PDA

View Full Version : A couple of very annoying things, in modeler !

sampei
11-08-2010, 09:22 AM
a couple of very annoying things seem to happen to me once in a while in modeler.

The first is that the zoom function seems to lock at a certain distance from my geometry, and there is absolutely no way to magnify any further, this is after I've centered the view on my selection. In the perspective viewport I usually select something else, center on it so I can get closer to my real target, but in the rest of the vp theres nothing to do but glue my eyes to the screen. Even when shutting down the program and reloading the lwo the issue persists. Ive attached a screengrab of the distance it locks at.

The second thing is even more nerveracking: say I'm workin on a model, incrementally saving every minute or so. Nothing strange and no crashes and layout is up and running, and so is the hub. I open a folder (with modeler still open) and maybe open up some pictures with irfan-view. Back to modeler, in the perspective vp I see open GL refreshing and the model is reverted to a state that is probably ten minutes old. Plus I can't undo ! I get this scenario sometimes when I send an object to layout, and back in modeler I can't undo, like the RAM's been flushed. However the model is not reverted to an older save. Is it the hub? The first time it happened I actually thought I was just tired from working non stop and had imagined it...but its definetly happened more than once. anyone ?

Kuzey
11-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Have you tried selecting two points from the disc and then try "Fit Selected"...that would usually get you closer in. But that would even fail at a certain point as well...it also helps, if the object is in the world center and not located miles away from the origin.

As for the second part, it's probably the Hub....it can do some funky stuff.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

Danner
11-08-2010, 03:28 PM
The zoom thing happens to me when working on large objects (I do a lot of hotel ArchViz) Never quite sure if it has to do with the size of the object or the distance from the center.

I seem to have had the object revert issue once, thankfully it doesn't happen too often. I have had some hub issues from bouncing back and forth from 64 to 32 bit versions, but they self corrected.

zardoz
11-08-2010, 04:54 PM
the zoom has to do with how far from the origin is your object.
if you make a 1x1x1mm box and you place it at 0,0,0 you can zoom to 0,1um
if you place that box at 100mm,0,0 you can zoom to 10um
at 1m,0,0 you can zoom to 100um; at 100m,0,0 you can only zoom to 10mm. It has to do with precision and it's common in 3d applications and even games.

sampei
11-13-2010, 09:46 AM
many thanks Kuzey, Danner and zardoz. The zoom issue is definetely clear to me now and I should be able to deal with it, and the revert thing is very rare to be honest, but when it happens it sure stings!...thanks again! :D