PDA

View Full Version : view port rendering in LW and MODO

jitterbug
10-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I watched the lightwave 10 promo video with the speaker stating lightwave 10 is the only package which renders the scene with all lighting in the viewport in real time, which was great to see, good to know how your scene looks,

but the modo video on their site also shows viewport rendering, is there an advantage of the lightwave VPR rendering method over the modo method, does one require less memory, is faster in reality?

speismonqui
10-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I've read that VPR is faster than Modo 401, but 501 is gonna be faster than LW's. However modo's 401 viewport renderer is just a previewer, LW's 10 VPR is the same as the final render. But I could be wrong.

Nemoid
10-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Modo's one it's quite faithful to final render too. 501 one should be on the same level of Lw one, and work in viewports as well. I dunno about same features as we saw for CORE where u can select things and model too.
This being said Lw render is more mature than Modo's for now.
Also, in Modo 401, problems come when you work with large scenes.

Lightwolf
10-30-2010, 08:07 AM
I dunno about same features as we saw for CORE where u can select things and model too.
That's in 501 as well.

Cheers,
Mike

silviotoledo
10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
VPR would be nice if supports FFX , but it seems it will not once it's post :(.

Does Modo renders FUR in viewport?

Intuition
10-30-2010, 11:17 AM
VPR would be nice if supports FFX , but it seems it will not once it's post :(.

Does Modo renders FUR in viewport?

modo runs everything in the previewer. Instances, hair, fur, displacement, etc. Its sad I don't use modo for rendering final work because the setup time is so fast. Now they just need to make network rendering and that shader tree much better. ;) Otherwise its a steller engine with a great previewer.

Nemoid
10-30-2010, 01:47 PM
modo runs everything in the previewer. Instances, hair, fur, displacement, etc. Its sad I don't use modo for rendering final work because the setup time is so fast. Now they just need to make network rendering and that shader tree much better. ;) Otherwise its a steller engine with a great previewer.

Lol they keep to be in love with that shader tree :D, but i always found Lw surface editor better for simpler things, and nodal is gorgeous for complex tasks. They added nodes for rigging, tho, so may be that something nodal for texturing will chime up in something like 601 ?

jitterbug
10-31-2010, 04:29 AM
I remember when modo first came out the preview, people were wowing at how you could preview the scene in the previewer with light and shadows, now LW has caught up and taken over, in the viewport, I`m glad the company is doing well. I have been learning blender, lol, to get into 3D, its very interesting, for a free app is amazing to me, especially with compositor and sequencer, have been able to learn a lot about 3D for free without dishing out a lot of bucks,

and am deciding between modo and lightwave, I want to do my own short animations and 3d for static illustrations imported into photoshop. I`m thinking of LW over modo because of the long history (robust, time tested) and particles,but modo hair looks a treat.

I`m embarking on learning one, LW/modo this next 12 months, these softwares take a long time to learn and get comfortable with, is the modo modelling tools (its highlight) far outweigh that in lightwave? (faster, do more easier?) I know you can paint on instances and model almost like zbrush on the model surface in Modo from what i`ve seen, that doesnt concern me, just in terms of a rich modelling set, is LW limited in anyway compared to modo?

I don`t wish to start a war modo/LW just anyone who has used both some personal experience feed back would be good thanks,,,

Elmar Moelzer
10-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Fibre FX

dballesg
10-31-2010, 11:58 AM
You forgot banana yellow :D