PDA

View Full Version : Having difficulty with Reduce Polys +

emstorm73
10-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I have modeled a square pillar that is fluted. I did the flutes using boolean operations. I have welded points to make sure that all polygons are connected.

Since the pillar has some 7000+ polys, and since I'm going to make a LOT of them, I need to get the poly count WAY down. When I try to use Reduce Polys + on it, though, I get the following error:

"Can't find any surfaces!"

HUH??? It has created the new object, and triangulated it before giving me the error.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Eric Storm

meshpig
11-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Is the mesh free of errors? Try Bandglue.

Kuzey
11-01-2010, 06:16 AM
The resulting n-gons from the boolean operation might be too large for LW to handle...just guessing. Try breaking them into smaller n-gons first.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

Danner
11-01-2010, 07:42 AM
after a boolean always merge, check for unconected pionts, 1 and 2 point polygons and use quemloss 3 to reduce geometry.

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html

emstorm73
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks, folks. It was the "make sure there are no errors" part that was causing the problem. When I removed the points not part of polygons, and the 2-point polygons, it worked.

Unfortunately, it didn't retain the shape with the level of reduction I needed, so I had to redesign the column. *sigh* Oh well.

Thanks for the assistance,
Eric Storm