PDA

View Full Version : semi-advanced cloth simulation

michaeldejong
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
:help:
Hi Guys.

Question about a cloth simulation / dynamics in general.

Very common setup; a fan with some pieces of fabric tied to the frame, I have wind blowing them chaotically and realisticly, the funny thing is I cant figure out how to animate them in combination with the rotation of the fan itself, i have tried two things.

1- Parenting the fabric layer to the fan itself, with the fixed surface holding it in place.

2- making the front of the fan and the fabric one object and using a selection set fixed so that only the fabric will be affected by dynamics.

These both work EXCEPT that it seems to omit the keyframe ive given it to rotate, so its staying in place and ignoring its parent/self rotation.

Is there something obvious i have forgotten to do to achieve this ?

I hope this was explained properly as my writing skills are not a 10.

thanks for any feedback/help.

michaeldejong
11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
165+ views and nobody can help. Ive either stumbled upon something too simple to be validated or too complex to help with.

I think I have it though, must have just been the wrong setup because now I can have One object that is made partially of cloth and the rest of just ridgid material and the cloth follows the object and reacts to the objects movement.

LW still rocks.

:lwicon:

Dodgy
11-18-2010, 02:20 AM
It should be fairly simple. Did you have the strands parented to the frame? The bits attached to the frame set to fixed, so they stay in place?

3DGFXStudios
11-18-2010, 02:30 AM
You can fix the part you want to be locked with a weight map or point selection set.