PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Hypervoxels possible?

Gillissie
11-05-2010, 12:49 AM
I can't seem to get hypervoxels to have a smooth looking surface when grouped up next to a bunch of other hypervoxels.

In my particular case right now, I have a scene set up with a rock and a particle emitter above it that drops particles onto the rock and stick to it. The goal is to have a snow covered rock. However, no matter what I do, the snow looks like chunky cottage cheese, or brains, or something other than a smooth layer of snow. See attachment.

prometheus
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Uhhm..not sure if I would go hypervoxels for it, mainly because of it doesnīt support node shading, and you could create so cool snow ice translucent material in the nodes, do it with ordinare geometry and surfacing instead.

but if you do it with hypervoxels, you donīt need particles for the snow, Unless you donīt want animated snow falling first?

I would copy the rock geometry, make sure you can use subpatches, perhaps scale the cloned rock geometry and put that cloned geometry in another layer, use hypervoxels on that, to reduce the blobs, you can then increase subpatch levels to smooth out the hypervoxels, use viper and display subpatch levels to tweak it, when you get there..match the display subpatch levels in the render subpatch level.

You can control the distribution of the snow on the rock geometry by either painting a weight map or use texture or procedurals on particle size or even density.

try to play with hypervoxels on geometry vertices, select your object and go to properties and add hypervoxels from there.

Ill see if I can send you a sample later this evening, I got one hour left of work and then some laundry to do first, and perhaps watching the tv series spartacus tonight:)

Michael

Gillissie
11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
but if you do it with hypervoxels, you donīt need particles for the snow, Unless you donīt want animated snow falling first?

Right, I don't need animation, only a still of a rock with snow. The thing is, I am planning on rendering a bunch of objects with snow on them, so I wanted to use particles so that I don't have to modify each model to have snow. The process that you mentioned isn't practical for every object I'd like to use, and probably wouldn't look as organic.

I guess the answer is "no" to having smooth hypervoxels, which is a real shame. I hope Newtek adds a smoothing option to hypervoxels in the future.

prometheus
11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Right, I don't need animation, only a still of a rock with snow. The thing is, I am planning on rendering a bunch of objects with snow on them, so I wanted to use particles so that I don't have to modify each model to have snow. The process that you mentioned isn't practical for every object I'd like to use, and probably wouldn't look as organic.

I guess the answer is "no" to having smooth hypervoxels, which is a real shame. I hope Newtek adds a smoothing option to hypervoxels in the future.

The hv deformer isnīt easy to use and Itīs not really neccessary, just make sure to have enough divisions to avoid blob between voxels.

canīt you have the whole bunch of objects in one layer and clone that to another layer for the snow geometry?
Seems to me that it would be less practical to use particles for it.

Michael

prometheus
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM
you could of course just add particle fx to each object, and have enough particles in there, perhaps use different texture maps for birth rate.

or have ever rock object on one layer as mentioned before, but instead of using a secondary layer geometry, just add particles to the layer where all the rock objects are.

Michael

prometheus
11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
heres a pic sample..
just Hv applied directly on the rock objects vertices(not particles applied to the object) wich is a subpatch object.

enough subpatch divisions and a balance between particle size is what is important here, and a procedural texture in particle size in the hv panel, for distribution.

Edit..or use a painted weight map on the objects, and activate particle weight in the objects deform tab (you need to click on the hv particles to get to those properties)
Dont know how many rocks you would need or how different they should look, so this is for one single rock.

Michael

shrox
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Wouldn't that once have been the job for HVDeform? Once developed by the TuffLittleUnit as Waterpool, now integrated since importing Jonas into Newtek. Still, seems like unfortunately the last living person that could have made sense of the tool switched package about 50 years ago. :D Or something like that.
Ah... all those little hidden gems in LW, gotta love them... and pity, all those hidden gems unclear to anyone, so they simply sit their looking at you grinning cheekily. If only... someone at NT would make a list of all the tools already present in LW. :) I guess several people even at NT would be astonished what LW already has on board. And maybe start looking for the instructions so they could be given out to the community. :)

Agreed

dpont
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't know if you are PC,
but you could try a nodal setup
with the Texture node editor for
particle size, using the "Between"
output of the (DPKit) Particle Info node,
this value is the distance of the current
particle to the nearest particle,
needs to be re-scaled
depends of the initial particle size and
texture value.

Denis.

monovich
11-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Don't know if you are PC,
but you could try a nodal setup
with the Texture node editor for
particle size, using the "Between"
output of the (DPKit) Particle Info node,
this value is the distance of the current
particle to the nearest particle,
needs to be re-scaled
depends of the initial particle size and
texture value.

Denis.

I've always wanted to see what is do-able with this node.

prometheus
11-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I've always wanted to see what is do-able with this node.

Me too, Ivé wondered if it could help dissolve particles where they arenīt
gathered so much, where they are strayed away from others.
That would help a little to remove puffballs, and I would like to use that on my voxel spins..
http://vimeo.com/1539143

This is however voxel sprites on geometry directly, so Im not sure it would work.

or on fine particles straying away..
http://vimeo.com/5822430

Anyway, back to snow, hereīs another quicky snow pic, havenīt bothered on creating proper rocks or anything, just a quicky with one object cloned and repositioned beneath the other.

Itīs the same object segment and the same painted weight map wich makes it look unrealistic uniformly, but youīll get the idea.

Just copy segments on to other layers and paint a different weight map, but I would suggest to paste the segment back to the first layer and keep all rocks or segments in the same layer when your done with weight maps.

Michael

Gillissie
11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions, but I really didn't want to go and make alternate versions of my existing models just for snow. I plan on adding snow to at least 10 rocks, and at least as many trees, houses, plus other things that I haven't thought of yet. The particles/HV solution is the easiest to swap out models to render each one (since each is only a still), and I found that I can easily select the snow in Photoshop and apply a smart blur to it to smooth out the lumpiness. It takes about 15 seconds per render to do that, and I have found that it's not necessary for the trees since those look ok as-is.

I've attached more examples of my results. The rocks have the photoshop smart blur on the snow, the trees are direct renders. All renders have transparent backgrounds but I put them on a gray background here.