PDA

View Full Version : Carrying animation over to a .3ds file

WaxSteel
10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi there

I'm trying to author some 3d files for use in the SilverMotion 3d web engine. It's sole file format is the .3ds file. They author directly from 3ds max in their examples & produce .3ds files that have basic animation built in that includes pivot rotation & x,y,z translation & scaling.

Not using 3ds, I'm saving out my test animations from Lightwave layout to FBX, then I'm using Autodesks FBX converter to turn them into .3ds files that include the animation.

For the most part this works, except I'm getting odd rotation results in the 3ds file when I check it in a 3d browser.

Its like a 50 degree bank rotation becomes a 5 degree bank rotation, & so on for pitch & heading. All other translations make it through ok. Kind of ruins the animation potential for me.

Anyone out there have any experience with making animated .3ds files in any other way with LW. Else it looks like I'm going to have to go further into Autodesk land for this one.

Thks Mark

stiff paper
10-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Are you baking the animation before saving it out? Actually, I guess that might not be a good idea if it's for web animation.

Otherwise, Point Oven might be one solution (??) http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

I haven't used it myself, but I know people who've used it to take animation from Maya > LW and it definitely works for that. It's mdd based. Then again, I guess that's still baked on every frame... hmm...

WaxSteel
10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Ah no I wasn't baking it. I checked the Fbx in QuickTime & reimported to see if it was getting hosed there but it's ok. Must be when I use the free fbx converter that its rotation values are getting changed. Squash stretch & translation animation works fine.

To be honest I hadn't come across animated 3ds files before.

May have to resort to point oven else it's 3dsmax.

stiff paper
11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Ah, what I meant was that baking the animation might make the transfer work.

But... then it occurred to me that baking the animation in LW or using Point Oven might be a *bad* idea because if it's going to be viewed in a browser, having every controller have a keyframe on every frame might not be sensible. It's definitely a lot of data you don't really need for anything.