PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Full Sail?

Etch
10-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey Everyone.

I'm coming up on my last few semesters of college at Missouri State in the Bachelors of Arts program and have run into some hitches. I originally got into the art program for BFA with an emphasis in illustration and a minor in computer animation (sort of). After a while I became disillusioned with the program and decided there were better things out there. Switched to the BA figured out what I feel is a better selection of classes/skills and took a semester off to keep thinking about things and reorganize.

Long story short, I ended up beginning to look up some stuff at Full Sail and so far things are going well in my talks with the Admissions Officer. Before I sent in my application and got more involved I was hoping some people actually in the industry could tell me what it was like either attending Full Sail, or just what their perception of it is. Thanks.

Dexter2999
10-31-2010, 12:55 AM
I can't speak as to the Graphics program but their audio tech's aren't held in the highest esteem and neither are the film program grad's. Personally I have met alot of crap grad's from there but a few good people as well. Like anywhere it runs about 80% crap, 20% excel.

Their accreditation has been an issue in the past. Limited Accreditation vs. being fully accredited. Not sure of where it stands now they may have that resolved.

I know it is comparable in price to DAVE School.

Both schools are in Orlando. I'm sure you can find more users here that speak of DAVE School. You probably won't find many Full Sail grad's here because they teach Maya not LW. So you might have better luck finding testimonials on a different forum.

Philbert
10-31-2010, 04:02 AM
I didn't go there, only DAVE School, but I know around DAVE Full Sail was kind of a joke. A couple of our teachers worked there but left as soon as DAVE opened. I hear many stories of classes being held at completely crazy hours including like 3 or 4 in the morning, equipment not working or not being available, and students being hired as teachers as soon as they graduate. I hear all the time about how amazing their tour is but once you've paid and actually start it's a completely different experience.

Here's an article I read a while back. This guy didn't seem to like his time there very much, of course it's just one guy.
http://www.ayrik.com/fullsail.html

BTW the price isn't quite comparable to DAVE, FS is 75k for 21 months. When I was at DAVE it was $25 for 12 months (one solid year with 2 1 week breaks), last I heard the price was raised to $30k. DAVE was not fully accredited before but they are now, which is great since it means my Occupational Associates degree is now a full Associates degree

Etch
10-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the responses :)

BTW the price isn't quite comparable to DAVE, FS is 75k for 21 months.

Can you tell me where you got those numbers? In the email they sent me they told me that including books, laptop, and software, their tuition was $61,500 for a 32 month B.S. in computer animation or game art. With a tuition rise of $3,000 coming in January of 2011.

@Dexter: Did you feel like full sail was the reason the 80% weren't good to work with or did it seem more like their own personal work methods that weren't so positive?

Again, thanks for the replies and for the link to the website. This is really helping me out.

Dexter2999
10-31-2010, 04:03 PM
@Dexter: Did you feel like full sail was the reason the 80% weren't good to work with or did it seem more like their own personal work methods that weren't so positive.

That 80% number isn't directed just at Full Sail. It seems any program anywhere with just about any subject. 80% of the class does enough to get by or fail. 20% of a given class really push themselves and get the most out of any given program (not to mention those who are just plain gifted to begin with). It has more to do with human nature, sociology, and statistics than any given school.

I think highly of DAVE School and wish I were in a position to attend. But you can check out the online demo reels of DAVE School grads and see for yourself. Even a great school will have those that are adequate (or less than) and it will have those that stand out above the rest.

Part of the problem with Full Sail is that they get a bad reputation because they turn out SO MANY graduates. This means that their 80% of adequate or failing students is higher by volume than other programs.

For what it is worth, the good Full Sail grads that I have met, don't tell people they went to Full Sail because they are aware of the reputation in some professional circles. They stand on their skills rather than on the reputation of the school.

I'm not saying you can't get a good education at Full Sail. But in some areas (again I can't speak to the graphics program) the name carries a stigma.

Philbert
10-31-2010, 04:30 PM

Can you tell me where you got those numbers? In the email they sent me they told me that including books, laptop, and software, their tuition was $61,500 for a 32 month B.S. in computer animation or game art. With a tuition rise of $3,000 coming in January of 2011.

Oh maybe it's different for different curriculums. I was watching a YouTube video with a current film student of theirs talking about it and he said it was $75k.

Even still That's double the amount that you have to pay back. I've been out of DAVE School for 7 years now and I'm still going to be paying off student loans for a number of years to come.

stevenpalomino
10-31-2010, 04:34 PM
hey Etch,

I was taking the Computer Animation course at Full Sail and dropped out 5 Months into it. I live in Kansas City as well and would suggest you intern at a studio as you learn a lot faster and you actually get production experience. If you're interested I know of two studios in kansas city and interned at both (PM me).. I'm currently at BranitFX a VFX studio in Kansas city and it's been great! They use Lightwave and have 2 graduates from the dave school..

Now as for full sail..I can only speak from personal experience.. but I didn't like it.. each month you get a new class and i felt like it wasn't enough time for what i wanted to learn because I would always still have questions and it's like they try to get rid of you and on to the next class.. I have a friend that is doing the web design class and he loves it and is about to finish.. i guess it depends on your taste.. but personally.. I think that it's not worth paying the 40k+ ... One of the artists at branitFX is self taught and I would say he's better than those who went to the school.. so.. personally.. i wouldn't really put too much weight in full sail...

Larry_g1s
11-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Is there something specific you're looking to study there?

Dexter2999
11-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Read through this and make up your own mind.
http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FSRWE_comments.html?page=1&type=&d_school=Full%20Sail%20Real%20World%20Education

NanoGator
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
We hired a bunch of DAVE School peeps for Avatar and they were excellent. I've also worked with a number of Full Sail people who are tops in the field.

I have to say, though, that they all succeeded because of the effort they put in. That's important to know because the DAVE school peeps we hired came recommended by their instructors.

Etch
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I guess there wasn't anything specific I wanted to learn, just the whole computer animation program was appealing.

Dexter, those reviews you posted were interesting. It seemed like some people really enjoyed attending the school and recognized that it would have limitations. Other people seemed to fairly critical whether reasonably so or otherwise.

Example in quotes:

ull Sail teachers are like the mafia, they give power to certain students, have them find dirt on certain students, then if the so said student does not comply, they threat to blackmail, and defame through social networking sites! Worse, they will send you a virus to crash your computer, to force you to come from behind, and the management is not hardly aware of what their hired hands are doing, because they are too busy trying to herd the next flock of students. It was the worst educational experience of my life, and I did not nor could I have learned anything from the so said course directors. Some of them were not even qualified to teach the subjects, and they knew it, when I confronted them. So, for me it was an uphill battle, and they tried to intimidate me every step of the way. I kept my dignity throughout, because I would not let them win, and finished. However, I hope to never see any of my former classmates, especially those who had been there for years while studying other majors, as it was just like starring in a movie, with the mafia coming after me.

I've begun checking out some other art schools but haven't really found much. Relocation isn't really much of an option at this point, but it doesn't seem like the schools available to me are well respected on average.

@Steve: I don't actually live in KC anymore, I live in Springfield and am attending MSU. Do you feel like you are really growing at your studios or do you seem to get the same jobs over and over? I work off and on and a video game studio here in town and though I hoped to learn some 3d there I've only actually touched their 3d stuff once over the course of a year.

Dexter2999
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
If you don't want to relocate there are some online options although they are non degree programs.
http://www.animationmentor.com/
http://www.fxphd.com/

NanoGator
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
If you're going to relocate then I don't see the point in even getting a degree on-line, as opposed to just learning on your own. A big part of finding work is having people that'll stand up and say "oh yeah, I worked with him, he's great!" And that's one of the things a place like Full Sail or DAVE school provides. Otherwise, the accreditation doesn't mean much.

*edited: Sorry, I wrote that really fast while waiting for a render to finish.

Larry_g1s
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
If you don't want to relocate there are some online options although they are non degree programs.
http://www.animationmentor.com/
http://www.fxphd.com/Let me through one more in there: http://www.ianimate.net. It's strictly character animation. It's why I asked what you were interested in learning.

NanoGator
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Err I meant 'earning a degree on-line', not 'taking a course on line'. I apologize for the confusing statement.

Steve Warner
11-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I ended up beginning to look up some stuff at Full Sail and so far things are going well in my talks with the Admissions Officer. Before I sent in my application and got more involved I was hoping some people actually in the industry could tell me what it was like either attending Full Sail, or just what their perception of it is.

If you're looking for a bachelor's degree, then Full Sail is not a bad choice. However if you're looking for a job, then I'd encourage you to consider the DAVE School.

We have students in nearly every major visual effects and gaming studio around the country, from Digital Domain to EA. We are the world's leading school for stereoscopic 3D visual effects training. And our placement rating is well above the national standard.

We've had a number of college graduates (including Full Sail graduates) come through the program who didn't feel that they were properly trained for the industry and couldn't find jobs. Most have said that they did more impressive work in the first three weeks of our program than they did in their fourth year in college.

If you're interested, call me tomorrow at 407-224-3283. I can prove beyond any doubt that the DAVE School is the best choice for modeling, animation and visual effects training.

Cheers!

Steve Warner
Executive Director,
Digital Animation and Visual Effects School

thomascheng
11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I have to agree. I went to Dave School about a year ago and the work I pumped out shocked me! The day after I graduated, I landed a job working on feature films. The school wants you to succeed and its a great learning environment. Especially if you put the work into it.

Here are some of my modeling projects in the first 3 months. The possum being the exception, made that towards the end.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SP00?feature=mhsn#p/a/u/1/hKu_8420SkQ

This is my final school reel after 1 year.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SP00?feature=mhsn#p/a/u/0/vRbmUx2ZaL8

Call Steve for more details. He's just an awesome guy! You also get free access to Universal Studios. When you are stressed out, just jump on a roller coaster. BTW, I'm not getting paid to do this :)

stevenpalomino
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Etch..

I worked at a 3D studio that didn't really let me play too much with 3D stuff.. but when I moved to another studio they actually let me do some work and some of my work actually made it to a couple of tv series :)

Although I didn't play too much with 3D things at the other studio I forced myself to ask if I could do anything.. there is always something you can do around the studio and the more people give you to do the more they are likely to give you..

Really.. I think it's all about drive and hard work.. do your best.. don't take anything for granted.. if you are asked to model rocks all day DO IT! Eventually you'll be working on bigger and better things! I started washing dishes and taking out the trash at the studio I'm at now (I actually offered to do it and I think that's why they let me intern there haha) and eventually the owner said "Hey I've got something for you to do".. so hey.. if you work hard you'll get there eventually.. just don't give up because you do boring things all day!

stevenpalomino
11-01-2010, 10:38 PM
If I recommended any school though I would totally recommend the DAVE school.. I want to go there myself.. I've seen great things from there and hear more satisfied people come out from there.. actually.. one of the artists at the studio I'm at here had Steve as a teacher and spoke great things about him.. so if anything i'd go to DAVE :P

tvtom
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
If you want to learn and work in Lightwave then there is no other choice ( I mean there might be but it wouldn't be a very good choice). DAVE School is the place to be. :)