really nice and speedy to edit in.

It's certainly obvious that it comes from the professional side of editing, don't expect simple drag and drop operations.
It's different, but different for a reason.

I just wish I had more time for it, it's fun...

Cheers,
Mike

Jim_C
12-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I certainly see why they no longer sell this

Lightwolf
12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I certainly see why they no longer sell this
Yup, no cheesy 3D wipes ;)

Cheers,
Mike

geo_n
12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Says
Registration is now closed...

So no way to download and test it?

Philbert
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Seems to work OK here:

geo_n
12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Needed to register. Thanks!
Downloading. :D
15mb. Lol

geo_n
12-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Very cool so far.
Different from fcp or premiere pro but looks good.

hunter
12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
It might be hidden from view (should be located at the right bottom) due to the differing resolutions - open the preferences (fingerprint icon) and turn on the regular windows title bar.

Thanks a lot. That worked. Now if I can get it to load a psd sequence... :)

Jim_C
12-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Yup, no cheesy 3D wipes ;)

Cheers,
Mike

ouch

hehehehe

K-Dawg
12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
No, you have to register your forum account on their site before you can download the installer.

Thx for info. I was starting to think this is no Opensource Software.

I registered and read in the forums some and came to the conclusion, this seems not to be OpenSource Software, just an OpenBeta and a fairly reduced on features version of Software.

I'll keep an eye on this, but will not install till I'm sure if it is real OSS and not just some Comercial Software being cloaked as OpenSource.

The License doesn't clearly state if it is OSS, the fact that you HAVE to register with the vendor to DL the Software is also not OSS sense. Beta or not, OSS is always open to the Public no matter if Alpha, Beta, Stabile or Features. Even the SourceCode is not avaiable to the public. Not that I could read it (maybe), but that shows that Editshare might be just using the word OSS as marketing gag.

It is true that OSS != Freeware, but the way this is being distrubuted has IMO nothing to do with OSS common sense.

Greetz

Lightwolf
12-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Thx for info. I was starting to think this is no Opensource Software.
Hm, it clearly states their roadmap on the very first page:

Some time in the middle of 2011, we hope to reach our next milestone -- releasing the source code to any developer who wants to build upon what we started. We wish we were ready to do that now. However, before we can release any source, we have several hundred thousand lines of code to review to make sure it's all cleared for opening up. We are making progress but we are not there yet.

Cheers,
Mike

Titus
12-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Thx for info. I was starting to think this is no Opensource Software.Greetz

It's not open source, yet. The current binary is a "public beta" with no source code, but the promise is there.

Considering the past expriences with other projects like Blender, StarOffice, etc., there's a normal transition from being closed to fully open.

Dexter2999
12-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks a lot. That worked. Now if I can get it to load a psd sequence... :)

Haven't tried PSD. It did load a jpg sequence. Auto detect sequence as clip is the default by the way. I had to find that and turn it off because my sequence of stills was for a storyboard.

I didn't see where to set the duration for an imported still. It appears to be one frame and no obvious way to change it.

The software looks nice.
It isn't user friendly at all.
The Avid keyboard shortcuts...aren't. What's the point in setting the keyboard shortcuts to something else if the insert, overwrite, lift commands don't work?

Very frustrating. Will have to take time when I have more patience to work with it.

K-Dawg
12-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Hm, it clearly states their roadmap on the very first page:

Cheers,
Mike

Ah didn't read that part, my bad. Signed up straight on the forums and didn't go to the startpage. Thx for pointing that out.

@Titus.
OK understand. Thats why I'll keep an eye on it and not give up on it right away. I'm especially looking forward to the Linux version.

Greetz

Rayek
04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
The new version is out - so far it runs mostly stable on my system (only one crash so far, trying to subclip a subclip, or something, which is not allowed), and editing is very nice in Lightworks, once you get used to some of the workflow differences compared to Premiere and Final Cut Pro.

Ditch
07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Can I install Lightworks on my TCX300 Tricaster?

I was an early user of Lightworks back in the 90s. (It ran on DOS then!)

It is a fabulous machine.

To me, the interface feels like it was designed by an editor, while the interfaces of Avid and FCP, have somehow just grown out of the software engineering community.

Has anyone installed Lightworks on a Tricaster?

Quiet1onTheSet
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Lightworks News!
Have you heard that the open source NLE known as Lightworks has an upgrade that's being made available -- for a modest fee? The $30 (educational) and $60 (professional) annual premiums -- and a $55 one-time fee for Avid DNxHD) are being implemented so as to enable Editshare to absorb the licensing fees associated with the inclusion of new codecs (R3D, ProRes, DPX, AVC-Intra, XDCAM, et al).

Albeit, paid members get other perks as well, which include Stereoscopic 3D capability, a real-time titling tool (with GPU-based rendering acceleration) and more. I'm on the edge of my seat for an OS X release which should be forthcoming within several months, now.

Lightworks Keyboard
As well, a new $140 USD keyboard has been added to the mix; all this and more will soon be available via their web store, which is slated to be launched shortly.

Check out the details here:

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/headlines/Lightworks-Open-Source-Editing-Evolves-for-a-Fee_13425.html

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Can I install Lightworks on my TCX300 Tricaster?

I don't have any affirmative answer for that. Contrariwise, I would suggest you didn't try it, unless specifically given permission to do so by NewTek, as their documentation warns against adding alien programs and utilities to TriCaster, generally (barring the use of anti-virus/malware protection and the like).

Remember, these systems are finely tuned to leverage the most out of the system's resources; and with unauthorized add-ons, you're pretty well likely to risk negatively impacting your system's ability to faithfully carry out its mission-critical operations with aplomb.

Q1