PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to clone an object with expression attached to it?

Dennik
11-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm having a hard time cloning objects without messing up the referenced names in the channel expressions. I have to manually go in there, and make a clone of the expression and fix the names.
Is there a way to do this automatically? Otherwise it defeats the purpose.

xchrisx
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
depending on what you need to do, can you use an intermediary object for the expression. For example, use a null in the expression as a control rather than the object's name, then manipulate the null as a controller? If you need to make each of the expressions unique to a specific object, then you might try Relativity as it supports a SELF option that LW expressions do not.

Dennik
11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Relativity would be a good idea! The self option is what I need. The big drawback I see so far though is that it doesn't give realtime feedback. Unless I'm missing something here.

xchrisx
11-03-2010, 12:26 PM
There is a built in script/plugin that comes with lightwave (mine is in the Additional Plugins > generic Plugins > *REL:Make_Rel_Interactive) which should fix your problem and make relativity interactive.

Dennik
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
There is a built in script/plugin that comes with lightwave (mine is in the Additional Plugins > generic Plugins > *REL:Make_Rel_Interactive) which should fix your problem and make relativity interactive.

Wow. I'm really happy its actually something that I missed, and not something that just isn't there! Thanks a bunch Chris!