PDA

View Full Version : Menu boxes too long

Revanto
10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
I have a laptop with a screen size of 1280 x 768 and my desktop with a screen size 1024 x 768. Whenever I use Lightwave on both machines, I sometimes encounter popup menu that are too long. It makes it hard for me or sometimes impossible for me to reach buttons and settings at the bottom of the menus.

Anyway, since there is no scroll bar for the menus, does anyone know how I can move the menus without having to clicking and dragging the top bar of the menu (which won't go past the screen borders which means I can't move it up)?

I should note that I have vision impairment so I REFUSE to use a higher screen size. High res screen hurt my eyes and start to give me a headache.

Any practical solutions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Dexter2999
11-01-2010, 12:13 AM
If you have vision issues I strongly urge you to try to get into the habit of using keyboard shortcuts rather than relying on menus.

If there are commands in your menu that don't have a shortcut for you can remap your keyboard accordingly.

meshpig
11-01-2010, 01:58 AM
I should note that I have vision impairment so I REFUSE to use a higher screen size. High res screen hurt my eyes and start to give me a headache.

Any practical solutions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

I'm vision impaired too... on macs Zoom is pretty useful. You can get large type stickers for your keyboard too, if you don't touch type already and can still see it. Yes keyboard shortcuts.

Also edit the menus so you get what you need first before they disappear off screen:)

Revanto
11-01-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm referring to menus that are too long and go off-screen. So, I cannot zoom, even if I had a that option on the PC. Also, you can't do everything with hotkeys. Some things require menus, especially in Layout, and when the menu is partially obscured, it's difficult to get things done properly. These are the menus that CANNOT be edited.

So, I'm asking again if it is possible to move menus around in Lightwave without having to click and drag the top bar of the menu?

Sorry I should have said 'panel' rather than menu as I'm referring to the windows that open up for some settings.

Revanto

borkus
11-01-2010, 06:57 AM
I had run into this before and had to go into my menu layout settings and move some things around. I'm on my laptop at the moment and don't have Lightwave installed on it so I can't look now but off the top of my head you can go into the area that has your setting and drag and drop things around to different tabs to make them shorter and make new folders if need be to have them all available.

Revanto
11-05-2010, 01:36 AM
This has NOTHING to do with the tabs! I'm referring to some tools that have pop up windows to change their settings. Sometimes there is only a few settings for the tool but the settings windows take up the whole height of the screen so it is near impossible to manually click OK or Cancel without having to change the screen resolution. The windows are not resizable and do not have scroll bars which is very frustrating.

All I wanna do is find out another way of 'moving' those windows so I can access buttons that are off screen.

Matt
11-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Does this setting make any difference for you?

Lightwolf
11-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Does this setting make any difference for you?
I believe he means the height of some panels, not pop-ups.

Cheers,
Mike

meshpig
11-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I believe he means the height of some panels, not pop-ups.

Cheers,
Mike

I think it's time he got a bigger screen... I can handle 1600 x 900 on a 27" screen without it hurting my eyes which are terminally running at about %8 of the normal field of vision. Fuzzy and bits missing land.

I used to think small screens were better because the "gaps" are smaller, like I can't bear the cinema because it's %80 not visible...

- For us VIP's ( vision impaired people) macs are the go because to buy the same assistive software for PC that comes with OSX is about the same as the latest imac.