PDA

View Full Version : Easy way for mouse-overs?

macahuna
10-27-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm working on an animation that has to run continuously (looping), but the client wants clickable mouse-overs so that when clicked (or moused over) an explanation box appears. I was hoping to pull it off in Flash, but that's not an option (I'm not in the mood or budget for Swift 3D).

Can I place the movie in Dreamweaver and assign hot spots?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Ron

BlueApple
10-27-2010, 08:42 AM
You could probably do it in Dreamweaver, but my knowledge there is limited. I don't see why you couldn't put a .mov in a page, set it to loop, and then put a clickable hotspot over the top.

I would personnally pre-render whatever sequences you need, import the images sequences/movies into Flash, build your structures and export a .swf. Throw that in your web page or create a standalone .exe/.app and you're set. This could just be that I'm more comfortable with ActionScript than html, so to each his own.

If you don't truly need real-time 3D I encourage you to avoid it.

And... you should head over to the Dreamweaver forums, as this isn't so much a LW question.

Good luck.

macahuna
10-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Blueapple, thanks. From what I've gleaned online, you can't get from LW to Flash without something like Swift 3D ($299, hasn't been upgraded since 2007).

I've got wheels turning, fans spinning, arrows and gas flowing through pipes, (let's not forget the flickering flame in the burner!), and now they want to add descriptive boxes as mouse-overs.

I think you're right about the .mov with hot spots, though. I'm happy playing with points, vectors, and pixels - HTML and ActionScript make my eyes close.

Thanks again.