PDA

View Full Version : 3D Rings Rotating Around A Photo/Video Object...

KryptonianKid
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Been scratching my brains with this one, anyways what would be the best way to have 2 attached 3D rings rotating around a photo/video of a person?

What I mean is I want to give the impression the person is in the middle of the 3D rings while the rings are rotating around them. The only solution I have been able to come up with at the moment is rendering the rings seperating and then masking frame by frame the rings with the photo/video in after effects.

Surely there must be an easier way to create the effect i'm looking for?

nickdigital
11-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Are the people in your video against a green screen? If not then manually rotoscoping them is the way to go. CS5 has a new mask tool that might help.

Danner
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
render your rings in two sequences, one with the rings as you normaly would, on the other sequence add a plane that hides the back of the rings with a surface with 0 alpha value. Render it out to a 32bit format.

On a compositing or editing package put the regular sequence behind, then your croma keyed talent, and on top of that put the 32bit sequence.

KryptonianKid
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Are the people in your video against a green screen? If not then manually rotoscoping them is the way to go. CS5 has a new mask tool that might help.

Actually all 3 characters are me, and no wasn't filmed on a green screen, I have CS5, I know the tool you mean it's Roto Brush. I'm actually working on a still image of me as the characters.

render your rings in two sequences, one with the rings as you normaly would, on the other sequence add a plane that hides the back of the rings with a surface with 0 alpha value. Render it out to a 32bit format.

On a compositing or editing package put the regular sequence behind, then your croma keyed talent, and on top of that put the 32bit sequence.

Ok I'll try that thanks guys, I'll show you the result when I have done it.