PDA

View Full Version : hairFX and shave and a haircut

jitterbug
10-25-2010, 02:21 PM
How does hairFX compare with the flexibililty in creating different hair types for animation with shave and a haircut by Joe Alter?
anyone with any experience in these, feedback appreciated, ..

UnCommonGrafx
10-25-2010, 02:33 PM
It doesn't. Period.

UnCommonGrafx
10-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Worley needs grooming tools in the render space.
Here's to hoping we see a whole bunch from him after Core see the light of day.

I haven't tried it lately, but there were versions that still worked with the latest. S&H Had the best grooming tools around; still, to this day, this is pretty much still the case.

jitterbug
10-26-2010, 03:15 AM
thanks :), I emailed Joe Alter who created S&H, he said "probably no" in developing it for LW.

mav3rick
10-26-2010, 04:10 AM
ask worley :) i am interested if he is still alive.. or he moved on bahamas after fprime sales

lwaddict
10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Bummer on Joe, but that was a long ugly story.

I still have fond memories of being one of the many beta testers for Shave and a Haircut... "Did someone say instancing?", LOL.

Good times, good times.

Worley will pull a rabbit out of their hat though...
they always do.

silviotoledo
10-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Joe's system is behind Max hair, wich is probably the best tool for hair modeling actually. Better than shave itself.

No hope having shave and haircut for lightwave anymore.

Fiber FX is good. Try it!

Sasquatch have better transition between surfaces, sometimes better shading, but bad integration actually.

I'd like to see better hair dynamics in lightwave

Dodgy
10-26-2010, 04:26 PM
All owners of S&H were beta testers. Every day there was a new build and every day there were new bugs. The most unstable plugin I've used probably.

In fact one of Sas's publicity lines was 'we don't expect our customers to beta test the software.

lwaddict
10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow, what a statement...

then you might remember the fact that at the time...
Newtek was working feverishly with Worley on SasLite, to be included with the next rev of Lightwave, and the word was that they weren't getting the new builds to Joe like 'other companies' at the time.

And so Joe was having a tough time keeping up, sometimes requiring entire rewrites along the way as he got his latest patches with the rest of us.

And buggy? Sure. Beta? Definitely. But we all knew that going in.

And where is it now? Working great in another app whilst we post thread after thread about what we can't do with our hair system.

Sas Full is kewl...and sure, we use what we have available...
but face it, "Shave" was headed in better places.
The interface was so simple to use it ain't funny.

I realize different people took to different sides of the fence on this one, but from my viewpoint, WE all lost out.

Joe's a great guy tah boot for that matter. Answered every email I ever sent him throughout the process... can't say that for a lot of our current 3rd party developers or even our training DVD sites.

Dodgy
10-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Wow, what a statement...

then you might remember the fact that at the time...
Newtek was working feverishly with Worley on SasLite, to be included with the next rev of Lightwave, and the word was that they weren't getting the new builds to Joe like 'other companies' at the time.

I really don't think that was the case. LW didn't change THAT much in the entire time S&H was out on LW that justified the amount of difference between one build and the next. After Joe abandoned S&H people were still using different parts from different builds because the both parts of the last build didn't work. I really fought with it to get it working and in the end I just gave up. If it had improved over time I would have remembered like that, I loved the fact I only paid less than $100 for it and it had dynamics and instancing and (when it did work) looked really good.

The fact is people had to ask the group mailing list which build to use, and that's a sad comment on the stability of the plugin.