PDA

View Full Version : Text tool Poll

cresshead
11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
what is your preferred method/tool for creating text in Lightwave?

also how do you manage properties of text object for later recall...for example if your creating text based objects that you may need to amend later..or MUCH later [months years away] do you save notes on fonts and setting used with the lwo file so you can match them up at a later date.

gschrick
11-09-2010, 06:20 AM
I do tons of text work in LW and I always create my text in illustrator and then import the vector into LW (convert to outlines and save as llustrator 8). I can save the illustrator file for editing later, but the LW objects would have to be rebuilt. I've never been happy with creating text directly in modeler.

If I know I'm doing a lot of text with the same attributes, such as bevel. I will use the Bevel++ plugin. It has a feature to save preset bevels. It also has a non-overlapping feature which is very helpful since beveling complex fonts in LW always results in a lot of clean-up.

This is also the way I create 3D logos from vector art.

Simon-S
11-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I tend to set up my text in Photoshop first so I can control kerning/spacing and so on.

Once I'm happy with the text I export paths as a .ai file and import that into LW using the EPSF Loader. Then I can start to extrude and bevel etc.

I always use the same method so as long as I save a psd of my original text I know I can go back and edit the text. (That does mean I have to remodel any changes in LW though...maybe I should start keeping notes on my modelling process).

This method is also great for modeling stuff from a background image...trace the image first in Pshop, export the vector and thats a great starting point to start modeling from.

cresshead
11-09-2010, 06:31 AM
for those looking for bevel++

it's $42 per lw dongle.

http://www.softgeometry.jp/lightwave/lightwave3d/bevelpp/

cresshead
11-09-2010, 06:33 AM
making/editnig 3d text in lw has always been somewhat cumbersome, so it does make sense to use illustrator/corel draw/photoshop and import the AI

i usually use another 3d app and export a 3d text model from that app to lw so i can keep an editable 3d model to re type in new text with the same bevel/extrusion and just fire off an export of an obj for lw to use.

BlueApple
11-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Illustrator -> EPSF Loader followed with some cleanup (booleans and merging) in Modeler. The native type tools in Modeler are fine for rough mockups, but I would need something a bit more robust to replace the Illustrator->Modeler workflow.

3DGFXStudios
11-09-2010, 07:56 AM
I make my text in Eyeon Fusion. It has nice rounding and bevel options that work realtime. Than I export it as a FBX. :)

blindsided
11-09-2010, 08:33 AM
I usually make mine in AI and the import to modeler, boolean the holes.
One problem i often have is the boolean letter flipping after the boolean, if i flip it back it refuses to extrude properly, still thinks its flips, so i get the inside out extrude?

gschrick
11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
If your font is pretty standard and not too complex, selecting "Auto Axisdrill" in the EPSF loader will cut the holes out for you. I rarely have to boolean out the holes.

wesleycorgi
11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
AI eps import that is extruded and our beveled. The text tool in LW is lacking (always does funny things).

3DGFXStudios
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
If you make text in fusion it's already 3D and you don't have to do booleans etc. And the bevels work great (most of the time) You won't have the crossing polygons in the corners :D

nickdigital
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Is the process really as "simple" as importing an AI/EPSF file into Modeler?

I always find that the curves that Modeler generates are much noisier than I would expect considering it's a vector file import. I often find myself having to redraw a lot of shapes with the Bezier curve tool in Modeler.

gschrick
11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
You can change the "curve devision level" in the import dialog. I usually use "fine". But it can be set to "Super Fine" as well. As long as you're not right on top of the type object, I've found them to be quite smooth.

I've imported lots of type and vector logos. The modeler's EPSF loader is pretty accurate.

nickdigital
11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I guess you're right...as long as you're not zoomed in all the way the curves look fine.

nemac4
11-11-2010, 02:04 PM
eps/ai to XSI/softimage text tool then save to lwo via pointoven

Nangleator
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Anybody else turn text into subpatched models? Lots and lots of detail work there. Not worth it for larger words (or sentences!) Looks awesome when you're done, though.

nemac4
11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Anybody else turn text into subpatched models? Lots and lots of detail work there. Not worth it for larger words (or sentences!) Looks awesome when you're done, though.

It can be easy with the right tools. This took just a few seconds.

Nangleator
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
You honor me, sir!

BlueApple
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM
It can be easy with the right tools. This took just a few seconds.

What "right tools" are you using there? I can't tell from the interface in the screen shot.

nemac4
11-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry...previous post.. Softimage. Mod tool will work as well.

Rayek
11-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Perhaps strange seeing that the curve tools are a bit limited, I do like to use Blender's text tool in combination with a second curve that controls the bevel object (taper control is an additional option). Kerning is supported (<alt><left>/<right>, linked text boxes, paragraph formatting, spacing controls, text on a curve, resolution control for both the bevel and font... And text can be edited first in the built-in text editor.

All non-destructive, so text can be altered on the fly. Setting up the bevel control object can be a bit of a pain at times, though - but it provides all the control you need. I also like the fact I can just load up any font file, as opposed to having to install any fonts first.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5548/fontexample.th.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5548/fontexample.jpg)