PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 10 Video Collection: Linear Colorspace Workflow

TheDeacon
10-29-2010, 04:26 PM
NewTek continues its communication with the masses about the new benefits of LightWave 10, with a series of videos that explore these benefits in greater detail. In the next video in the series, NewTek Supervisor of Content Development, Jarrod Davis, explains the ins and outs of Gamma Correction and provides insight into the Linear Colorspace options available in LightWave 10. For more information about Linear Workflow and Gamma Correction, visit this thread (../../forums/showthread.php?t=102397&highlight=linear+workflow), started by dev team member, Matt Gorner.

Check it out HERE (http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=99)

mikadit
10-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the new video.

-
Matt Gorner tutorial link need to be corrected:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102397&highlight=linear+workflow

Sekhar
10-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Cool video, didn't know Jarrod speaks so well.

Lewis
10-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks for video TheDeacon, it's very nice one and J-rod did excellent job on explaining it well.

BTW your Link to thread is broken (http://../forums/showthread.php?t=102397&highlight=linear+workflow).

Hopper
10-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Very cool, but there's one option missing from the CS tab... "Make Defulat". Why should I have to set these for every scene... right... Let the user make the assumption of inputs, not the application. I realize there is an "Auto Sense" option, but I should still be able to force it regardless.

No ?

Lewis
10-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Very cool, but there's one option missing from the CS tab... "Make Defulat". Why should I have to set these for every scene... right... Let the user make the assumption of inputs, not the application. I realize there is an "Auto Sense" option, but I should still be able to force it regardless.

No ?

You don't need to do it every time, what you choose in settings once it stays there (and being saved with scene for auto sense load) after you close LW. It's very smart :D.

Hopper
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
You don't need to do it every time, what you choose in settings once it stays there (and being saved with scene for auto sense load) after you close LW. It's very smart :D.
Thank you. Sometimes the simplest of concepts escape me. But then again .. it's Friday - my brain is only at 1/4 impulse power.

thomascheng
10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
This just sped up my the lighting part of production. Good to see LW workflow going faster.

Mr Rid
10-29-2010, 07:16 PM
How about being able to load display LUTS in LW? If the compositors are working with plates under a display LUT, and I am expected to match my CG to that, then I need to be able to load the plate and apply the same LUT for integrated lighting in LW. Then when the compositor imports my CG it behaves under the same display LUT as the plate.

JeffrySG
10-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Nice video... but when are you guys going to stop referring to sRGB as a 2.2 gamma space (it's only one of many). Not everyone uses sRGB and you're alienating the entire print and design industry by using incorrect terms. If you mean 2.2 gamma space just say that.

GandB
10-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Glad to see more frequent videos discussing up and coming things for LW10. ;)

evolross
10-29-2010, 10:19 PM
How about being able to load display LUTS in LW?
Agreed, though are there multiple formats for LUT files? I know there's an Autodesk-brand LUT. Then there's 2D LUTs versus 3D LUTs... sounds like it could be complicated.

Isn't there a node out there that can load a color profile now? Is this different than a LUT or one-in-the-same?

Serling
10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
OK, I watched the entire video and got to the end and still didn't quite get the point. Is he saying I need to set my options to sRGB or Linear? (I work in video, so I'm only used to RGB or NTSC gamuts.)

And why, if he's promoting the advantages of a "linear color workflow", is sRGB even an option for output if - by his example - the increased gamma just trashes the image?

Sorry for all the questions, but obviously this stuff went way over my head.

Update:

Just watched Matt's tutorial. Understand it better now but just need to ask if the input and output are both set to sRGB, does this "de-gamma" the input then "re-gamma" the output, as Matt's tutorial points out?

In other words, if I'm using JPEG, 32-bit TIF, or 32-bit TGA (the latter 2 being RGBA but not FP images), do I choose sRGB on the input to de-gamma them but use sRGB on the output to increase the gamma on the entire scene?

dee
10-30-2010, 02:46 AM
How about being able to load display LUTS in LW? If the compositors are working with plates under a display LUT, and I am expected to match my CG to that, then I need to be able to load the plate and apply the same LUT for integrated lighting in LW. Then when the compositor imports my CG it behaves under the same display LUT as the plate.

There is a load table option at the bottom of the dropdown list.

lino.grandi
10-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Cool video, didn't know Jarrod speaks so well.

Thanks for video TheDeacon, it's very nice one and J-rod did excellent job on explaining it well.

BTW your Link to thread is broken (http://../forums/showthread.php?t=102397&highlight=linear+workflow).

Yeah! Thank you Jarrod....I want more video with you speaking!!!

OnlineRender
10-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Very nice , anybody else get the impression ,that NT marketing are starting to kick some *** ! .

COBRASoft
10-30-2010, 05:43 AM
OnlineRender: yeah, it starts to make sense even :D.

wrench
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised no-one has commented about the additional Nav tab in options now (visible at 5:19)?

B

JamesCurtis
10-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I wonder what's that's for? Custom Tab? New features/settings relating to navigation?

rsfd
11-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Just for the NewTek Team:
the stream constantly breaks at 02:12 when watched with Safari 5.0.2 on OSX 10.6.4
works with Firefox however

And kudos to Jarrod Davis!

wyattharris
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
In other words, if I'm using JPEG, 32-bit TIF, or 32-bit TGA (the latter 2 being RGBA but not FP images), do I choose sRGB on the input to de-gamma them but use sRGB on the output to increase the gamma on the entire scene?
Which then basically brings it to linear. As I'm understanding Lightwave's handling of it, input works opposite of output which cancel each other out and bring you back to center.

Much simpler workflow, I dig it.

Intuition
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Yay, Finally ...Lightwave caught up with where Vray, mental ray, Renderman were in 2004. ;D I remember seeing Dan Maas video of the mars rover footage and found out it was rendered in renderman. It is quate amazing that someone that long ago made a bridge for LW to Renderman and it still isn't available. Still that sweet 2.2 gamma was in use then by default in PRman.

Naw, but seriously. This is a good video and Jarrod explains it pretty well and the marketing is continuing the current NT quality trend.

Its all up from here. :D

Great work NT. :newtek: :thumbsup:

DragonFist
11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I agree. The videos have been great. VPR and the linear color workflow are two main items that have me jumping into HC as soon as funds are available.

Matt
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm surprised no-one has commented about the additional Nav tab in options now (visible at 5:19)?

B

Virtual Cinematography controls.

speismonqui
11-01-2010, 04:59 PM

B

There you'll find options for enabling or disabling the viewport cube :D:D:D

PS. Sorry, its not funny.

Netvudu
11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I think the video is very nicely explained. Itīs difficult to explain it better for someone with no prior idea on linear workflow.
I do question the election that Jarrod did of the scene. I mean, it looks like a shot from a "el-cheapo" B-series terror film. It surprises me twice as much because Jarrod Davies usually shows some really cool scenes and renders. It looks like being in a hurry he just threw in a few objects and textures.
Any arch-viz oriented scene a la Evermotion would be way better for explaining the huge difference linear workflow offers.

I still thank Newtek and Jarrod for such a nice explanation and clever implementation into the software.

Cageman
11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Yay, Finally ...Lightwave caught up with where Vray, mental ray, Renderman were in 2004. ;D I remember seeing Dan Maas video of the mars rover footage and found out it was rendered in renderman. It is quate amazing that someone that long ago made a bridge for LW to Renderman and it still isn't available. Still that sweet 2.2 gamma was in use then by default in PRman.

Naw, but seriously. This is a good video and Jarrod explains it pretty well and the marketing is continuing the current NT quality trend.

Its all up from here. :D

Great work NT. :newtek: :thumbsup:

Well... Maya 2011 is the first release that has a similar implementation as LW has regarding Colorspace workflow. Previously, you had to deal with the same kind of workarounds in Maya as in LW.

:D

MrWyatt
11-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Well... Maya 2011 is the first release that has a similar implementation as LW has regarding Colorspace workflow. Previously, you had to deal with the same kind of workarounds in Maya as in LW.

:D

Yes but they screwed up big time because in maya 2011 the only things that are gamma handled is the mentalray rendering globals and the file texture node. Those morons forgot to ad gamma corrected color picking and swatches. so basically you still have to use a gamma node for every color you might pick in maya, including, surface attributes, light colors, procedural textures, basically everything that has a color. In all honesty, maya 2011's color management is a joke and a really bad one at that.

Cageman
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Yes but they screwed up big time because in maya 2011 the only things that are gamma handled is the mentalray rendering globals and the file texture node. Those morons forgot to ad gamma corrected color picking and swatches. so basically you still have to use a gamma node for every color you might pick in maya, including, surface attributes, light colors, procedural textures, basically everything that has a color. In all honesty, maya 2011's color management is a joke and a really bad one at that.

Oh... ouch... :/

gerardstrada
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
That's a good idea for 3DLUTs, but the thing is that 3DLUTs used in post-production packages work usually within a color management (CM) system, but CG artist workstations are not always linked to this system because it's prohibitive or unavailable. This brings disparities in the displayed color appearance, which means we'll get very different results according to the machine the LUT is running, because without the proper CM system, a 3DLUT will use linear interpolations and it won't take into account reference color spaces and gamut mapping. In such a case, an addition for ICC/ICM compatibility for color profile conversions would be more suitable for CG work because it provides a consistent color reproduction in a more accurate and cheaper way.

Agreed, though are there multiple formats for LUT files?
Though we might convert from one LUT format to another, it won't guarantee that the resulting colors will look the same on all implementations (every color system won't display the same resulting colors, not even in the same machine).

Isn't there a node out there that can load a color profile now?
SG_CCNode (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/CCTools/) can perform color profiles conversions.

Is this different than a LUT or one-in-the-same?
It's different for the reasons I mentioned above. From a user point of view it's slower because an ICC/ICM color profile conversion is not a 'look at table' solution - though there are ways to use a color profile as a LUT - the main advantage is that the ICC/ICM color profile conversions allow better color consistency and predictability in a cheaper way. Would be more useful to have both options, I think.

Gerardo

CF01
11-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Virtual Cinematography controls.

That's too bad. I was hoping we would actually get some different viewport navigation options. I hate Layout's navigation. Even after nearly 10 years of using Lightwave I find it so slow to use compared to the turntable style that a number of other apps use. I'd also love some trackball rotation depending on what I'm working on.