PDA

View Full Version : selecting polys -help

sgreco1970
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
i can see how i can select individual polys, groups by touching them, and i see i can use mouse2 to draw an edit loop around groups. But what I need is to use an edit box to cpture all the poly's within the box. how do I do that?

nickdigital
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
You can right-click and lasso select around a group of polys.

sgreco1970
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
You can right-click and lasso select around a group of polys.

I know, I said that. I need to use an edit box not an edit lasso. Lassoing so many polygons is pretty slow and tedious. Is there no edit box to just easily capture the top half of an object?

Dexter2999
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
No, there is no edit box, or "marquee select"
You can select a poly by clicking on it.
You can grow a selection by one with the "}"
You can select connected.
You can select by loop.
You can select by texture.
You can select by number of points.

And even with all these ways, you will find sometimes there isn't an easy way to select just the polys you want. You learn to work around things.
A big step for me when I started doing more complex objects was learning to hide unwanted geometry with the "-", "+", and "\" keys.

Keep poking around and try to find a workflow that is good for you.

nickdigital
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I know, I said that. I need to use an edit box not an edit lasso. Lassoing so many polygons is pretty slow and tedious. Is there no edit box to just easily capture the top half of an object?

Ah my bad. You could use the volume selection mode. Unfortunately I don't think it'll highlight your selection.

What Dexter suggests is good...I find myself just selecting a general area and then using the various tools to refine what I want.

JeffrySG
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I usually just select a poly or two from each individual part of an object and then hit the 'select connected' key "]".