PDA

View Full Version : Noob Rigging Help

Nangleator
11-03-2010, 08:14 PM
After merely 15 years of professional LightWave work*, I have decided to buckle down and learn rigging by doing it. (I confess to using Proton's last reverse foot rig video to help out.)

I am completely stuck and flummoxed. My right femur is acting like it has "Unaffected by IK of Descendents" picked, although IT DOES NOT.

It took about an hour to get the left leg correct. I used Mirror Heirarchy to populate my character's right leg with bones, and created all the goals and position items by cloning the left side ones, setting up the parenting the same, then moving the top of the chain across the X axis and only then setting up the right side bones with the correct items.

Same rig, both sides. Same. I checked 30 times.

Please show me how much of an idiot I am.

* During which I have animated a few characters, with bones, but no real 'rigs.'

nickdigital
11-03-2010, 09:13 PM
You're R_Ankle joint Position was constrained to a null. Disabling that fixed it.

I notice your knees pop backwards if your legs are extended...you can fix that by putting rotational limits on them.

Nangleator
11-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Thank you. Knew I missed something, but couldn't find it.

I figured I'd set the rotation limits later, but thinking about it, it should have been done before setting any joints to IK. Now, I'll have to save it as a different file, bork the setup, and write down all the limits as I play with the joints.

Live and learn.