PDA

View Full Version : a simple skin question. and a fast skin one.

sampei
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM
hi, I've been testing simple skin and fast skin quite a bit in order to them out. The thing I don't quite understand is the following: say I have a head model, lit uniquely by a small area light from behind. Now if I set the subdermis distance correctly I expect to see the ears (or at least the thinnest parts of them) glowing as the light hits them and is scattered for the depth I have set. The problem is I have other areas with similar depth ranges like the nostrils and the eyelids that are glowing too...which doesn't make much sense to me since the light should be occluded by the back of the head and these parts are on the face. Could anyone explain this to me? I've already searched in the old threads (including infinite's) with no luck...
I also noticed that fast skin does a pre-process before rendering, what exactly is it doing? cheers

silviotoledo
11-06-2010, 05:42 PM
yeah I got the same problem, so it uses the Back side of the polygon, I guess, not the back side of the model. Sad :(. You must mask with weightmap the areas you wanna protect.

Preprocessing is probably to reduce radiosity times.

sampei
11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
actually shortly after posting I realized I had forgot to turn on raytrace shadows and had the shadows deactivated in the lights panel too, turning these settings on seems to solve most of the problems I was having :)