PDA

View Full Version : Gradient node help - input type

monovich
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to use the gradient node for some experimenting.

I see that there is an input connection for it, but I'm having a hard time understanding what sorts of things I can plug into it.

If I want my input to be "distance to object" or "distance from center", what could I plug into that?

I know I could do this with the layers+ gradient, but it doesn't have inputs for each key on the gradient.

...this node stuff is still so confusing!

BlueApple
11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
A weight map can be fed into the gradient input for all sorts of nice effects.

lertola2
11-03-2010, 08:39 PM
If I want my input to be "distance to object" or "distance from center", what could I plug into that?

To get the distance to object use a node setup like the one attached. The Item Info node gives you the the position of the object pivot. The Spot Info node gives you the position of all the spots on the surface as they are rendered. The Distance node computes the distance between them. In the gradient node set start and end points to define the range of distances between which your gradient will be applied.

I hope that helps,
-Joe

monovich
11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
that makes a lot of sense Joe. Thanks for the help. I knew conceptually that it needed to be the distance between points, but couldn't figure out how to put it together.

I did eventually get there with a different node. I'm going to post my results tonight.

thanks!

monovich
11-04-2010, 06:35 PM
video wall with radial wipe... sorta. its not all the way there. there are so many ways to do it.