PDA

View Full Version : Disable 'Play Range' for good

jcupp
10-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd like to permanently disable the 'Play Range' function. I never use it but I keep inadvertently enabling it. It's annoying and I just want it to go away. Maybe I'll build a new skin. :devil:

Jim_C
10-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Agreed.

Or something to make it harder to turn on, like a triple click or key/click combo to enable.

It's too close to one of the most frequently clicked parts of the GUI and too easy to turn on.

SBowie
10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Agreed.

Jim_C
10-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Great addition tho.. I do use it quite often.

Sure would be nice to tie it into a selective Render option... :)

dweinkauf
10-28-2010, 06:34 PM
This feature bugs me too, but I live with it. Perhaps there could be a switch in <preferences> added to turn it "on" or "off."

wvp
10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
it says in the manual that you can enable/disable the play range bar by clicking it while holding the CTRL key

dweinkauf
10-31-2010, 02:08 PM
You can disable it as the manual says, but the problem is that you can't take it off the play range bar. If you accidentally hit the play range bar even if you don't hit the play range itself, it's activated once again. Even if you load a new project, it's still there. There needs to be a way to have the play range disappear from the play range bar. The pull down menu at the right is no help either. You can <enable play range> and click on that again to disable it, but the range you've been using remains on the play range bar ready to be accidentally activated again. I see this as a bug that needs to be fixed.

SBowie
10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
There needs to be a way to have the play range disappear from the play range bar.All it really needs is to require a qualifer key (with mouse) to activate it in the first place. The whole problem is that right now it's too easy to activate accidentally when attempting to click in the time bar.

dweinkauf
10-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Steve,

I agree that it's too easy to accidentally activate it. Before I saw your suggestion, I submitted a bug report suggesting that in the pull down menu to the right of the play range bar there be a command such as <delete play range>. That would allow you to eliminate a play range from the bar and require you to go to the pulldown menu to activate another one. If you never use the menu to activate a play range in the first place, the play range won't be there waiting for us to accidentally activate it.

SBowie
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Before I saw your suggestion, I submitted a bug report suggesting that in the pull down menu to the right of the play range bar there be a command such as <delete play range>.That was my original suggestion too Dave, 'back when'. It was explained to me that SE always has a 'play range' ... just that ordinarily, it's 'full project length'. So you can't actually 'delete' the range, per se. The trick is to support a convenient custom play range, while making it very unlikely for that to happen unintentionally.

dweinkauf
10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Steve,

You're right about the timeline always having a play range, but when you first enter SE and do nothing, that default play range is always the length of the project. It doesn't matter if you accidentally click on the play range bar or not because at that default setting, there is no play range in place to manipulate - the project will always play the length of the project or until you stop it.

The trouble starts when you pull down the menu and select <enable play range>. That puts a play range in place that you can manipulate. The trouble is you can't get rid of it if you change your mind or even if you load another project. What would be nice would be if the <enable play range> was a toggle switch that would either put a play range that you can manipulate in place or take that play range off the play range bar so that you can go back to the default of having SE play the entire range of the project.

As it now stands, the <enable play range> switch is not a toggle switch, but a switch that puts a play range in place and keeps it there. Clicking that switch again simply disables the play range temporarily until you hit the play range bar again by accident to activate the play range. Again, if the <enable play range> switch was a toggle switch, we could get back to the default setting without having to put up with the consequences of accidentally hitting the play range bar.

SBowie
11-01-2010, 06:39 AM
It doesn't matter if you accidentally click on the play range bar or not because at that default setting, there is no play range in place to manipulate ... snip ... The trouble starts when you pull down the menu and select <enable play range>You don't actually have to touch the menu, Dave. An unintentional click won't do it it, but a click with an ever-so-short drag will (i.e., an ever so slightly misplaced timebar scrub operation.

As it now stands, the <enable play range> switch is not a toggle switch, but a switch that puts a play range in place and keeps it there.It toggles enforcement of the current play range. This is actually quite useful, and I wouldn't want to lose it.

Actually dumping the user-established range settings and resetting to 'as launched state' as you propose would be a different function - perhaps not a useless one, but really (imho) functionally redundant for any practical purpose if it there was no danger of accidentally activating the play range with an errant click. (I'm pretty sure that if initially setting, re-activating, or modifying the play range required a simple qualifier key along with the mouse click or drag, this conversation would never have arisen.)

dweinkauf
11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Steve,

You're right about the misplaced timebar scrub operation. I never noticed that before but now realize that's how I must have activated it by accident in the past. Your qualifier key idea is a good one. My bottom line is I want to activate, deactivate, and delete the play range as production speed and needs dictate. I don't want accidental misfirings to get in the way of what I have to accomplish. Perhaps my dislike for the play range feature is the fact that I rarely, if ever, have a need for it with the kind of editing I do. When it crops up by accident, it slows me down and tends to irritate me. Again, I just want TOTAL control over whether to use it or not - I don't want SE making that decision for me.

SBowie
11-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I just want TOTAL control over whether to use it or not - I don't want SE making that decision for me.100% agreed.

jcupp
11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Since I don't ever use the function I just nuked it in the skin. Simply replace the mask.png in the skin:
c:\program files\newtek\speededit2\skins\videoeditor\mainwind ow\tabs\timeline\default\normal
with the attached version.

Be sure to make a copy of the original.

Typical disclaimers apply!