PDA

View Full Version : A couple of LightWave 10 questions...

Tracker
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I apologize ahead of time, but I have a few newbie questions concerning Lightwave 10.

First, I'm a hobbyist with not a lot of funds. I've downloaded the trial software of various 3d packages.

Blender is free, and it maybe powerful, but I just couldn't get past the interface. Besides Blender, the inexpensive or free software that I looked at didn't seem capable enough.

I may be wrong, but it seemed from the UI's and tutorials that some of the high-end 3d packages were more geared to character creation and animation...while others were more generalized. Autodesk seems like GM with a lot of brand overlap 3ds, Maya, and XSI...plus...it's so expensive!

I liked the Lightwave interface the best of all, so I'll probably go with the $895 new package for Lightwave directly from NewTek.

Two quick questions:
-First, I know I'll get the update to Version 10 when it becomes available.
But what about point upgrades(10.2, 10.3, 10.4)?
Will they be free for me also?

-Secondly, since there is a USB dongle involved, I would assume I could load duplicate copies of the software on both my desktop and laptop with no licensing issues? After all, I assume you need the dongle constantly seated in the USB port for the software to run, which insures only a single copy is running at any point in time.

I have no problem with dongles, I fact, I prefer them. But only if it allows me the convenience of loading my software onto all my machines. What I hate is installing software that communicates back to the manufacture's mothership and records all sorts of nonsense that in essence ties it to a specific box. Then transferring your license due to hard drive crashes, motherboard upgrades, or moving to new computers becomes a tech support pissing contest.

Along the same lines I read where the point upgrades come as "full installs" rather than "patches". Another wise move. There's nothing worse than having to reinstall a master version and then try to get the next four updates to overlay...one by one...successfully.

monovich
11-04-2010, 12:41 PM
dongle = run on any machine. just plug it in and go. no mothership needed.

new releases replace old releases. they don't patch on top.

not sure about .1 .2 .3 .4 but I haven't paid for an upgrade to LW since going from 8 to 9 then 9 to 10.

Tracker
11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi Monovich...

Thanks much for the info!

Eroneouse
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
As far as I know if you buy lightwave 9.6 now then yes you auto get LW 10 and as far as I am aware access to LW 10 upgrades right up to LW 11. Please someone correct me if I am mistaken in this.

lardbros
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Yup, that's right! All correct there :D

Paul_Boland
11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Lightwave 10 won't have a dongle. An interview in 3D World with Lightwave 10's creators, they said they are doing away with the dongle and moving over to a software lock of some sort. Which does beg the question you raised, can we install Lightwave 10 on our desktop and laptop?

colkai
11-06-2010, 06:35 AM
From what I can tell, it's all up in the air regarding how security is going to be handled so far. The usual caveat, forward looking and subject to change is likely to apply.

gordonrobb
11-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I think the point upgrades are free and the 10 to 11, 11 to 12 upgrades will be chargeable. However I think that these will be once a year.

cresshead
11-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Lightwave 10 won't have a dongle. An interview in 3D World with Lightwave 10's creators, they said they are doing away with the dongle and moving over to a software lock of some sort. Which does beg the question you raised, can we install Lightwave 10 on our desktop and laptop?

if newtek use a licence system like the softlock on my 3dsmax then it's fine as i can export the licence [from my home pc] to a usb key with a export to: 'destination pc' [work] for that licence when i export and then simply import the licence when i'm on that "destination pc" [work], i currently do this when doing 3d stuff at my day job until they pony up for a 3d app.

one thing to note with this system is that you HAVE to import to the destination pc [work] to get it back onto your home pc even if you don't use it at work that day...

one thing that totally put me off of using Newtek speed edit is that you can ONLY use it on the first pc you install it on...there's no portable licence system at all...it's STUCK forever on that pc...that just made me not use it and buy another video editor app.

Modo use a trust system...they trust you...
those low life's who'd steal software will always steal it and not pay for it and those who buy it should really be trusted to do the right thing...making a convoluted or welded to a pc install only HURTs legitimate users in realworld use...

the current system of a usb key is a breeze to use for lightwave..install it anywhere..pc mac any computer then just move the usb dongle to the puter you want to run lw on.....simple!

Tracker
11-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for everyone's input on this.
I think I'm going to place my order for Lightwave today.
I know people complain about hardware dongles as being inconvient.

But, assuming the dongle is time-tested and reliable(not flakey), then I vote for it.
It is the simplist and most convient solution for loading a single licence of the software on all your machines and yet assure only single use at any one time.
I already carry a ring of three USB drives in my pocket at all times, so adding fourth is no prob.

A lot of software vendors are getting ripped off by warze downloaders, or all that oem stuff that is keyless.
It just drives the cost up for the rest of us.
Althought I don't know if the hackers haven't somehow found a way to defeat even the true hardware dongle solution.

KEEP THE DONGLE!!!!!

Thanks again!!!

wesleycorgi
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I find the dongle works fairly well --- until I leave it at home! Then I'm cursing it.

I like the Adobe model of two (or three?) licenses, where you can activate and deactivate. So I am covered on my desktop and laptop, especially when I upgrade one of those computers.

What I like from NT, as mentioned, is that you get to use all flavors Window and Mac. I wish I could do that with Adobe.

EmperorPete
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
one thing that totally put me off of using Newtek speed edit is that you can ONLY use it on the first pc you install it on...there's no portable licence system at all...it's STUCK forever on that pc...that just made me not use it and buy another video editor app.
...Bwu?!?!? What if you decide to upgrade to a different PC? Are you expected to re-register it again or something...? I've run Lightwave on a succession of 7 different PCs over the years since I first bought it, and I doubt I'm anywhere near the only one. Having it stuck on one PC would be disastrously silly move.

SBowie
11-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Are you expected to re-register it again or something...?In my personal experience (and most people's I think), a call to Customer Service (a free call in North America) is all that is required. That said, over the years I've largely come to be a fan of dongles, if we must have anything.

radams
11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
In my personal experience (and most people's I think), a call to Customer Service (a free call in North America) is all that is required. That said, over the years I've largely come to be a fan of dongles, if we must have anything.

I second that comment...

especially if you are working with various systems...but need your tool sets to follow with you :)

Also it would be nice to have some kind of networkable license for schools, studios, and businesses...

hint hint ;)

(Yeah I'm back ;)

Cheers,

jasonwestmas
11-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Gee, that's half the reason I use LW. . .the dongle key/ 999 render nodes. Unless the soft lock will allow me to activate my license on multiple computers.

jasonwestmas
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
...Bwu?!?!? What if you decide to upgrade to a different PC? Are you expected to re-register it again or something...? I've run Lightwave on a succession of 7 different PCs over the years since I first bought it, and I doubt I'm anywhere near the only one. Having it stuck on one PC would be disastrously silly move.

Yeah I'd be gone if that happened.

robpowers3d
11-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Gee, that's half the reason I use LW. . .the dongle key/ 999 render nodes. Unless the soft lock will allow me to activate my license on multiple computers.

Hi Jason,

I'm a user Lightwave user too and I can assure you that we won't do anything that will make it less useful as far as the installation and licensing.

jasonwestmas
11-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi Jason,

I'm a user Lightwave user too and I can assure you that we won't do anything that will make it less useful as far as the installation and licensing.

Right, I didn't think licensing would change for the worst but others seem to think that it's on the table. I was just voicing my opinion on the matter and why the dongle method is so nice and such a powerful option as far as rendering.

radams
11-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi Jason,

Hi Rob,

That's great to hear...
Do you have a licensing plan to allow for site based (ie: through a server) for Schools, Studios, and business?

I know of at least two colleges that dropped LW due to not having a networkable license.

Cheers,

lardbros
11-10-2010, 12:55 AM
That is good news actually. Also, please don't forget about us poor people who don't have a work network connected to the Internet. Many packages look to the web for confirmation etc, but we will never have an Internet connection to our main work machines!