PDA

View Full Version : Basic Lightwave Question

stevedross
10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
I have a real old version of Lightwave. Anyway, I've done this a hundred times, but for some reason its not working.

I have a disc with a "face" and a "back" surface. I want an image (the same image) on both surfaces so when the disc object rotates, the image is on both surfaces. When the object goes 180 to reveal the back of the disc I want the image to look normal and not flipped. I thought all I had to do was to change the texture center from a positive number to a minus number. For some reason, its not working.

Am I making sense?

Thanks for your help!
Steve

Svenart
10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
You can use autosize to make the image fit to the size of the disc. then, copy the surface "face" to "back" and rotate at "H" channel 180Degrees. Hope I understood you right...

Stunt Pixels
10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Swapping the x axis scale from positive to negative should work for you.

stevedross
10-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. I swapped the x from negative to positive, but the image won't flip. As I mentioned, I've done this a hundred times before, but haven't worked with LightWave in a few months so I thought I had forgotten how to flip the image. It appears I haven't.

Maybe since its an older version (5.6) its not compatible with Windows XP Pro service pack 3?

SBowie
10-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Are you certain you actually have two polys, not just one with double-sided turned on?

dwburman
10-29-2010, 07:33 AM
If your image is projected in the Z or Y axis then changing the X scale on the image to negative should work. If, however, your texture is projected in the X axis then you'd need to change the scale on the Z axis to negative.

If you still can't figure it out and your object geometry is perfectly symmetrical you can fix it in rendering. Animate the object from edge to edge. Make your start frame -90 and the end frame +90 (assuming you modeled your object facing Z) so that you're looking at the object's edge and you can't see the image on the face. You'll only have to render half of the animation (180 degrees instead of 360) to get a loop.

lwaddict
10-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Sound like a double sided poly thing...

Try making the disc, surfacing it...
then copying it onto another layer (or not, still doable without the layers, you DID say OLD version of Lightwave so...)...
spin the disc around...
cut and paste back into original layer with original textured disc...
merge polys.

BAM, two sides, both with the same texture.

stevedross
10-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks again guys for the help. I'll try that. We're loading Lightwave up on an older system to see if anything changes. Its a simple process I know. I've always done it by swapping negative for positive, etc. I'm either having a brain hemorage or something's afoote.

Also, I created this disc on the Z plane, dragged it out a bit on the Z plane. Gave the front a surface name, gave the side a different name, and the back a different name. On the older PC I still have the same issue of the image being flipped even though I've tried negative numbers on both the Z and X planes under "Texture Center." This is making me nuts.

Have a great weekend!
Steve

stevedross
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Nevermind everyone. I was swapping + and - in Texture Center and not Texture Size. Thanks everyone again for the replies and especially DWBurman for saying the key word "Scale."

Have a great weekend!
Steve

P.S.
I hope to upgrade to the newest version soon. Then the questions will really be flying. God help you all:)