PDA

View Full Version : Updated 9.6 documentation?

kalero
11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I've noticed that the help file included with my recent LW 9.6 purchase seems to be for version 9.2 (though it's labeled as 9.6). Many tools - split bone, for one example - detail the old functionality, which isn't really helping.

Is there somewhere that I can get a copy of recent documentation? I've found ftp://ftp.newtek.com/LightWave_v96_WhatsNew_Guide.zip, but it doesn't have any information on some of the changed tools. Additionally, many of the vidoes here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002&highlight=split+bone+tool also seem to be for 9.2 (including split bone) I've been tracking this information down slowly on the forums & googling, but this is really slowing me down.

Has NewTek put together any information on these changes? (or is there any single source I can refer to when the in-program help deviates from my version?)

kalero
11-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Wow, that's frustrating. If someone's trying to learn LW on v 9.6, it's just accepted that you get to hunt around for the buttons? I've never used a professional application where you couldn't even find the current toolset *mentioned* in its own documentation.

Has anyone else published a book that can serve as a basic help file for LW 9.6?

rwhunt99
11-20-2010, 04:50 PM
It is true that Newtek hasn't done a very good job on updating their documentation. The good news is that probably 90% or better of the application has not changed that much as far as using tools go.
They do have a bunch of tutorials on their website on what is new in Lightwave ( in the recent past), for instance - cameras, nodal texturing, the Fiber fx tools, and new lights, the newer bone tools etc.

There is always the forums who can help also with particular questions.

Because 9.6.1 is still officially in beta, they don't have any finalized documentation for it just yet, I still don't know if 9.6.1 is really LW 10 or not.
There have been some videos that were released showing the new VPR. and other features also, but I don't think they have anything to do with 9.6.1
Sorry if that doesn't help you out very well :)

Roadwarrior
11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
There is always the forums who can help also with particular questions.
:agree:

Seems the only way to go...
Screamernet Documentation updates needed also
for LW9.6

kalero
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I'll give it a shot. My fear is that my questions on LW are far too basic (I guess nobody will say RTFM? hah!), but maybe the forums here won't have the newbie hate. ;)

4dartist
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I'll give it a shot. My fear is that my questions on LW are far too basic (I guess nobody will say RTFM? hah!), but maybe the forums here won't have the newbie hate. ;)

Just ask, people on this forum generally love to help. The easier the question the more help you'll probably end up getting. :) I don't normally see too many forum snobs.

(As long as you don't get angry at the people helping you for not writing a custom tutorial just for you.. :D I saw that one recently lol.)

kalero
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks again for the nudge to just ask questions here - I've been getting some great pointers. Sometimes it's best to just post a question and go do some pushups or something. =)

Opticon
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I am still using LW 9.6 and am having the same issue. Did they ever make a 9.6 documentation/help.htm downloadable installer and a LW 9.6 content installer?